Plan Your Trip to India
By Sharell Cook, About.com Guide
Information you should know about India before you set off on your adventure.
- 10 Reasons to Visit India
- What Types of Indian Visas are Available?
- How to Apply for an Indian Visa
- How to Get a Tourist Visa on Arrival
- Timezone in India
Health issues are often a major concern of visitors to India. However, there's plenty you can do to avoid getting sick.
- Common Health Concerns
- Monsoon Season Health Tips
- Top 5 Post-Monsoon Health Issues
- Sanitation, Hygiene, and Staying Healthy
When to Go to India
India's climate varies enormously from one side of the country to the other. When it's snowing in the far north, it's warm and sunny down south. Find out the most suitable time to visit India.
What to Pack
Wondering what to pack on your trip to India and what to leave behind? Here are some ideas.
- Packing List for India
- Monsoon Season Packing List
- 7 Items to Include on you India Packing List
- Reader's India Packing List Tips
What to Expect in India
It's a good idea to know what to expect when you arrive in India, not only to help avoid culture shock but also to avoid being ripped off.
- Arriving in India and Culture Shock
- 5 Things Not to Do in India
- The Indian Head Wobble Explained
- How to Eat With Your Fingers
- Tips for Bargaining in India
- Common Annoyances and Inconveniences
- Top 5 Common Scams
- Top 10 Indian Stereotypes
Where to Visit
India is full of fascinating destinations and they're all so different from each other. Check out some of what's on offer.
- India Vacation Planner
- Monsoon Season Travel Destinations
- Goa Beach Guide
- Delhi Profile and City Guide
- Mumbai Profile and City Guide
- Kolkata Profile and City Guide
- Jaipur Profile and City Guide
- Chennai Profile and City Guide
- Bangalore Profile and City Guide
- 10 Must See India Destinations
- India Tourist Places by Region
Where to Stay
Booking ahead can often be a good idea, especially in major cities and during peak travel times. It takes the stress out of finding somewhere to stay in a strange place, so you can relax when you get there.
- Luxury Hotels in Delhi
- Luxury Hotels in Mumbai
- Budget Hotels Below $150 in Mumbai
- Cheap Hotels and Guest Houses in Mumbai
- Affordable Bed & Breakfasts in Delhi
- Budget Hotels in Paharganj Delhi
- Boutique Hotels in Goa
- Palace Hotels in India
- Romantic India Getaways
- 5 Appealing Agra Hotels
- 5 Best Kolkata Hotels for All Budgets
- Guide to Budget Hotels in India
Traveling Around India
India is a large country so it's important to give some consideration as to how you'll travel around. There are many options available from budget to luxury.
- Options for Domestic Travel
- Domestic Airlines in India
- Overview of Major Airports
- Transport in Delhi
- Trains on Popular Indian Railways Routes
- Luxury Train Travel in India
- How to Make an Indian Railways Reservation
- Classes of Accommodations on Indian Railways Trains
- Tips for Long Distance Train Travel in India
Learn the Language
Many people like to learn a bit of Hindi, the national language, when visiting India.
- Top 5 Hindi Language Books
- Common but Often Confusing Hindi Words
- Different Meanings of the Hindi Word "Accha"