Karnataka's Coorg region is a fabulous place to escape from city life and enjoy nature. There are plenty of resorts in Coog to pamper and entertain you. However, when deciding on the right one to stay at, it's important to consider what kind of experience you want to have. Some resorts are better suited to couples, while others are focused on families. Some are also closer to Coorg's attractions
than others. Here are six of the best ones to choose from.
Orange County, is a place where you can completely remove yourself from the rest of the world and indulge yourself in the culture of the region, as well as pamper yourself with Ayurvedic treatments. It's perfect for a honeymoon or romantic getaway
. The resort is set up with 42 thatched cottages facing the paddy fields, to give it a village feeling. It's surrounded by 200 acres of coffee and spice plantations, with the River Cauvery on one side and Dubare Reserve forest on the other, ensuring seclusion and tranquility. Plenty of activities are offered to enable guests to explore and enjoy the environment, including plantation and nature walks, bird watching, coracle rides, and village visits. For a real treat, stay in a villa with its own private swimming pool and courtyard.
- Location: Siddapur, around 30 kilometers southeast of Madikeri.
- Cost: Around 17,000 rupees per night for a double cottage, going up to 27,000 rupees for a private pool villa.
The beautiful and well maintained Club Mahindra resort has a convenient location near town and is a popular choice for families with kids rather than solitude seekers. It's large, with 200 luxurious apartments, gym, two swimming pools, three restaurants, lobby lounge and bar, plus a children's activity center all set over 20 acres. Outdoor activities are available for adventure lovers, including quad bike riding, air rifle shooting, rock climbing, and trekking. There's even a creative corner offering a huge range of arts and crafts activities. It's impossible to be bored!
- Location: 6 kilometers from Madikeri town.
- Cost: From around 5,500 rupees per night for a double, including breakfast.
Vivanta by Taj
From the moment it officially opened in November 2012, this new resort has been impressing its guests, particularly with the stunning panoramic views of rainforest and paddy fields from every room. The resort is situated on an idyllic hillside, 4000 feet above sea level, near Madikeri town. The approach to it is guaranteed to take your breath away! There are 62 villas and rooms to choose from, with the pick being the Bliss Villas with private indoor pools and retractable sunroofs. Rejuvenate at the Jiva Spa and meditate in the Buddha Garden.
- Location: 7 kilometers from Madikeri town.
- Cost: From around 11,000 rupees ($200) per night for a double, not including breakfast or tax.
The Tamara is another stunning new resort in Coorg that opened in 2012. This boutique resort is a remote, scenic hideaway with 30 luxury cottages made almost entirely out of wood and sitting on stilts. They're all elevated and offer expansive views of the plantation and waterfalls. The fine dining restaurant, built on a stream, will tantalize your taste buds. Trekking and coffee plantation tours are offered, and include picking and processing the berries. You can also meditate under one the numerous holy Rudraksh trees on the property. The resort is best suited to couples wanting a quiet vacation together amongst nature. It's not child-friendly.
- Location: Kakkabe, around 35 kilometers southwest of Madikeri.
- Cost: From 18,000 rupees per night for a double standard villa, including taxes and meals.
The highlight at the Amanvana Resort is the Cauvery River, which flows right next to it. The resort's bungalow accommodations are also delightful -- each has its own private plant filled courtyard, lotus pond, and reading nook. Both children and adults are catered for. Children will love the sandpit and camping outdoors under the stars. For adults, there's a spa, yoga, golf putting ground, library, herb garden, and fine wines. In the evenings, barbeques are held by the river. The resort also offers complimentary picnic hampers which can be enjoyed on the resort's island, amidst a multitude of flora and fauna.
- Location: On the Mysore-Madikeri Road, around 30 kilometers east of Madikeri, near Kushalnagar. It's handy for visiting both Dubare Elephant Camp and the golden temple at Namdroling Nyingmapa Tibetan Monastery.
- Cost: From around 10,000 rupees ($170) per night for a double, including breakfast.
Windflower Resort and Spa
The Windflower is a peaceful yet family friendly resort, with 44 rooms spread over 25 acres of lush coffee estate. The rooms are divided into studios, villas, and suites. The villas are particularly appealing, each with its own private courtyard and outdoor jacuzzi. The resort also as a remarkable infinity pool entwined around towering teak and rosewood trees. Activities on offer include yoga, plantation tours, Zorbing, horse riding, quad biking, rough road jeep rides, and gravity cycling. Or simply indulge in a spa treatment.
- Location: Just off the Mysore-Madikeri Road, around 10 kilometers east of Madikeri.
- Cost: From around 12,500 rupees ($190) per night for a double, including all meals and tax. A Jacuzzi villa is around 21,000 rupees per night for a double.