Shopping in Kolkata can be great fun as the city is filled with markets and malls bursting with interesting goods. Popular purchases include saris, handicrafts, and terracotta items. If you bargain well, you'll get some great deals. Check out these must-visit places.
Wondering what else to see and do in Kolkata? Don't miss these 12 Top Kolkata Attractions.
1. New Market
New Market, also known as Hogg's Market, is Kolkata's oldest and most well known market. It's got over 2,000 stalls and is a bargain hunter's delight. Head to the reconstructed section of the market, which got rebuilt after a fire in 1985, if you want to buy saris. You'll find plenty to choose from there. In the evenings, street vendors come to sell cheap jewelry and eye catching bags out the front of the market. Just be prepared for the crowds!
- Location: Lindsay Street, just off Chowringhee Road.
- Opening Hours: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Friday, and until 2.30pm on Saturday. Closed on Sunday.
2. Dakshinapan Shopping Center
This open air shopping center is a little out of the way, but it's an excellent place to buy Indian handicrafts and artifacts. You'll find many Indian state government emporiums there, stocked with fixed price goods from all over the country. It's also the place to buy cheap Indian clothing. Tea enthusiasts must stop by the renowned Dolly's Tea Shop. This small but enticingly decorated boutique tea shop has 20 different fruit flavors of tea to choose from, as well as refreshing fruit infused iced teas. You can even buy attractively packaged gifts.
- Location: Ghariahat Road in Dhakuria, near the flyover (overpass).
- Opening Hours: Tuesday to Saturday 11 a.m. to 7.30 p.m., and Mondays after 2 p.m. Closed on Sunday.
3. Oxford Bookstore
- Location: Park Street, next to the entrance to the Park Hotel.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
4. Chowringhee Road
- Location: Chowringhee Road, near the Oberoi Grand Hotel.
- Opening Hours: Street vendors set up mostly towards the evening but other shops are open during the day. Many are closed on Sunday.
5. Quest Mall
- Location: Syed Amir Ali Ave, Park Circus, Ballygunge.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.