1. Travel
Sharell Cook

Challenges When Visiting Tirupati Temple

By March 28, 2012

Lord Venkateshwar temple.
Lord Venkateswara temple, Tirupati
www.flickr.com user dwimalu.

The Lord Venkateswara temple in Tirupati is perhaps India's most popular temple. An astonishing amount of pilgrims visit it -- on average 65,000 people a day.

As you can probably imagine, a crowd that big creates a number of challenges. Yet, in testament to the importance of religion in daily life in India, it doesn't discourage many from making the journey. After all, Hindu scriptures state that it's Lord Venkateswara (a form of Lord Vishnu) who can grant liberation during this dark Kali Yuga.

Nevertheless, I was still surprised to read a recent news report stating that pilgrims must wait 21 hours to get a darshan (viewing) of just one second with the Lord. And, that's only when temple guards and volunteers really push and shove people through!

The situation is made worse by the privileges given to VIPs (politicians, ministers, judges, those who donate more than 1 crore rupees, sports people, celebrities, and industrialists -- anyone with some authority). Twice a day, they're allowed a special darshan, while common pilgrims are held back for up to four hours.

And then, there are the challenges of just getting to the temple, getting heads shaved, and finding somewhere to stay -- all with rampant corruption apparently adding to the cost. It makes a normal pilgrimage very arduous indeed.

Have you been to Tirupati? What was your experience like? Do you think a pilgrimage there is worth it, or is it better to focus on God being within and all around?

More About Visiting Temples in India:

Comments
March 28, 2012 at 4:10 pm
(1) Manu Nair says:

@Sharrel, Please do some more research on the myth and story before writing something about the temple. You have to understand the story why Lord Venkiteswara like people who give him money. There is a reason. So its not a normal ordinary temple. More money you give him, more you get blessings from him. Please do ask devotees of Lord and people who go there often. He is powerful god. People donate Billion not even million to Lord Venkiteswara which is for a purpose.

March 29, 2012 at 8:54 am
(2) goindia says:

Hi Manu, my name’s spelled Sharell not Sharrel. ;-) Thanks for elaborating on the myth and legend behind the temple. However, it doesn’t change the main points of the blog post, being the challenges when visiting the temple, including the corruption that exists there as reported by the Times of India. I’m not questioning why people give the Lord money. That is their personal business. People do need to know what to expect when visiting the temple though.

March 31, 2012 at 10:59 pm
(3) Saurabh says:

Hi Sharell, i must tell you this bit about waiting 21 hours to get a glimpse holds no credibility. I personally have been to Tirupathi a couple of times, it is a very well organised Temple i feel. There is an encoded ticket given to every pilgrim, and on the ticket is given a time as to when you are supposed to stand in the queue. There are tickets of various denominations, nd special free tickets are provided to people who walk up from Tirupathi ( the foothills) to Tirumala(the Shrine up on the mountains).
I have tried the walking thing and also once had bought a Rs.50 ticket. It never takes more than 5-6 hours,its not just about my experience, i know a lot of people who visit Tirupathi atleast once a year. And the shovelling through is real, but it is the public behind that makes it happen.
The shaving of the head is too simple a procedure, there are two types of tonsure halls , one is a free one and the other is paid, the paid thing is just Rs.10.
You get a 2 bed – room on a 24hr basis just for Rs.50(of course limited rooms but very good in number),there is another option of lockers and waiting halls too.
The 21hr phenomena happens once in a blue moon, on days of great importance maybe. But with a 100,000 people visiting everyday, i think Tirupathi has done a great job.
A perfect darshan at Tirupathi needs good planning and analysis. And after all its a pilgrimage, a journey, there are always gonna be twists and turns.

April 3, 2012 at 10:31 pm
(4) goindia says:

Hi Saurabh, thanks so much for your comment. This was just the insightful perspective I was looking for. I’m sure many people will find it helpful. So, I wonder what’s the reason for all the drama in the TOI?

April 9, 2012 at 2:51 pm
(5) Saurabh says:

The pleasure is all mine. Sure, i know and hence i did not argue.They will, i hope.
One man’s(reporter’s) thought cannot be accounted for what is real.He did not know what to do where to go, “how to be”. In Tirupathi you find people sleeping in waiting halls on the floor directly,but after their darshan they are like people of no regret and no hard feelings, they are people who have attained real pious entertainment and are well appreciating it.
U have been to the Ganga right, u see the evening aarti on the banks, on seeing it, u think hard, real hard, before you go to sleep, it is the same feeling you get after seeing Bhagvan Venkataswarji ki murti(Idol) in Tirumala. It is a feeling undescribabale, parantu “Jiska Mann Saaf hai wahi use Enjoy kar paayega”.
True stuff.

April 10, 2012 at 12:04 am
(6) goindia says:

Amazing. Yes, I have experienced both the Haridwar and Rishikesh Ganga aartis. It was moving in indescribably ways, particularly the Haridwar one. I would rate it as one of the most remarkable spiritual experiences of my life. My view of spirituality is that what ever brings people closer to god is good, so if a trip to Tirupati does that — fantastic despite the “apparent hardships”. I’m glad you’ve had such meaningful experiences there, and glad you shared it with us. :-)

August 21, 2012 at 2:07 am
(7) Trilok says:

Dear Sharell, I guess it all boils down to planning. I agree that if you go to Tirumala without prior bookings, you will end up for 21 hours for darshan. This wait period could be even more during festival days. To address this, Tirumala authorities (TTD – Tirupati Tirumala Devasthanam) have a online booking facility, from where you can book darshan tickets as well as accomodation in advance.

I have been using this facility for years now, with accomodation and darshan (eSudarshan – INR 50 ticket / head ) timing booked in advance, it just takes 1-2 hours for darshan on ordinary days and max around 2-3 hours on weekends.

Hope the above information will be useful for you and your friends for future visits to India and especially to tirupati…

August 23, 2012 at 6:27 am
(8) goindia says:

Thanks so much for sharing, Trilok. Much appreciated. :-)

October 19, 2012 at 8:53 am
(9) Govinda says:

Senior citizens, physically handicapped, and heart patients are allowed 3 or 4 times a day. But their line is joined with the general queue. Heavy pushing from behind, volunteers pulling and dragging the old people is very unbearable. VIPs ! Who are they? Some of them are criminals, murderers, people of licentious behaviour, corrupt to the core, parasites on Mother India ! They are taken very near the idol. The real devotees are dragged and pulled and pushed out of the temple .. A shame. Better to visit local temples.

October 21, 2012 at 3:21 am
(10) Shalini says:

hi Govinda is right. Very horrible queue for Senior citizens, physically handicapped, and heart patients.

December 4, 2012 at 9:12 am
(11) Raj says:

I am so glad I am an atheist and dont believe in this darshan mumbo-jumbo!

December 17, 2012 at 12:41 pm
(12) ganesh says:

hi frnz ..as i am from andhra pradesh i can manage nd confortable take my frnz there nd come bk happy.. I always think how the people from different states comes there face difficult in staying,launguage and many more problem some are poor they cant affort lot of money.. I am not complaining dear frnd i only suggest to make a necissery arrangement.. Is there any arrangement which i may not know..? But in view the tirupathi is a beautiful powerful gods place i love it so much from: well wisher

January 25, 2013 at 5:38 am
(13) Justme says:

Hi Sharell,
Whats in a name? a rose called by any other name will be just as pretty ;) what’s in a spelling as long as you were addressed in good intent, but I’m no english pro… to the language or culture.

Taking the time for this post to note a few things esp after looking at your bio. First off the bat – its been a year since this blog was posted but its still as wrong as when it was first published. Wrong because its obvious you have not been there in person at the time of the post and it relies on someone else’s report who obviously hasn’t been there also OR chose to be there looking for his take on things as being bad and trying to pass them off as real bad and reality.

Second off the bat, having lived in India for a while you should know by now what you call mythology is history. Its very unfortunate if you chose to live in India not because of all you mentioned in your Bio. India is very in the face to a lot of people esp from the “west”, although Aussies are not in the west ;)

Third – you should also know and hopefully mention in your blogs spiritual enlightenment or the momentary feeling of complete peace has nothing to do with luxuries or so called “basic” necessities.

and last off the bat – Like the first commentor and Saurabh have mentioned Tirumala ;) is not about who, how much. that one second of peace is what most people like me make the journey for and in that one second I don’t notice the pushing and shoving. to put this in context there is only 86400 seconds in a day ;)

JustMe – JustYou

PS – Dont care if this is not published because I typed this for your reading pleasure. I will try to return in the next few days after my one more Tirumala trip.

January 25, 2013 at 5:39 am
(14) Justme says:

Continued ;) I already typed it so why waste it.. power of Ctrl X – Ctrl V

spirituality is not all about being close to God/Goddess, its about being close to yourself and being real – seeing the reality for what it is – nothing ..absolutely nothing is in your control. You may already know this but chose to reply differently for the benefit of the ever willing misguided public

To be dispel any stereo types, I’m not uneducated, not poor, not rich, don’t (currently) live in India so I’ve seen a few places, have spent the nights on railway platforms not just in India. Next time I visit Tirumala I will still gladly part with whatever I can, even if its just the little hair on my head :)

Corruption – don’t we all love this in the Indian context? do you think tipping in the west is OK, so why exclude the govt employees from this perk or they not working hard enough?

February 19, 2013 at 5:52 am
(15) Saikiran P says:

Hi Sharrel,

I am a native of Tirupati. I agree with your topics.

Corruption, Money and political domination are very common in any Indian temple. I know some persons that are earning daily 2,3 lacks with darshan ticket brokering in Tirumala.

Lord Venkateswara is earning now one thousand crores per annum but officials, employees and brokers are earning illegally two three times more than that amount. No one can stop this because all are corrupted.

Once upon a time tirumala tour is a devotional tour. Now it is a luxury tour.

However, God is so powerful. You can understand that because of one lack people are coming daily to see him.

February 19, 2013 at 11:00 pm
(16) goindia says:

Thanks for your insightful perspective, Saikiran P. It’s quite astonishing!

February 21, 2013 at 6:08 am
(17) Wanderer says:

Thank God! I read all the comments on this page.

Sharrel, had I just read your post without the comments may be I would have dropped the idea of going to Tirumala. Please, if you are trying to be a guide to others, make sure you pass on the first hand information.

Thanks.

February 21, 2013 at 11:04 pm
(18) goindia says:

The idea is to open up discussions on what was raised in the media. As you can see, people have varied views and experiences. The amount of time taken to have darshan is typically in accordance with the time/day/month of visiting, and the amount of money paid. Hope you have an enjoyable experience.

February 26, 2013 at 8:56 am
(19) Shivoham says:

Hi Sharell,

I happened to stumble upon your website. The topic you have raised has indeed ruffled a few feathers as well as generated important clarifications. You must know that it is the way of the media to report what usually elicits attention. The reason why I wanted to write in is because I am back fresh from a Tirupati trip just yesterday and it was a smooth, systematic, fulfilling experience with darshan in roughly 3 and a 1/2 hrs; albeit distracting administrative stuff to remember every now and then, which is a given in such a trip.

When i went 5 years back, I was completely lost because of lack of info and planning. But still, we managed to have a darshan within 12 hrs of landing as we registered for the Anga Pradakshinam offered on a daily quota basis. It makes a lot of sense to plan in advance for accomodation imprtantly if one has a longer duration of stay OR if one is not comfortable staying at common amenities centers where baths toilets are shared. Information is key – is never an understatement to manage activities in Tirumala.

Tirupati is NOT a place where one decides today and travels the next day. But still we did exactly that because our trip was by foot uphill and that has its own advantages. Having said that, i would also say that TTD does cater to all kinds of people – the planners as well as the spontaneous, the rich and poor, weak and strong…yes, the jostlers and jostled too. Finally it boils down to a “combination of our mindset, preparation, and mostly abundance of grace from the Lord Himself.” Every subsequent trip is a great learning both spiritually and practically. A visit to Tirumala teaches one to be prepared at all times as well as forces one to let go at appropriate times. It is indeed a seamless beautiful marriage of divine help and human effort.

February 26, 2013 at 11:40 pm
(20) goindia says:

Thanks a lot of your meaningful and valuable input, Shivoham. Glad that you had an easier pilgrimage the second time around. :-)

March 1, 2013 at 7:32 am
(21) Vijaya says:

I visited LORD VENKATESHWARA– TIRUPATI with a few ladies. I stay at goregaon,Mumbai — booked tickets for train -ticket counter is next door then theres a office at Matunga,Mumbai yu have to book online the date of your travel arrival to the temple JUST ONLY PAY RS 50/– PER PERSON and tell them the time with your ID PROOF —- yu will get the time and date printed on your ticket –we reached Tirupati on the day and time printed .Hotel booking all was done from mumbai. Within an hour we got the Darshan –TIRUPATI IS 1ST MOST VISITED TEMPLE IN INDIA… RICHEST GOD IN THE WORLD….SITUATED ON SESHADRI PARVAT– mountains… people offer gold ornaments/ kgs of gold / offer their hair head shaved… The LORD blesses them.. He is LORD VISHNU SHRIMAN NARAYAN…. Sakshat–People donate crores of rupees….

March 31, 2013 at 1:24 am
(22) Venky says:

Every bit of your stay and 101% everything is well organized. For the place where you enter the actual temple and view the Lord, its not elderly friendly or supporting the differently abled persons…TTD should think about it…but for the crowd that is gathering no where in the world people can better manage than Thirupathi. Look at New York…I really hate that place…

April 16, 2013 at 4:26 am
(23) myfuture says:

It is really ture that to get blessing you need not visit tirupati but I am visitting to thank and give offerings for fulfilling my wish. Lord is indeed great for him I can go through any hardship. But will not like other followers to be made to suffer for facilitating good darshan to big influencial peoples.
We should support who speak against injustice at any place

April 16, 2013 at 1:46 pm
(24) Kiran says:

Dear Sharrel,

please do understand that there is lot that is beyond science and which science cannot understand,

hence i do beleive in god (Lord Venkateshwara) who is with in and around us,

you might have a dought that WHY ” rampant corruption ” or ordanary people have to wait till 21 hrs for 1 sec darshan of lord if he really exists , for us to understand these reasons we need to also know that these are effects of kali yuga ( Similar to that Christ has to undergo all the pains given to him on cricification inspite he was GOD).

So i recon that no one has right to question about any beliefs of any religion what so ever.

Hope you do understand my point on this.

GOVINDA… GOVINDA

May 21, 2013 at 1:18 am
(25) Venkat says:

Sharell,
Hardship – yes. Corruption – yes. Got many ideas how to improve the admin set up in Tirupati – Very much yes. These life-style approach / suggestions are obliterated and simply ignored by one jey aspect. Faith.

Though you have managed ruffled feathers (intentional or unintentional, if don’t know ;) ), I appreciate the fact that you will perhaps never be able to see Tirupati or even Ganga Arthi, beyond the mere symbolism they display to your eyes.

Faith changes it all for me. And may be it can make you view it differently if you see thru your heart.

Else such experiences will be a mere symbolism for people like you – something like a prosthetic matter for a broken arm. May be it would help one to write an article but would still be difficult to understand what is written.

June 10, 2013 at 5:06 am
(26) Notsohappy says:

I had a horrible experience in tirupathi. After all the pushing and shoving finally when i got the darshan and i close my eyes for a sec, to my suprise i was pushed aside by the temple staff. There are many places and temples where we get a sense of calmness and blissful peace, a renewed energy to face the challenges ahead of us . I am very sorry to say but i did not get that feeling here in tirupati. Its just a hype and nothing else, a bunch of crooks running the place and a bunch of sick temple staffs mishandling the people.

August 15, 2013 at 9:59 am
(27) Vijay says:

Well written article. Thanks for the general info. Some of the comments are senseless :)

August 29, 2013 at 8:48 am
(28) Drkavitha says:

Hi sharell
Is tirupathithe only place u ve visited to comment. How about other places out of India,,,,have u visited the Vatican… I ve visited both.
Tirupathi cAters to close to 1 lakh devotees a day,,, the darshan starts from 4am to 12 midnight. With 4 hrs break in-between .but still it is cleaner and yes the staff will have to shove people,if they have to accomdoate such a large number of devotees
As far the Vatican city is concerned,,,the people around stole my purse..but no complaints,,,,got to see the pope.
It all lies in the mind and heart..it needs to be pure and accepting

August 30, 2013 at 12:49 am
(29) goindia says:

Hi Drkavitha, yes, I’ve been to the Vatican and seen the pope, albeit 15 years ago. I didn’t encounter any problems there.

October 2, 2013 at 11:40 am
(30) VK says:

I returned yesterday from Tirupati. I have to agree with a lot of the criticism. However it must be said that it is very well maintained even though such a large number of people visit every single day.

My criticism is with the people who try to make a fast buck from pilgrims and play on their emotions when they are on a spiritual journey. The minute you start guarding yourself against these people, your mind loses its sense of peace and well being.

They should really open up the walls surrounding the diety so the Lord can be viewed from all sides when walking around as a parikrama. Some of the barricaded routes are not at all senior friendly and definitely not disabled friendly. The preists and touts and trustees rule the roost here. If you pay them big money, you can get faster darshan. However, it must be said that you have to pick the right day and time for your visit so you can get faster darshan. Sunday night, we were able to get darshan on a Rs50 ticket within half an hour and we were so prepared for a long wait. It was amazingly smooth.

October 4, 2013 at 6:53 am
(31) RC says:

What a lovely insight into Tirupati. As it is the month of Purattasi, and curious to know what’s happening in Tirupati, I came across this site. I visited Tirupati some 6 years ago and what a humbling experience it was. We stood in the queues for approx 8 hours, but with the bhajans and chanting around us, I was immersed in spiritual bliss to Lord Venkatswara. Yes, I agree, we did pay quite a fortune getting in, but you know what……….I still feel it was all well worth the money wand wait. I would love to go back to Tirupati again and probably the next time, walk up.

October 10, 2013 at 3:18 am
(32) Karthik says:

The Lord of the Seven Hills, as the Lord Venkateshwara of Tirumala is called, is our family deity and we visit the temple almost every year. We have never spent more than a couple of hours hrs for Darshan, with 5 hrs being the longest ever. However, the news report about waiting for 21 hrs for a mere glimpse of the sanctum may very well be true. There have been times when people have waited 48 hrs in line for darshan. But then, it all depends on what time of the year/calendar you visit Tirumala. For instance, if you’re there around ‘Rathotsavam’ or the ‘temple car festival’ during the Dussera Navaratris or during the ‘Brahmotsavam’ or during ‘Vaikuntha Ekadasi’, then, you could get caught in line for way more than just a couple of hours. There are certain times of the year when the crowd is indeed massive, shooting up to more than 500,000 and on occasion up to 700,000 people. So, in a sea of humanity, one can’t expect to snake in and out of the place without so much as an ‘inconvenience’.

October 10, 2013 at 3:18 am
(33) Karthik says:

As it is, the temple gets around 60,000-100,000 pilgrims on an average day which makes it the most visited Hindu temple in the world. But the temple administration has a stellar record of managing the crowds. In all these years, in spite of the crowds and the relatively small area of the temple complex, only one person has been reported killed in a minor stampede a couple of years ago. The crowds are otherwise well managed and crowd related accidents and mishaps are quite rare to non-existent. Of course, once you reach the sanctum, the push-and-shove ritual of the TTD staff is indeed annoying. But imagine a long line of 100,000 people behind you waiting to experience the same thing you are. There must be someone who takes on the hated job of managing them. Add to that the ridiculous favoritism shown to VIPs, VVIPs and I don’t know how many more ‘V’s to VIPs. The sublimeness of the whole experience does indeed evaporate and you end up cursing people in a place of pilgrimage.

Of late, the TTD administration has taken steps to do streamline the whole VIP special darshan process, although I’d like it to be done away with altogether. So, I’m hoping there won’t be as much inconvenience as before. But as for the crowds, I guess you’ll just have to pick the right time to go to Tirumala. May be May-July? You could follow the TTD website tirumala.org to keep track of the events and decide.

October 15, 2013 at 1:48 am
(34) rahul says:

To hell with TTD Staffs , These bastards do not hesitate to push a old men just because she cannot walk as quick as others. I would never visit such place unless they have proper infrastructure and Staff with little manner.

October 18, 2013 at 4:36 am
(35) hellishvisits says:

I am back from Tirumala today and was looking for an appropriate place to post my experience when I came across this post. I have visited Tirumala for more than 15 times in my lifetime. But after my Parents started aging and I got a small kid, I had stopped the trips, I had visited Tirumala almost after 7 years. Believe me, irrespective of whatever people say, if you cannot lash out enough of money or time, your visit to Tirumala is hellish.

October 18, 2013 at 4:37 am
(36) hellishvisit says:

continued…The minute you decide to pay visit, you are so excited, with the joy in your heart that you are going to visit the most holy God. I choose to take my family by paying Rs.300/- for special darshan and it took 5 hours for me in the queue. I wonder what would happen with the people paying free visit. Let me tell you, it is lack of commonsense of visitors and the dishonesty of administrative staff that makes the visit so unpleasant. I am an Indian from Andhra and I have no trouble in admitting that majority of Indians lack cleanliness. They do not mind spitting around while walking in the Q nor littering , the place how much ever holy does not matter. The worst part I do not understand is why the people tend to push around in the Q. With so much of pushing around all they achieve is saving of 5-15 minutes. In between this pushing around and stampede, my daughter was bold enough to shout out loud that, this is a worst place, there is no neatness, I will never come with you people next time here, people in the Q around were starting at her, as if, she committed a crime, while she was hundred percent true and speaking her heart. Then comes the time for ‘darshan’, after 4 hours of waiting, me carrying my daughter on my shoulders so that she will not be pushed, stamped and crushed(I am honestly not exaggerating, it is bound to happen if you do not carry your chiild), the darshan lasts only for only 2 seconds, in that 1 second getting wasted in balancing my daughter and avoiding myself from getting pushed by administration. This is only one part of the story.

October 18, 2013 at 4:37 am
(37) hellishvisit says:

continued…Being a local of Andhra, let me tell you the other part of it. You will get 2 laddus per Rs.300 ticket, so I wait for another 1 hour at the laddu counter to get my share of laddus. Growing up in Tirupati, I can still recall my childhood days, when I could get to eat a laddu almost everyday, my neighbour was some TTD employee. Let me tell you the laddus these privileged people get to eat everyday are not the usual ones you get when you pay visit to Tirumala, these are double the size of normal ones. VIPS, donors or any person working at any level in Tirumala can get hold of this, but not visitors. No one reading this post can disagree that, 90% of the big money donated is black money. Now, are the se devotees paying off God, because God blessed them with so much money while innocent common man has to await long hours to get a glimpse of God. There might be people like my elderly parents, not finding any other reason for this discrimination attribute it to “kaliyug”. Well, I know God in every religion said that in “Kaliyug” or end of days, crime, corruption are bound to increase, but did God also said that, he will also bless only such corrupted people in “Kaliyug”, did he say that only such people get more liberty to pay visit to him?

November 10, 2013 at 12:44 am
(38) Rao says:

Lord is great.The problem is with people administering the temple.The TTD employees do not care for the pilgrims unless they are paid directly or indirectly.If you can spare a couple of thousand rupees ,u can have darshan in one hour while people in the que are waiting for more than 12 hours.

December 28, 2013 at 10:51 pm
(39) ShobhaGowri says:

Hi Sharell
It is a daunting temple-yes!Just watching the crowds milling around 24 hours a day is a sight I,an avid traveler,have never seen in any part of the world.
Now to answer your concerns-many years ago we just walked into the temple-no tickets,no pushing-pulling,just walk in direct.And then it all changed-with as you say 65 thousand on an ordinary day to a few hundred thousands on a good day .
The tagging helps-now you know when you will see the Lord and therefore you keep yourself occupied til then.The sheer ingenuity of planning the wait is astounding:every thinkable facility is provided in the ‘shelter’ a s it seems to be called-it isn’t a shelter though.You can have a bath,have food,watch TV,sleep.Yes the temple is meant for folks with money if you need comforts.But for the many millions that one minute glance of the Lord is all they want.So if you ask me to sleep int he outside I will-such is the faith,such is the power of the Lord.
Prayers of all kind get answered-hence the flocking to the temple.
The authorities must be congratulated-for all the billions that come in does go to making the place more comfortable-like free food in plenty to all.
So who does the mischief-the people who think they are Gods themselves-it is the bane of this country.Corruption-we the people foster.
All you have mentioned is true-but nothing affects the need to visit the place;they are irritants but not deterrents.So plan well and you can have one of the most interesting trips on the planet-the temple,the surrounding hills and waterfalls and the Blessings

January 19, 2014 at 12:56 am
(40) TVS Subramanian says:

When one is part of a group while visiting Tirumala Temple,it is preferred that an assembly Point with a land mark is decided by the Group so that frantic search is avoided in the event of the members of the group missing each other.In the absence of cell phones it is quite difficult to establish contact.We were exposed to a tricky situation when we missed the group and chose to go to Car parking area only to find that other members were waiting somewhere near the point where we came out of the group.

January 19, 2014 at 1:31 am
(41) TVS Subramanian says:

The leader of our group was quite caring ensured that We were briefed to the minutest detail.But due to fallacies in my thinking I misunderstood that in order to take care of the elderly and Children in his family he had to choose to go breakfast since my brother and myself got detracted while speaking to somebody else and in the process failed to locate the group from where we left them.They were possibly sitting around in a group in the nearest spot which we failed to look around.I use this opportunity to emphasise the need to do a bit of planning before entry.

January 19, 2014 at 5:23 am
(42) TVS Subramanian says:

Since entry to the Queue in the temple varies depending upon the Crowd it is preferable to remember this and the nearest land mark so that one can choose to meet the other members of the group in case by chance we happen to miss each other.In my earlier comment ( No.41 detract may please be read as Distract )

March 29, 2014 at 10:20 am
(43) geeta says:

Hi just returned from tirupathi.i am going to this place since my childhood.i love going here but my main concern is why they not make it little organised.like making single queue.no pushing when we are waiting for 3hrs we will wait for another 1hrbut why pushing each other children get sequenced in that rush cannot we make it little organised..

April 10, 2014 at 4:01 pm
(44) Pankaj Kumar says:

I am thinking how my father/Mother will see Lord Govinda…. They are old n can’t face the huge crowd. There should be some option for Old/disable.. person.

April 14, 2014 at 7:10 am
(45) Madhu Pajeer Shetty says:

Dear Sharell Cook,
It is very interesting to see so many perspectives above. I was born in 1972 at the adobe of Lord Venketeswara, a small town right below the Tirumala hills, called Tirupti.
To my knowledge, I must be visiting Tirupati from the age of 9 months (we have ritual called Annaprasana that is introducing the new born to solid food through cooked rice offered to the Lord as ‘Prasadam’). Since then it became a part of my life to visit the temple almost at the spark of thought. Travel is simple, just by foot (I am serious! we use to walk straight 2 -3 hours covering a distance of 13-14km, half of it is steps). Once you reach go to Dharshan. If in a day total pilgrims cross 1000, it is a news!!!. There were no waiting lines, no pushing and pulling; no short or super short Dharshans, no VIPs, no special dharshan queues. All you need to carry is your devotional soul. Clean, pure, and divine experience. Modes of transportation increased along with population growth, political involvement has made it more chaotic. But one must commend the work of TTD; they could scale up to the demands very fast, trying to co-up the pressures from all parts of elite political and influential lads. There are protocols that they need to follow even for a district collector or a high court judge. But if we all collectively think about one factor, are we so elite in front our own creator? Do we need to follow the protocols in front of the Lord? Why can’t a minister or a Govt. officer says “hey look, do not arrange any special things for me, just let me join the same group of devotees who came from a long distance. Amid 65000 visitor, still today I walk out with the same blissful experience….divinity like a nectar flowing through my body and soul…. experience of unison…. this is the ultimate aim of any pilgrimage according to Hindu scripts… As long as TTD make sure this experience is intact…everything else is immaterial to a devotional soul.
Thank you . Madhu Pajeer.