Choosing a homestay, also known as a bed and breakfast, can be a good idea, especially for those who are new to the city and appreciate the reassuring presence of a host. As homestays only have a few guest rooms in a residence, service is intimate and personalized, and the hosts usually go overboard to please and offer invaluable advice. In addition, guests are served delicious home cooking and get to experience the Indian way of living.
These popular Delhi homestays offer affordable and delightful alternatives to hotels in Delhi. Most are located in quiet, modern residential areas in south Delhi.
This B&B is full of charm and character. It's located in a residential area of east New Delhi, in a three story building with enchanting terraces and rooftop garden. There are plants everywhere and seating to relax in. The hosts are a husband and wife whose family has been in the hospitality business for three decades, and it shows in their warmth and helpfulness. Guests will be treated to superb food, interesting conversation, and Indian cooking lessons if they wish. Children are welcome, and the host can organize tours and take care of travel arrangements. Be sure to book well in advance!
- Address: Friends Colony, East New Delhi. Ph: (91) 98-1105-7103.
- Price: 3,000 to 3,550 rupees ($70 to $85) per room.
- Address: 11, Nizamuddin (East), New Delhi. Ph: (91) 98-1108-8966.
- Price: 4,750 rupees for a single room and 5,000 rupees for a double room.
3. Tree of Life
What makes the tranquil Tree of Life unique is its wellness focus. One of the hosts practices and teaches yoga and foot reflexology -- perfect for tired and stressed travelers! The other owns a reputable car rental company, and is very helpful with making travel arrangements (including booking train tickets) and providing sightseeing advice. There's also a terrace with a fabulous view of Qutub Minar, and a DVD and book library. All in all, this bed and breakfast is a haven for relaxation. You'll feel very well taken care of. When you do want to venture out, there's a Metro train station only five minutes walk away!
- Address: D-193, Saket, New Delhi (near PVR complex). Ph: (91) 98-1027-7699.
- Price: 4,000 rupees for a single, 4,500 rupees for a double per night.
4. The Estate
The Estate is a gorgeous property that consists of a delightful rambling mansion and annex with peaceful garden, located in the quiet outskirts of south Delhi. The bed and breakfast is only around 25 minutes from Delhi airport, which makes it a great alternative to an airport hotel. There are eight rooms -- five in the annex, two in the main house, and one in The Estate extension. The rooms are modern and beautifully decorated in warm, rustic tones. It's child friendly, and kids will love the swings in the garden. There's also a communal lounge with books for guests to relax in.
- Address: R-668, New Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi Ph: (91) 98-9916-6656.
- Price: Around 4,500 rupees per night for a double.
6. Sai Villa
Sai Villa is a new B&B that's been architecturally designed and remodeled. It's located in an exclusive residential neighborhood, near Delhi's up-market shopping malls and restaurants, and the IT hub of Nehru Place. The B&B is run by a personable young professional couple. Guests will love the stylish furniture and special mood lighting in the rooms, as well as the unlimited breakfast and complementary tea, coffee, juice, and cold drinks available throughout the day. The second floor room that opens onto a terrace is particularly attractive. Guests will also appreciate the ease of being able to get auto rickshaws nearby.
- Address: E-578, Greater Kailash Part II, New Delhi. Ph: (91) 98-1106-9943.
- Price: 2,900 to 3,500 rupees per room including tax.
7. Grace Home
- Address: D-182, Saket, New Delhi (near PVR complex) Ph: (91) 98-1106-9943.
- Price: 1800 rupees for a single, 2,200 rupees for a double, and 3,500 rupees for a family room, including tax.
- Address: G-49, Nizamuddin West, New Delhi. Ph: (91-11) 4737-3449.
- Price: Rates range from 4,000-6,000 rupees.
9. The Rose
- Address: T-40 Hauz Khas Village, New Delhi. Ph: (91-11) 6450-0001.
- Price: Rates range from 4,800-7,000 rupees.
10. Colaba House
- Address: B2/139 Safdarjung Enclave, New Delhi. Ph: (91-11) 4067-1773.
- Price: Rates range from 5,500- 6,500 rupees.