What to See and Do in India
By Sharell Cook
Month by Month Events
There's always something happening in India! Find out what's on each month here.
- What's On in January
- What's On in February
- What's On in March
- What's On in April
- What's On in May
- What's On in June
- What's On in July
- What's On in August
- What's On in September
- What's On in October
- What's On in November
- What's On in December
Indian festivals are like nothing you've ever experienced. Full of color, music and dancing, they're sure to leave an unforgettable impression.
- Diwali: Festival of Lights
- Ganesh Chaturthi
- Govinda: Lord Krishna's Birthday
- Holi: Festival of Colors
- Kerala Temple Festivals
- Kerala Snake Boat Races
- Kumbh Mela: World's Largest Religious Gathering
- Navaratri, Dussehra, and Durga Puja
- Pushkar Camel Festival
India's long and rich history offers captivating architecture combined with fascinating tales of the past.
Nature & Wildlife
India is famous for its tigers, elephants, and other wildlife. You can see them in their natural environment in India's many national parks.
- Kanha National Park Travel Guide
- Ranthambore National Park Travel Guide
- Sunderbans National Park Travel Guide
- Review of Sanjay Gandhi National Park Mumbai
- Go Boating at Periyar National Park
- See Elephants at Nagarhole National Park
- Spot a Tiger in Bandhavgarh National Park
Adrenaline junkies and those who love the outdoors will find much to do in India. Everything from trekking to hot air ballooning is possible.
- Adventure Activities in Goa
- Drive an Auto Rickshaw Across India
- Take a Hot Air Balloon Ride
- Enjoy the Mountains in Manali
- Visit Far Off Leh and Ladakh
- Explore High Altitude Spiti
- Hike & Climb Rocks in Nainital
- Trek to the Valley of Flowers
- Go on a Camel Safari
- Rides Horses & See Stunning Views at Matheran
- Explore the Remote North East Region
With a population of over 1 billion people, India can be a hectic and tiring country. Therefore it's a good idea to schedule some relaxation time to unwind and recharge. There are lots of appealing options.
- Chill Out on a Goa Beach
- Get an Ayurvedic Treatment
- Go on a Picnic Near Mumbai
- Indulge Yourself at a Luxury Spa
- Take a Kerala Backwaters Houseboat Trip
- Stay at a Wellness Center
- Enjoy India's Best Wineries
- Drink Tea at India's Tea Plantations
Many people come to India to expand their knowledge and awareness, and be of service to others. India's ancient holy cities, many yoga and meditation centers, and opportunities for volunteer work with the underprivileged all give perspective changing experiences.
- Do Community Service Work
- See a Ganga Aarti
- Take a Walk Along the Varanai Ghats
- Experience South India's Temples
Make sure you leave some room in your suitcase because the shopping is fabulous in India! Handicrafts, art, and clothes are all popular purchases and the price is so much cheaper than at home. Shopping at India's markets can be great fun, but be sure to haggle.
One of the best things about India is the cuisine! There are so many wonderful places to eat out and you'll find that the food is nothing like the standard fare offered by Indian restaurants at home. There's so much variety all over the country, your taste buds will never get bored.
Bars, Clubs & Cafes
Finding a good place to drink or party is not always easy in India, but they definitely do exist. Cheap beer, enticing cocktails, live music, DJs -- take your pick!