Delhi's nightlife is varied, but you'll find the most popular and classiest bars in luxury hotels. These bars attract an immaculately dressed rich crowd and a cover charge to match. You won't find many bars staying open all night, as there's a 1 a.m. curfew for most places. As a alternative, those who want to party late head to nearby Noida and Gurgaon. This guide covers five of the most hip and happening Delhi bars, ranging from chilled out to cool.
This Irish themed pub, which could very well be the most expensive pub in Delhi, doubles as a disco called Ghungroo. The 106 foot long bar runs through each of the pub's five different corners. You'll find the largest selection of single malts in Delhi there, if whiskey is your thing. And a bar counter exclusively devoted to fine wines. Guinness is also available along with a range of Irish beer, of course!
- Address: ITC Maurya Sheraton, Diplomat Enclave, Chanakyapuri, Delhi. Ph: (11) 2611 2233, 9811220010.
- Opening Hours: 6 p.m. until 1 a.m.
- Cover Charge: 1,000 rupees, going up to 2,000 rupees for a couple on the weekend.
F Bar, a franchise of Fashion TV and short for Fashion Bar, is an opulent bar where glamor and style rule. Set over a number of levels, it caters to an elite crowd with the members only Fashion Lounge and the exclusive Diamond Lounge for the cream of the crop. Service and atmosphere are outstanding. It's open for lunch and dinner too. Needless to say, dress to impress!
- Address: The Ashok hotel, 50-B Diplomatic Enclave, Chanakayapuri, Delhi. Ph: (11) 2611 0101.
- Opening Hours: 24 hours.
- Cover Charge: 2,000 rupees, going up to 3,000 rupees for a couple on the weekend after 11 p.m.
Q'BA has a string of establishments across Delhi. The two most centrally located ones are the original Q'BA and @Live, both in Connaught Place. Upmarket Q'BA, with two levels and two open air terraces, has a focus on dining during the day but its bar tops those in the area. @Live is more casual, and wears a more grungy look with exposed brick work. Live music is the feature there. Kick back, relax, and enjoy happy hours from 3 p.m. until 7.30 p.m. at both places.
- Address: Q'BA E-42/43 Inner Circle, Connaught Place, Delhi. Ph: (11) 5151 2888. @Live K-12 Outer Circle, Connaught Place, Delhi. Ph: (11)4356 0008.
- Opening Hours: Noon until 1 a.m.
An ongoing favorite of Delhi's party people, Agni has a definite element of bling. It also has a string of awards to its name including "Bar with the Best Dancing" by The Times Nightlife Guide. The dance floor, located at the end of a 35 foot long bar, isn't a large one though so it does get crowded on weekends. Agni doubles as a restaurant earlier in the night.
- Address: The Park Hotel, 15 Parliament Street, Connaught Place, Delhi. Ph: (11) 2374 3000.
- Opening Hours: Until late (up to 4 a.m on busy nights).
- Cover Charge: 2,000 rupees on Friday nights and 3,000 rupees on Saturday nights after midnight, for couples. Single guys not allowed.
5. The Zoo
The Zoo goes under the radar. You won't find on many lists of popular bars in Delhi but it's very deserving of a mention for its uniqueness and what it offers. Located in one of Delhi's top attractions, the Garden of Five Senses, it has leafy green surroundings and sparkly dimly lit rooms. The Zoo is strictly an after dinner bar (and there's a cluster of eateries around it), with electronic music and a focus on fun. Live DJ sets every weekend. Don't miss the sunset parties on Sundays!
- Address: Gate 3, Garden of Five Senses, Said-ul-ajab village, Delhi. (Nearest Metro: Saket). Ph: 9871150587.
- Opening Hours: Monday to Saturday from 8 p.m. until 1 a.m. Sundays from 5 p.m.