The monsoon season can make traveling more difficult in India, however there's much you can do to stay comfortable, and enjoy yourself during the rain. Here's a suggested monsoon packing list for India.
Items to Pack for the Monsoon in India
- A heavy duty umbrella.
- A raincoat. Long trench style coats work best.
- Knee length pants and pants in dark colors. This will help you avoid getting the bottoms of your pants wet, and will also hide splashed mud.
- Suitable wet weather shoes, such as rubber sandals and flip-flops. Wellington boots/gumboots are very useful, although they can be cumbersome to carry in your luggage.
- First aid supplies, particularly disinfectant scrubs and adhesive bandages/plaster.
- A small, absorbent hand towel.
- A small, waterproof backpack to carry a change of clothes in (just in case you get caught in the rain!) and other emergency items.
- A hairdryer, not just to help you avoid catching a cold from wet hair but also to quickly dry underwear.
- Mosquito repellent.
- A mosquito net, if you plan on staying in budget places where mosquitoes are unavoidable.
- For ladies, water proof makeup!