A convenient and inexpensive way of getting from Goa to Mumbai is by train. It's much more comfortable than the bus. If you take an overnight train, you'll be there the next morning. Most trains take around 12 hours. Here's what you need to know about trains from Goa to Mumbai.
- The main railway station in Mumbai is the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus) near the Fort area of south Mumbai. Its code is CST. If you wish to go to Mumbai Airport, get off at Dadar, an earlier and closer stop.
- Trains from Goa also arrive in Mumbai at Lokmanyatilak Terminus, which is in Kurla, in the north eastern suburbs of Mumbai. This location is quite convenient for getting to Mumbai Airport.
- A number of trains from Goa also pass through Vasai Road (in outer northern Mumbai) and Kalyan Junction (in outer north eastern Mumbai). If you travel on one of these trains, it may be better to get off at Panvel, an earlier stop in outer eastern Mumbai. This is especially the case if you wish to go to Mumbai Airport, because it's closer. Check out this handy map of Mumbai railways. Local trains start from Panvel, so it's easy to catch a train into the city as well.
- The main railway station in Goa is Madgaon, also known as Margao (MAO). It's located in south Goa. If you're traveling from the north Goa beaches, get on the train at Thivim (THVM).
Goa Mumbai Trains
- The most popular train from Goa to Mumbai is the 0112 Konkankanya Express. It departs Madgaon at 6 p.m. and arrives at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus at 5.55 a.m. It also stops at Pernem and Thivim in north Goa. The fare in 1AC (first class, air conditioned, sleeper) is 1,799 rupees. 2A (two tier, air conditioned, sleeper) is 1,073 rupees. 3A (three tier, air conditioned, sleeper) is 783 rupees. SL (three tier, non air conditioned, sleeper) is 288 rupees. The train runs every day.
- Two other trains also run daily overnight from Goa to Mumbai, but only reach as far as the Mumbai suburbs. In addition, neither stop in north Goa. The 2620 Matsyaganda Exp departs Madgaon at 7.15 p.m. and arrives at Lokmanyatilak Terminus at 6.35 a.m. The 2741 VSG Patna Exp departs Madgaon at 7.00 p.m. and stops at Kalyan Junction at 7.35 a.m.
- During the day, the 2052 Jan Shatabdi Express departs Madgaon at 2.30 p.m. and at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus at 11.30 p.m. The train also stops at Thivim in north Goa. It's a "people's" Shatabdi train though, so don't expect the normal Shatabdi train perks. The fare in CC (chair car, seated, air conditioned) is 680 rupees. 2S (second class, seated, non air conditioned) is 197 rupees. The train runs every day. Discover what it's like to travel on the Jan Shatabdi train.
- Another more time consuming option, which requires a day of travel, is the 0104 Mandovi Express. It departs Madgaon at 9.40 a.m. and arrives at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus at 9.45 p.m. It also stops at Pernem and Thivim in north Goa. The fares are the same as for the Konkankanya Express, and this train also runs every day.
Note About Travel During the Monsoon SeasonA monsoon timetable operates from mid June until the end of October each year. Many trains depart earlier than usual to account for delays as a result of reduced travel speed for safety reasons.
Other Goa to Mumbai Trains
There are a few other sleeper trains that stop in Mumbai, but their timetable isn't the most convenient. For more information, see the Indiarailinfo.com website.