This statue of the national emblem of India sits on top of the pillars on either side of the Wagah Border gate.
The emblem was adopted by the Indian Government on January 26, 1950. It has four lions, with the Dharma Chakra (wheel of law) in the center of the base, and a bull and horse on either side. The lions are replicas of the Lion of Sarnath, near Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh. It was erected in the third century BC by Emperor Ashoka to mark the spot where the Buddha first taught. The lion symbolizes India's commitment to world peace and goodwill.