India comes alive in December with an eclectic mix of traditional and modern festivals and events. From classical to electronic dance music, and local performers to international DJs, it's all on offer. Not to forget Christmas celebrations as well!
Here's the best of what's on in December in India (listed by date). This article has two pages, so don't overlook clicking on "Next" at the bottom of this page, to go to page two.
The official Konark Festival, organized by Orissa Tourism, features a range of classical Odissi, Bharathnatyam, Manipuri, Kathak and Chau dance performances. Added attractions are an exhibition of Orissan temple sculptures, sand art exhibition, and crafts fair. The festival has been taking place since 1989.
- When: December 1-5 each year.
- Where: Open air auditorium, Natamandir, near the Konark Temple.
International Sand Art Festival
Held to coincide with the five day Konark Festival in the same area, the International Sand Art Festival sees renowned international and local artists competing to create the best sand sculptures.
- When: December 1-5, 2013.
- Where: Chandrabhaga Beach, Konark, Orissa.
The unique Hornbill Festival, named after the bird, shows just how diverse a country India really is. Held in a tiny and remote north eastern state of India, the festival is one of the largest celebrations of the indigenous warrior tribes of the region. It features traditional arts, dances, folk songs, games, and music concerts in the evenings. Local handicrafts are also on sale during the festival.
- When: December 1-10, 2013. (It's been extended by three days this year).
- Where: Kisama Heritage Village (near Kohima town), Nagaland.
Feast of Francis Xavier
- When: December 3 each year.
- Where: Bom Jesus Basilica, near Panaji, Goa.
- When: December 6-8, 2013.
- Where: Festival Arena, Aamby Valley City, Maharashtra. (2 hours drive from Mumbai).
- Tickets: Tickets are available from the Book My Show website.
- When: December 12-14, 2013.
- Where: Hotel Clarks Shiraz, Agra, Uttar Pradesh.
India's newest music festival is an intimate affair, limited to 500 people, which will be held on two stages at a restored 17th century palace hotel in Rajasthan. On offer will be cutting-edge music from both bands and DJs, fashion, art, and food. Attendees can either camp in luxury tents or stay in rooms at the hotel. Its premises are extensive and include courtyards, swimming pool, and ballrooms. Decorations are expected to create the vibe of a magical, fantasy carnival.
- When: December 13-15, 2013.
- Where: Alsisar Mahal, Shekhawati region of Rajashtan. (5 hours from Delhi/4 hours from Jaipur).
- When: December 15-27, 2013.
- Where: Janata Maidan, Bhubaneshwar, Orissa.
- When:December 15, 2013-February 15, 2014. It's best on full moon nights (December 17), to see the moon shining on the salt.
- Where: Begins in Bhuj and goes around to various locations in the Kutch district of Gujarat.
- When: Mid December to mid January each year.
- Where: Music halls all over Chennai, Tamil Nadu.