1. Travel
Sharell Cook

How Long is an Indian Transit Visa Valid For?

By April 27, 2012

A reader recently raised a good point in relation to this article, which states that "Visitors staying in India for less than 72 hours can obtain a Transit Visa, otherwise an Indian Tourist Visa is necessary".

She said that an Indian transit visa is valid for 15 days, not 72 hours.

Actually, this is true! Transit visas are valid for a period of 15 days from the date of issue. However, the maximum permitted stay in India at one time on a transit visa is 72 hours. This is confirmed by this document on the Travisa website in the US (the company that processes Indian visas).

However, as with many things in India, the reality is often different.  On this thread on the Lonely Planet forum, one person reported using their transit visa to travel overland through India for 10 days from Nepal, before catching an onwards flight from Delhi.  They didn't face any problems.  This is for overland transit through, with a transit visa obtained from Kathmandu. It's doubtful as to whether it would be allowed for those flying in and out of India, who have much shorter transit time frames.

Does anyone else have any experiences to report?

More About Indian Visas:

Comments
December 26, 2012 at 4:35 am
(1) e.cavis says:

travelling on a crruise stoping at kuala lumpur sir lanka.mumbai musctat
staying dubai 2 days singapore 2 days round trip 17 days

english passport do ineed indian visa for i day mumbai or any other documentation. i have yet to book till about feb for march holiday

yours eric cavis simrus2002 @yahoo .co. uk

December 27, 2012 at 3:45 am
(2) goindia says:

Hi Eric, yes you do need an Indian visa for one day in Mumbai. You should apply for a Transit visa, valid for 72 hours, before you leave the UK. Here’s the website: http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/

March 14, 2013 at 8:04 am
(3) sam says:

Hi,

I live in a remote village in the Philippines. The Indian Embassy is in Manila and it is too expensive for me to go to Manila and stay there in the hotel and apply for a visa.

Can I apply through Mail?

March 14, 2013 at 9:57 am
(4) goindia says:

Sam, probably. Do check their website and find out the details there.

April 13, 2013 at 1:02 pm
(5) Jacqui says:

Hi going on a
Cruise which visits 2 ports in India within 3day of each other but extends 72 hours do I have get a tourist visa ? Or will I be ok with a transit?

April 13, 2013 at 10:28 pm
(6) goindia says:

Hi Jacqui, you will need a multiple entry tourist visa. A transit visa is only valid for one entry of up to 72 hours.

May 2, 2013 at 7:40 pm
(7) threea says:

hi there,,,i really want to come india and i im from indonesia,,i just want stay a week and i dont know how to get the visa ,,,may i apply by mail,,thank you

June 21, 2013 at 2:21 am
(8) jessica says:

hi I live in California n I would like to visit india for 1week to visit a friend can u please tell me what I can do in order for me to visit india? I never been to india… just wanna inform myself good !!!!! like if I need the transit visa? or do I need to get the tourist visa? how can I apply for a visa? n if I have kids do they need a visa also? they are under 5yrs old?

June 21, 2013 at 5:18 am
(9) goindia says:

Hi Jessica, all American citizens need a visa to visit India. If you’re staying for longer than 72 hours, you’ll all need to get a tourist visa. You apply through the outsourcing agency that processes visa applications. I believe this is currently being transitioned from Travisa to BLS in the USA. BLS will handle India visa processing effective from July 1, 2013.

August 4, 2013 at 1:56 am
(10) mauricio ricaud says:

Hi! I’m french and i want to go to india for 4 days what do i need to do to be able to go?

August 4, 2013 at 1:11 pm
(11) goindia says:

Hi Mauricio, you’ll need to get a tourist visa from here: http://www.vfs-in-fr.com/english/touristvisa_checklist.html

August 6, 2013 at 3:25 pm
(12) Petra says:

Just got my US passport back without a VISA from BLS – no word what I did wrong, just everything send back to me. I live in Colorado, so I send it to Houston. It’s impossible to speak with anybody on the phone. Any suggestions?

November 7, 2013 at 9:22 pm
(13) Kevin says:

Hello, I was wondering I’m a US citizen and want to travel to India for tourism but I want to stay maybe from 3- 12 months would I have to obtain my Indian Visa before traveling to India? How would I do that? Is there such thing as obtaining double nationality in India if i would ever desire to move there?

November 8, 2013 at 7:09 am
(14) goindia says:

Hi Kevin, US citizens are not eligible for an Indian visa on arrival, so yes, you will need to apply for a tourist visa in advance through this agency in the US: http://www.visa.blsindia-usa.com/

No, India does not offer dual nationality, sorry. You can stay in India for a maximum of 6 months at a time on a tourist visa, even if your visa is valid for a longer duration.

November 26, 2013 at 1:19 am
(15) mirr says:

how can i apply tourist visa? what kind of visa if i stay in india for about 1 month

November 26, 2013 at 4:41 am
(16) goindia says:

Please refer to this article for information: http://goindia.about.com/od/planningyourtrip/a/indianvisa.htm

January 14, 2014 at 5:01 pm
(17) Jose Melo says:

I am from Brazil and these days I’m in Frankfurt-Germany. I would like go to India for 15 days for tourism. Is it posible to me get a visa here
in Germany? How to do?

January 14, 2014 at 11:40 pm
(18) goindia says:

Hi Jose, please refer to this website: http://www.indianembassy.de/pages.php?id=25

You’ll find the necessary information there. You’ll need to apply for a Tourist Visa.

February 23, 2014 at 5:39 pm
(19) Khushi says:

Hi, I want to knw tht my friend is frm Pakistan bt living in Australia for long tym nw n she hav Australian passport. N wnt to vists india. Will she able to get it..

February 24, 2014 at 1:56 am
(20) goindia says:

Hi Khushi, it will be difficult. Even if she is successful in getting the visa, she should expect it to take quite a while to be processed.

March 27, 2014 at 2:24 pm
(21) Rhys says:

Hi,

I am in Mumbai for 19 hours just as a stop over on way to Sri Lanka, do I need a visa or is there a hotel within the airport that I can stay in?

Many thanks

March 27, 2014 at 10:31 pm
(22) goindia says:

Hi Rhys, there is no airport hotel yet unfortunately. You’ll need a transit visa if you want to leave the airport.

March 31, 2014 at 12:04 pm
(23) outdoorsteps says:

Do travelers who are not leaving the airport and merely laying over in India need a visa of any kind?

April 1, 2014 at 3:12 am
(24) goindia says:

No, no visa is needed if you don’t leave the airport. However, your luggage will need to be checked all the way through.

April 9, 2014 at 10:48 am
(25) Martina says:

Hi, I’d like to know how to proceed on Delhi airport during travelling from Vienna to Kathmandu via Delhi. Do I need for such trip to Nepal a visa? I suppose not to leave the Delhi airport and wait there for flight to Kathmandu about 10 hours. And the same process on the way back from Nepal via Delhi airport in cca. 20 days. Thanks a lot for answer.

April 9, 2014 at 10:12 pm
(26) goindia says:

Hi Martina, if your luggage will be checked all the way to Kathmandu and you do not intend to leave Delhi airport (that is, not go through immigration), then you will not need a visa for India. Otherwise, you should get a Transit Visa for India.

April 15, 2014 at 12:18 pm
(27) Mari says:

Hi, I’m a Japanese citizen and hold a US permanent residency. I’d like to travel from Detroit to Delhi for my friend’s wedding, stay in India for 7-8 days, fly from Delhi to Japan, stay in Japan for 7-8 days, fly back to Delhi and catch the last plane within three hours to Detroit (not planning on leaving the airport). Because I’m planning to purchase two round-trip tickets 1) DTW-DEL-DTW 2) DEL-KIX-DEL (the second trip will be in between the dates of the first ticket), I’m concerned about my luggage and visa situation. My luggage is not going to be checked in all the way to DTW from KIX (different airlines). Can I just obtain a visa on arrival for the first arrival in Delhi and not for the second arrival from Japan? Or should I obtain multiple-entry visa?
Thank you so much in advance for your answer.

April 16, 2014 at 1:09 am
(28) goindia says:

Hi Mari, the issue is that you can’t get two visas on arrival so close together, plus the visa on arrival fee is $60. Japanese citizens get reduced rates for normal tourist visas (not including visas on arrival), so it would be more convenient and cheaper to get a multiple entry tourist visa to cover you for both entries. However, the visa application process in the US is a bit of a nightmare at the moment (due to the agency that’s handling the processing) and fact that you’re not a citizen may add extra cost/time onto it. You can find out more information on this website: http://www.visa.blsindia-usa.com/touristVisa.php (I’m not sure when you’re intending to travel).

Otherwise, you could get a visa on arrival in India and a transit visa in Japan. Japanese citizens also get discounted transit visas.

April 16, 2014 at 10:01 am
(29) Mari says:

Great, thank you for the answer.
My travel is in December, so I’ll start looking into it for multiple entry tourist visa.

April 19, 2014 at 11:38 am
(30) Download flappy bird hack says:

Hi mates, its impressive paragraph regarding tutoringand
fully explained, keep it up all the time.