Unfortunately, Mumbai isn't a city that's known for its cheap hotels, and there's limited choice for those on a tight budget. However, if you're willing to sacrifice a few comforts there are some clean but basic accommodations available. Rates rise every year though. And, something to keep in mind is the locality of the accommodations. While there are relatively low cost accommodations in some of Mumbai's suburbs, the reality is that you'll be isolated and spend hours traveling to see the city's tourist attractions.
Here are eight decent guest houses and cheap hotels in Mumbai, which are well situated and will help you stretch your dollar further.
Looking for somewhere else to stay that's cheap in Mumbai? Check out the great deals and reviews on Hostel World (Book direct).
Hotel Traveller's Inn is a small and clean cheapie that's great value for money and a favorite with travelers. It's located down a side street in the Fort district, close to Colaba Causeway. The staff is friendly and aim to please.
- Features: TV with satellite channels, instant hot water. There's free WIFI in the lobby.
- Address: 26, ADI Marzban Path, Behind Cafe Universal, Ballard Estate, Fort. Ph: (91-22) 2264-4685.
- Price: 1,500 rupees for a non air conditioned double room, and 2,200 rupees for a double with air conditioning. All rooms have attached bathrooms. Tax is additional.
2. Hotel Lawrence
This tiny hotel only has a handful of rooms but it's well run and very popular. The hotel is one of Mumbai's best kept secrets as it's hidden away on the third floor of a nondescript office building. Don't give up trying to find it or be put off by the decrepit exterior and long climb of stairs. It's cheery inside, centrally located, and with a street full of delicious restaurants to choose from just around the corner.
- Features: Fans, limited hot water, 3 shared bathrooms cleaned daily, lots of books to read.
- Address: Third floor, ITTS House, 33 Sai Baba Marg (down a side road behind the Prince of Wales Museum, off K Dubash Marg), Fort. Ph: (91-22) 2284-3618.
- Price: 700 rupees for a double room or 1,000 rupees for triple, breakfast included.
As far as budget hotels go in south Mumbai, P.A. Residency is one of the best. It has 20 rooms and a convenient location in Mumbai's Fort area, within walking distance to the city's tourist spots. Rooms are attractive, clean and comfortable. The only issue guests have is that the standard rooms and beds tend to be small. But, for the price, it's excellent.
- Features: Cable TV with international channels, attached bathrooms with hot and cold water, travel services, tea and coffee maker, room service, same day laundry service, free WIFI in lobby.
- Address: 263 Shahid Bhagat Singh Road, Near G.P.O. Fort. Ph: (91-22) 2270-1384/85.
- Price: 2,000 rupees for a single and 2,300 rupees for a standard double per night, including breakfast.
4. Sea Shore HotelTravelers rave about the well designed, newly renovated rooms at the Sea Shore Hotel. It's got a fabulous location on the waterfront in Colaba near the Gateway of India, in a building occupied by a other budget guest houses. There are six rooms to choose from and the pricier ones have sea views! The only drawback is that bathrooms are communal. However, they're cleaned numerous times a day. The hotel also doesn't have an elevator, so you'll need to walk up four flights of stairs.
- Features: Shared bathrooms, TVs with English channels in rooms.
- Address: Fourth floor, Kamal Mansion, Arthur Bunder Road, Colaba. Ph: (91-22) 2287-4237.
- Price: Rates start from 900 rupees per night for a double. The cheapest rooms don't have windows.
- Features: Satellite TVs, complimentary newspapers, safes in rooms, laundry service.
- Address: Krishna Mahal, 3rd floor, Marine Drive, Churchgate. Ph: (91-22) 2281-5244.
- Price: Expect to pay around 2,600 rupees per night for a double.
- Features: TVs in rooms with local channels, hot water, laundry service.
- Address: 17 Oliver Road, Colaba. Ph: (91-22) 2284-1474.
- Price: Small rooms start from 1,590 rupees per night. Other non airconditioned rooms start from 2,060 rupees per night. Basic breakfast and tax included.
The rooms at the YWCA guesthouse have recently received a makeover, and are clean and simply furnished. All rates include buffet breakfast and dinner. Although this guest house is run by a Christian women's organization, men are also welcome. It's a safe no frills place to stay, with smiling and helpful staff. You'll need to book at least a month or two in advance.
- Features: Hot water, cable TV, complementary morning tea/coffee and newspapers, wireless Internet, travel services.
- Address: 18 Madame Cama Road, Fort. Ph: (91-22) 2282-6814.
- Price: Rates start from 2,340 rupees for a single and 3,510 rupees for a double room with attached bathroom and air conditioning. Rates include tax, buffet breakfast and dinner.
The guest house is part of the sprawling ISKCON Hare Krishna temple complex. It offers very clean and comfortable rooms, decorated with antique furniture. As this is a religious place, you'll need to keep in mind that TV, meat, smoking, alcohol, and tea and coffee are not allowed. Guests can take part in the daily spiritual activities, although this isn't compulsory. The complex has a delicious vegetarian restaurant.
- Features: Air conditioning, room service, attached bathrooms, hot water from 4 a.m to 8 a.m.
- Address: 111 Hare Krishna Lane, Juhu. Ph: (91-22) 2620-6860.
- Price: Rates start from 3,095 rupees including tax for a single room without air conditioning.