Mall mania has hit Mumbai in recent years, with new malls popping up all over the city. Most malls are more than just shopping destinations. They've got huge food, gaming, and entertainment zones as well, offering fun for the whole family.
Unfortunately, many of the big malls are located in Mumbai's outer suburbs. This makes them quite inaccessible to the average visitor. However, there are still some excellent centrally located malls where you can shop til you drop! Here are five of the biggest and best Mumbai malls, which are easiest to reach, to choose from.
www.flickr.com user Swami Stream
The tall chimneys at the conveniently located High Street Phoenix mall give away the fact that this area used to be full of textile mills before it was redeveloped. The highlight of the mall is its swanky Skyzone shopping space, full of premium national and international stores. These are located along side cheaper retail outlets to suit all budgets. You'll also find a courtyard containing food shops, bowling alley, gaming arcade, and sports bar. After shopping in the evening, head to nearby Blue Frog
to hear some excellent live music.
- Address: 462 Senapati Bapat Marg, Lower Parel, Mumbai.
- Opening Hours: 9.30 a.m. until 9.30 p.m. daily.
- Stores: Provogue, Big Bazaar, Pantaloons, Lifestyle, Lacoste, Mogra, Tommy Hilfiger, Next, Planet M.
Looking for luxury products and international designer brands? You'll find them at this mall. The five level Atria mall had a star-studded opening in mid 2006, and has remained popular as it's one of the few malls that are centrally located in Mumbai. The Eco Corner store is worth checking out for its unique range of environmentally friendly home and bath accessories, made by villagers. In addition to shops and a food court, this mall also has a 4-D cinema and large entertainment zone.
- Address: Dr. Annie Beasant Road, Worli, (next to the Planetarium, near Haji Ali).
- Opening Hours: 11 a.m. until 10 p.m. daily.
- Stores: Mango, Nine West, La Senza, Aldo, Pepe Jeans, Benetton, Anita Dongre, Peter England, Sony, and a Rolls Royce showroom.
3. InOrbit Mall
www.flickr.com user zadeus
Inorbit, with its 1.2 million square feet of space, is one of the largest malls in South East Asia. The ground floor is mostly occupied by major British department stores. There are also a number of Indian designer fashion outlets, and an Australian cookie bakery. The first floor is full of national and international clothing brands, a music store, and bookstore. The top floor has been exclusively devoted to food and entertainment, and includes a kids play area. The drawback? The mall is in the outer suburbs.
- Address: Link Road, Malad (outer western Mumbai).
- Opening Hours: 11 a.m. until 9.30 p.m. daily.
- Stores: Shoppers Stop, Lifestyle, Spencers, Crosswords Bookstore, Provogue, Adidas, Marks & Spencer, Body Shop, Fame Multiplex Cinema.
4. Oberoi Mall
The classy Oberoi Mall opened in mid 2008, and offers 500,000 square feet of shopping, dining and entertainment. It features a large central atrium with an uninterrupted view of every shop front within the mall. The attractions of this mall are the Lifestyle Home Center outlet, and the Central department store. Find cosmetics, perfumes, and accessories on the ground floor, and clothing and sportswear on the second floor. The mall's third level has a large food court and gaming area.
- Address: Oberoi Garden City, Off Western Express Highway, Goregoan East, Mumbai.
- Opening Hours: 10 a.m. until 10 p.m.
- Stores: Lifestyle, Central, PVR Cinemas, Debenhams, Tommy Hilfiger, Adidas, Adams Kids, Gloria Jeans Coffee, Giordano, Pepe, Spykar, and Gas.
5. Infiniti Mall
This three level mall isn't as big as some, but it still has plenty of clothing, jewelry, electronics, and music stores. Anyone who loves books will appreciate the fantastic Landmark bookstore that can be found there. The mall also has a food court and children's entertainment area.
- Address: New Link Road, Andheri West, Mumbai.
- Opening Hours: 10 a.m. until 10 p.m.
- Stores: Westside, Provogue, Food Bazaar, Reebok, Planet M, Adidas, Archies, Raymonds, Lee, Nike, Benetton, Esprit, Landmark Bookstore, CineMax Multiplex Cinema.