Mumbai, with real estate prices that are on par with those of New York City, is a notoriously expensive city to stay. This can make finding good budget accommodation challenging. However, if you look carefully, there are some decent places offering reasonable service for a cost that’s fairly easy on the wallet.
Here are five of the best Mumbai budget hotels below $150 that won't blow your budget.
This recently renovated hotel is arguably the best budget hotel in Mumbai for its price. It's centrally located in the Colaba area, and the rooms are smart, modern, and clean. Guest's dining requirements are taken care of by the hotel's multi-cuisine restaurant and coffee shop, and excellent restaurants nearby. All in all, it's a refreshing place to stay with friendly and helpful staff. Book well in advance as it's often full with business travelers.
- Features: New furniture, complementary buffet breakfast, air conditioning, 24 hour room service, satellite TV, refrigerator, Internet, safes, conference room.
- Address: Near Gateway of India, Apollo Bunder, Mumbai. Ph: (91-22) 2202-0636.
- Price: 5,400 rupees ($105) plus tax for a double room.
2. Ascot Hotel
The Ascot Hotel is another gem, with a fantastic location right near Colaba Causeway but tucked away from the hustle and bustle. The inside of the hotel is contemporary and elegant, and the rooms are very clean and beautifully decorated. This attractive hotel provides a wonderful retreat in the heart of Mumbai.
- Features: Air conditioning, 24 hour room service, cable TV, DVD players, wireless Internet, business center, spacious work desks, complementary breakfast and newspaper.
- Address: 38 Garden Road (opposite Cusrow Baug), Colaba, Mumbai. Ph: (91-22) 6638-5500.
- Price: 6,350 rupees ($120) plus tax for a superior room. 6,500 rupees plus tax for a suite room.
3. Hotel Godwin
Hotel Godwin is another good choice in Colaba, if you stay in any of the renovated rooms from the fifth floor upwards. The rooms are large, and rooms 805 and 806 offer a stunning view over the Gateway of India and Colaba. The hotel has a wonderfully ambient roof top garden terrace where you can relax and take in the views, as well as a restaurant and bar. Its location on Garden Road near the Ascot Hotel is great too.
- Features: Air conditioning, 24 hour room service, cable TV, free wireless Internet, business center, travel desk.
- Address: Jasmine Building, 41 Garden Road, Colaba, Mumbai. Ph: (91-22) 2287-2050.
- Price: 6,166 rupees ($120) plus tax for a double room up to 7,496 rupees plus tax for a suite.
This character filled, historic hotel occupies what was once Mumbai's first fire station. The hotel prides itself on its loyal staff and personal service. Its location in the Fort area is away from hectic Colaba but still within walking distance. The renovated rooms are attractively and brightly decorated in traditional style, although some are on the smaller side. For the price, this hotel is real a bargain.
- Features: Air conditioning, 24 hour room service, cable TV, Internet, safes, some rooms with mini fridge, travel services.
- Address: 26, Corner of D.N. Road and Rustom Sidhwa Marg, Fort, Mumbai. Ph: (91-22) 2262-5525.
- Price: 3,200 rupees ($60) plus tax for a single deluxe room and 4,300 rupees ($80) plus tax for a deluxe double room.
This hotel is located close to Marine Drive and the ocean. It's got an old, manually operated, cage lift but don't let that put you off staying here. The hotel's newly renovated rooms have been designed to American and European standards, with imported bedding. Make sure you ask for one of these rooms. The hotel doesn't have a restaurant but guests can cook their own vegetarian meals in its kitchen.
- Features: Roof top terrace, 24 hour room service, tea and coffee, cable TV, wireless Internet, safes, travel services.
- Address: 86, Veer Nariman Road, Churchgate, Mumbai. Ph: (91-22) 2204-4455.
- Price: 4,750 rupees ($90) plus tax for a superior double up to 5,250 rupees ($105) plus tax for a deluxe renovated double room.