Wanting to take the train in Delhi? Here's a quick overview of Delhi train travel on the new Metro train network.
- Delhi has an excellent train network called the Metro.
- Trains run from 6 a.m. until 11 p.m.
- Tickets cost from 8 rupees to 30 rupees.
- The trains operate both underground and above ground. Trains in the underground section run every 8 minutes during peak hours, and 12 minutes during non peak hours. The frequency of other trains is from 3 minutes during peak hours, and 12 minutes during non-peak hours.
- The Metro operates on an automated ticketing system. Tickets (which are cards or tokens) are purchased from ticket counters at stations.
- Special Tourist Cards are available for unlimited travel over short periods. The cost is 100 rupees for one day, and 250 rupees for three days. A 50 rupee deposit is payable as cards are required to be returned at the end of travel.
If you're wanting to travel to Delhi Airport, there's a special Airport Metro Express line that covers the distance from New Delhi to the airport in just 18 minutes (as opposed to the usual hour or more travel time). It's also possible to check your baggage in before you board the train, if you're flying domestically with one of the full service airlines (Jet Airways, Kingfisher Airlines, and Air India). Find out more about the Delhi Airport Metro Express line.Delhi Metro Map
Downloadable and printable Delhi Metro map.