The Maharashtra Police Headquarters moved into what was known as the Royal Alfred Sailors' Home, in 1982. Construction began on the building in early 1872 and was finished four years later, in 1876. As its name suggests, it was made to accommodate 20 officers and 100 seamen. However, the building was actually conceived to commemorate the visit of the Duke of Edinburgh in 1870. The Duke laid the Foundation stone during his visit.
The Maharastra government acquired the building in 1928 to house the Bombay Legislative Council. The Police department subsequently moved in after it was vacated.
Where: Opposite Regal Circle at the end of Colaba Causeway, south Mumbai.
More Information: Maharastra Police website.