The Bottom Line
- Central location in the heart of Kolkata.
- Adjoining store devoted completely to children.
- Great range of books and gifts.
- Has a tea bar and reading room to relax in.
- Friendly staff.
- Some books are in plastic wrappers which makes it difficult to browse them.
- It's easy to come away having spent more money than planned.
- 17 Park Street, Kolkata (Calcutta).
- Phone: (33)2229 7662.
- Open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Over 6,000 square feet of floor space.
- Chai (tea) bar, gift shop, reading room, exhibition space, and specialist book sections.
- Accepts credit cards.
- Branches in other Indian major cities.
Guide Review - Oxford Bookstore Review: A Treasure Trove of Tea and Reading in Kolkata
The Oxford Bookstore has been enjoyed by the people of Kolkata since it opened in 1920. However, it's no longer just a bookstore. It was recently renovated and expanded to provide customers with a modern, multi-dimensional shopping experience. This book store is now setting the standard for other book stores around India.
It's very tempting to settle into the Oxford Bookstore and spend a day there. The book store's Cha Bar, which serves delicious exotic teas, only encourages this. Customers can sip their tea or coffee while leisurely reading.
Visitors to India will find the wide range of books on Indian culture and other topics to do with India very fascinating. Many of these books aren't available for sale outside the Indian subcontinent. They're also relatively inexpensively priced. Of particular interest is the section devoted to Kolkata and Bengali culture. There's also a large fiction section containing books by Indian authors, and a yummy Indian cook book section.
Next door to the main store is an innovative part of the shop dedicated completely to children, which they'll love. The book store's gift section also makes buying presents for friends and family back home easy.
Just plan on spending more time and more money there than expected!