A convenient and inexpensive way of getting from Mumbai to Goa is by train. It's much more comfortable than the bus. If you take an overnight train, you'll be there the next morning. Most trains take around 12 hours. Here's what you need to know about trains from Mumbai to Goa.
- The main railway station in Mumbai is the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus) near the Fort area of south Mumbai. Its code is CST.
- Trains to Goa also depart Mumbai from Lokmanyatilak Terminus, which is in Kurla, in the north eastern suburbs of Mumbai.
- The main railway station in Goa is Madgaon, also known as Margao (MAO). It's located in south Goa. If you're traveling to the north Goa beaches, try to get a train that stops at Thivim (THVM).
Mumbai Goa Trains
- The most popular train from Mumbai to Goa is the 0111 Konkankanya Express. It departs Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus at 11.05 p.m. and arrives at Madgaon at 10.45 a.m. It also stops at Pernem and Thivim in north Goa. The fare in 1AC (first class, air conditioned, sleeper) is 1,799 rupees. 2A (two tier, air conditioned, sleeper) is 1,073 rupees. 3A (three tier, air conditioned, sleeper) is 783 rupees. SL (three tier, non air conditioned, sleeper) is 288 rupees. The train runs every day.
- If you don't mind an early start, the 2051 Jan Shatabdi Express from Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus to Madgaon is another decent choice. It's a "people's" Shatabdi train though, so don't expect the normal Shatabdi train perks. It departs at 5.10 a.m. and arrives in Madgaon at 2.10 p.m. The train also stops at Thivim in north Goa. The fare in CC (chair car, seated, air conditioned) is 680 rupees. 2S (second class, seated, non air conditioned) is 197 rupees. The train runs every day. You'll find that there are usually seats available in second class long after first class and all other trains to Goa are waitlisted. However, comfort is an issue. Discover what it's like to travel on the Jan Shatabdi train.
- Another more time consuming option, which requires a day of travel, is the 0103 Mandovi Express. It departs Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus at 6.55 a.m. and arrives at Madgaon at 6.45 p.m. It also stops at Pernem and Thivim in north Goa. The fares are the same as for the Konkankanya Express, and this train also runs every day.
Note About Travel During the Monsoon SeasonA monsoon timetable operates from mid June until the end of October each year. Many trains depart an hour or two earlier than usual to account for delays as a result of reduced travel speed for safety reasons.
Other Mumbai to Goa Trains
There are a few other sleeper trains that run from Mumbai to Goa, but their timetable isn't the most convenient. For more information, see the Indiarailinfo.com website.