1. Travel
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.
Sharell Cook

New Change to Indian Tourist Visa Rules

By December 9, 2009

Follow me on:

For a while now, the Indian government has been cracking down on tourists remaining in India long-term, and going on visa runs to neighboring counties such as Nepal. It's become quite difficult to get back to back six month tourist visas for India, without going home.

Now, the restrictions placed on Indian tourist visas are even tougher. Earlier this month, the government introduced a new rule that has the potential to affect EVERYONE with a valid multiple entry tourist visa who wants to re-enter India.

Alarmingly, the new rule requires people with multiple entry tourist visas to wait for a period of two months before returning to India. Initially, it was deemed relevant only to those holding five and 10 year tourist visas. However, the consensus now seems to be that it affects all categories of tourist visas.

So, even if you have a six month multiple entry tourist visa and you leave India, you most likely won't be allowed to return to India for two months. Exceptions can be made by applying for special permission from the "Mission/Embassy" abroad.

It's not surprising that the rule is causing a great deal of angst to tourists. Even more so because it is not widely understood, even by Indian authorities, or consistently applied.

There's a thread, containing some excellent information about the current situation, on the India Mike Forums. Let's hope some clarity is reached soon. The Indian government has a lot to answer for.

Have you been affected by the new Indian tourist visa regulations? Share your visa issues here.

Read about the Indian government's subsequent clarification of the new rule here.

December 16, 2009 at 1:40 am
(1) David Lewinson says:

I spoke to Travisa today; holders of tourist visas have to apply for a one-tome exemption in order to return once within the 6 month period – cost $13 + application and photos

December 17, 2009 at 4:30 am
(2) Anna says:

Hi David –

Do you know how to apply for this on-time exemption? I can’t find any info on the Indian visa tourist website and I’m scheduled to leave the country for a week, in about 3 days. i have a year-long, multiple entry visa. Thanks!

December 17, 2009 at 6:58 am
(3) goindia says:

Hi Anna, I just had a look on the Travista website for you and came up with this information. It says an exemption will only be granted if the need is urgent though (what ever that means)! Hope the info helps anyway. Do let us know what happens.


December 18, 2009 at 12:28 am
(4) goindia says:

What has been clarified by the Indian Government so far:

“In respect of foreign nationals who are issued with long term Tourist visa for 10/5 years, it is stipulated that there should be gap of at least 2 months between two visits. Stay on each visit should not exceed 180 days in case of UK nationals and 90 days in case of nationals of remaining countries entitled to long term tourist visa. In case a visit to India is required with in 2 months period, special permission of the Mission/Post would be required.”

It’s still unclear whether the new rule will apply to short term tourist visas as well. This is particularly so because the Indian Embassy in Germany stipulates that even tourists on 6 month visas will be subjected to the 2 month wait, even if they stay less than 90 days. http://www.indianembassy.de/template.php?mnid=801&sm=1&inclpage=cservices.htm

December 21, 2009 at 8:20 pm
(5) LS says:

How does one apply for a special permission to head of the mission? I just came back from attending one wedding last month and I have to go again in January [unavoidable visit]. Can we just go to the New York Consulate and get the special persmission?

Or is it the process like applying for a new visa?


December 21, 2009 at 11:33 pm
(6) goindia says:

Hi there, you can apply in person at Travista in NYC: https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/offices?id=106

Start here with filling out your application form, and select the option for Re-entry Exemption.


It’s kind of like applying for a new visa, in that you have to go through the same channel and similar process. Good luck!

January 2, 2010 at 7:05 am
(7) goindia says:

The Indian government has finally offered clarification about the new tourist visa rules. The official stance is that the two month gap will apply to ALL categories of tourist visas. Further information:


January 16, 2010 at 8:58 am
(8) ann duckworth says:

when they say two months, how many days do they mean exactly, i arrived back on 9th jan, so exactly what date could i go again?

January 16, 2010 at 11:53 am
(9) goindia says:

The directive counts the time in months only, not days (so 2 months, not 60 days). On that basis, I’d say 9th March.


January 19, 2010 at 10:56 am
(10) emma mason says:

hi, l returned form goa on the 9th of january and lm booking to go back on the 8th of march, do you think l will have a problem with this? also a friend of mine returned to the uk from goa on the 29th of decemeber and then returned to goa on the 12th of january without any complications! does all the rules apply to everywhere in india or are some places stricter then others?

January 19, 2010 at 2:11 pm
(11) goindia says:

The time starts ticking from the date you depart India, up until the date you arrive in India again. Hopefully, you should be okay with those dates but it wouldn’t hurt to make it 9th March to be on the safe side. The dates are usually inclusive (ie. 9th to 9th) like on visas. The situation with your friend typically highlights the problem with this rule — inconsistent application. It does apply everywhere in India, but the immigration officers in some places either haven’t heard of the new rule or don’t apply it properly. Slowly, they’ll start to catch up though I guess. So it’s really a game of chance. So many people are reporting so many different scenarios. :-(

January 19, 2010 at 2:40 pm
(12) t.fanning says:

have friends going to goa for three weeks.
then travelling to thailand cambodia vietnam.
flights booked from mumbai.for six weeks.then returning to goa for three weeks.

January 20, 2010 at 12:25 am
(13) goindia says:

The new rules allow up to three entries into India if it’s for genuine travel purposes (using India as a base to travel to other neighboring countries), as is the case for your friends. However, they will need to obtain an endorsement in their passport from the Indian Embassy/Consulate to authorize it. They’ll need to provide copies of their travel itinerary and tickets when applying for the endorsement, as proof of their travel plans.

January 20, 2010 at 8:21 am
(14) goindia says:

Oh, the clarification also says that two or three entries may automatically be allowed without the endorsement if the traveler can show the immigration officer their ticket and itinerary on arrival in India.

See Section 3, Answer to Question 2 (II)


January 20, 2010 at 11:15 pm
(15) Eric says:

My girlfriend from Thailand travel to India with me on 2nd Dec 2009 and we plan to go back on end of Jan 2010. She had a Tourist visa (6 month, multiple entry) which will expire on 18 Feb 2010. I had a “B” Visa for 1 year. So I am wondering whether my friend can re-apply for a new Tourist Visa after the current one expire and travel again to India around end of Feb?

January 21, 2010 at 5:24 am
(16) goindia says:

Unfortunately, no, according to the new rules, she’ll need to wait for at least a month after her tourist visa expires before applying for a new visa. Applications made sooner than that are referred to the Ministry of Home Affairs in Delhi for approval.

January 24, 2010 at 9:10 am
(17) NC says:

I obtained a multi-entry 6 month visa from the UK Indian High Commission in November 09, specifying that I would be going twice, on the 5th December and 22nd January. I was not told about this new restriction at the application stage, on my visit on the 5th, or at any time between then and the 22nd. So I arrived on the 22nd for a 3 week arranged tour to be turned away. Why didn’t the High Commission contact those with multi-entry visas about the new rule, and, if it only came into force in January, why is it being applied retrospectively?

January 25, 2010 at 2:35 am
(18) goindia says:

Hi NC, I’m so sorry to hear about your situation. It must have been extremely upsetting and frustrating for you. Unfortunately, this is an example of Indian bureaucracy and disorganization at its worst. In my view, it’s absolutely appalling. The rule actually came into force in late 2009, but there was no official notification or statement about it from the Indian government. Embassies in different countries had different information posted on their websites about it. This resulted in a great deal of confusion about the rule’s application (even many Immigration officers weren’t aware of it, or how to apply it properly). The Indian government finally provided formal clarification in January — after much agitation from tourists etc. One would expect to be notified about the rule, but this is India that we’re dealing with. :-(

January 25, 2010 at 10:48 am
(19) Reen says:


I was in India for 4 days from 20th Jan to 24th Jan. When asking immigration on my way in to India they had informed me that the rule was not applicable to 6 months visa and only 5/10 year visa.

Can anyone clarify please what the final decision as I seem to be getting mixed opinions.


January 26, 2010 at 5:49 am
(20) goindia says:

Hi Reen, this perfectly highlights the confusion that exists about this rule and why it is inconsistently being applied — even immigration officers don’t know the correct information.

Please refer directly to the official clarification issued by the Indian Ministry of Home Affairs. The rule is applicable to ALL tourist visas (despite what the ignorant and misinformed may think).


January 27, 2010 at 6:05 am
(21) melissa says:

Hi, I am in India now with a 10 year business visa and my 7 year old son is travelling with me, on a tourist visa.
We are travelling back to the States soon, and plan or returning in 6 weeks. Does that mean I will be let in and My son will not?

January 27, 2010 at 10:36 am
(22) goindia says:

Hi Melissa, unfortunately, most probably yes. You should apply for the relevant permit for your son to be able to re-enter India before the 2 month period (available from the India visa processing center in your country). It’s applied for in the same manner as a visa.

In the US, have a look at:


February 1, 2010 at 6:12 am
(23) Franziska says:

I’m having a different problem that seems to have come with the new visa rules and I wonder if this is something thats esspecially applying for Germany: I was going to travel to India on 9 th of February and the last time I came back from there was on 30 of October – so the two months out of the country rule doesnt affect me. But at the embassy while trying to obtain the visa I was told that now additionally there has to be a gap of one month between the expiry of the old visa and the issuing of a new one. In my case: I had a one year visa before, which expired on 16 th of January and they informed me that I cant have a new one before 16 th of February. Did these diplomats over here get it completely wrong, or do germans have to suffer extra? Or is it even a special rule of the consulate in Hamburg?
Great anyhow since my flight is paid and expensive to change etc. – and I dont even ask what sense this could possibly make!

February 1, 2010 at 9:53 am
(24) goindia says:

Hi Franziska, so sorry that you’ve experienced this problem. If it’s any consolation to you, this additional new rule is for EVERYONE, not just Germans. The “wisdom” behind its introduction is to stop people from going for “visa runs” and applying for back-to-back visas.

The rule is documented here in Section 2(d) of the FAQ issued by the Indian Ministry of Home Affairs.


The good news is that it is apparently possible (according to the rules) to get a new visa within the one month period, but the application has to be forwarded to and approved by the Ministry of Home Affairs (Foreigners Division) in Delhi. Who knows what the process for that is like! You could try though, via the Embassy….

February 3, 2010 at 4:24 pm
(25) julie says:

Having returned from goa on 19th January after 3 week holiday we are looking forward to going back again on the 15th march for two weeks will we be allowed to travel, or will we be refused entry on our 6month multiple visa.

February 8, 2010 at 4:47 am
(26) goindia says:

Julie, if I were you I’d delay my return for a few days (so that the two months has expired), just to be on the safe side. Technically you won’t be allowed back in.

February 4, 2010 at 6:13 am
(27) Jan says:

why would ANYONE bother going to India for a holiday whe they have sych capricious notions.
We are stuck in Sri Lanka and can kiss goodbye to 3 flights, 1 train, 6 nights prepaid hotels.
Just a feeling….

February 8, 2010 at 4:45 am
(28) goindia says:

Jan, I know, it makes no sense at all. Especially when India is trying to increase tourism. The rule should have only been applied to new tourist visas, and properly communicated. So sorry to hear about your misfortune. It really isn’t fair. :-(

February 11, 2010 at 6:56 pm
(29) amy says:

I would be travelling to india, and I want to know if my son can go to the indian consulate to get a tourist visa if i give him all my paper work?

February 12, 2010 at 7:30 am
(30) goindia says:

Hi Amy, its best to check with the consulate that you intend to apply at. They’ll be able to give you a definitive answer. You should be able to apply by mail even.

February 13, 2010 at 9:57 am
(31) Joe says:

Hi, My friend from Sweden has been travelling in India for the past five months and will be travelling to Thailand, Vietnam and Singapore for two months after her six month visa Expires in March. Can she apply for a fresh six months visa to come back to India in Thailand while she is there. Should she do this 1 month after she leaves india (and expiry of the current visa) and then return one month after that time has elapsed (so that the case need not get referred to MHA and delay the granting of the visa). She is schedule to return back to Europe from India in August of this year and she wants to travel here for some more time before heading back to her home country. She booked this itinerary many months before the government decided to change the rules and now will need to be out of India longer than she had expected. Many thanks for your comments/suggestions.

February 14, 2010 at 12:14 am
(32) goindia says:

To the best of my knowledge, yes she can apply for a new visa in Thailand as long as she waits at least one month after her current visa expires. She must wait two months in total (after her departure from India) before coming back to India though. So she can leave India, wait a month, apply for new visa in Thailand, wait another month, then come back to India. Hope this helps! :-)

February 15, 2010 at 11:08 am
(33) Rprosad says:

I plan to go to India for a week and then bangladesh for 4 weeks. I am planning to buy round trip between US and Kolkata also between Kolkata and Dhaka.

My return to Kolkata would be just to come to US.

Will that be considered same itinerary? Will I be having any issue with this?


February 16, 2010 at 1:16 am
(34) goindia says:

Hi Rprosad, that itinerary should be fine. It shouldn’t cause an issue. :-)

February 15, 2010 at 12:45 pm
(35) Duygu says:

I just came from the Consulate without a Visa :/

I had a six months Visa which was expiring today. I left India on 15th of December.
According the new rules I should become a new Visa today.
But they said to me that I have to options:
1st one is they are going to inform Delhi that ı want a new Visa. But then I have to wait 14 days, and it is not sure that I will get the Visa!! And I will be on special list of possible abuse/misuse the visa…
The 2nd one I have to wait another 1 month to become the Visa definitely.

I decided to wait one month but I am really not sure about this rule that they said to me…

Is this all true??

February 16, 2010 at 12:58 am
(36) goindia says:

Hi Duygu, unfortunately, the situation is exactly how it’s been explained to you. It’s causing inconvenience to many people. :-(

February 16, 2010 at 12:23 pm
(37) Rprosad says:

Do I need a transit visa for India if I do not go out of airport for a short 3/4 hrs. layover in India. If I am tavelling from Bangladesh back to US.

February 16, 2010 at 12:35 pm
(38) goindia says:

You don’t need a transit visa if you don’t intend to collect your luggage and pass though immigration control at the airport — that is if you remain in the transit area only. If you need to collect your bags and check them in on another airline, then you’ll most likely need a transit visa. But won’t you already have an Indian multiple entry tourist visa anyway? That should cover you, since your itinerary shows that you’re only passing through India for a connecting flight — not staying and traveling.

See Section 3 2(II) here: http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/FAQ-TVis.pdf

February 22, 2010 at 3:18 am
(39) michael glitz says:

i had a one yea visa from my country (germany) and after that a 6 month visa from nepal. now in the high commission in sri lanka they told me i have to go back to my country if i want another visa for india and refused my application. what can i do?

February 22, 2010 at 7:19 am
(40) goindia says:

Michael, you could try your luck in Thailand. You must wait a month before applying for a new visa though, and most likely wait another month before returning to India (new rules).

February 23, 2010 at 11:53 pm
(41) Lucy & Alex says:

Hi! Can you please help us with a question. We have multiply indian visa for 3 months (december 16-march16). We arrived to Delhi in December 19, december 22 we left to Sri Lanka. Now we are here in Lanka for more then 2 months and we need to fly to Delhi on march 12, then home March 14. It seems like everything is ok. But with all this noise we cant be absolutely sure.
Thank you!

February 24, 2010 at 1:01 am
(42) goindia says:

Hi Lucy and Alex, I also think you’ll be fine with those travel plans. :-)

February 26, 2010 at 2:43 am
(43) david says:

Hi my girlfriend left india one month ago for indonesia and is coming back for 10 days as her flight back to europe is from here.will they let her in?and if not what happens?they put here on the first flight to anywhere?is there a possibilty that the imigration officer will let her in anyway?and what if the visa has been issued in 2009?I have heard that the new law is aplicable to the visas that actulaly have a print where it says no reentry for 2 months.thanks

February 26, 2010 at 9:18 am
(44) goindia says:

Hi David, to be honest, anything could happen. There still doesn’t seem to be much consistency in regards to application of the new rules. People have still been denied entry into India even though they haven’t had the “2 month” stamp in their passport. There is a good chance the immigration officer will let her in anyway if she has an itinerary to show that she’s passing through India on her way back home. Worst case scenario is that she won’t be allowed to board her flight to India from Indonesia.

Perhaps she could print out a copy of the Ministry of Home Affairs clarification about the rules to help argue her case if needs be: http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/FAQ-TVis.pdf

Specifically Section 3 (Q2. II)

Do let us know the outcome!

February 26, 2010 at 12:58 pm
(45) David says:

Thanks for your information! Do you know what will happen in case she is not allowed in India. Will she be sent to Europe on her own ticket or back Indonesia. And if she would be sent back to Indonesia, who will be paying the ticket for Indonesia?
Is there a possibility that she can fly to Nepal on the same day on a return ticket.
In case she is sent back to Europa, can she apply for reentry visa from there? As she would like to be in India for 10 days only.
Thanks a lot, David

February 27, 2010 at 12:11 am
(46) goindia says:

Hi David, yes she can apply for the re-entry visa in Europe. She can also apply for re-entry at the Indian Embassy in Indonesia. If she arrives in India and isn’t allowed in, usually the airline has to legally take responsibility (that’s why they check all visas and documents before allowing passengers to check in), so it will be their cost (but the airline may be able to pursue her to pay the cost). I think the chances of her being able to fly to Europe or Nepal are slim because she’d need to cross immigration in India first to check in for those flights — and that wouldn’t be possible if they won’t let her in the country. (I could be wrong about this though, I’m not speaking from experience. Just logic. There may be a system in place for these sorts of situations). Most likely, if she’s not allowed into India, she’ll be sent back to Indonesia.

February 26, 2010 at 5:08 pm
(47) Arvindo says:

We pay £39.05 for six months tourist visa of which £30.00 is the high commission of India’s fee.
With 2 month gap new rules should the fees not be reduced accordingly?
Why no one has raised this to HCL? Could this be fare?
It certainly looks like mine is mine and your is mine too.
An inginious scheme of money making machinery.
Await Reply

February 26, 2010 at 11:50 pm
(48) goindia says:

Arvindo, that’s a very good point you’ve raised! It’s definitely not fair. But I don’t think the Indian government cares. :-(

March 7, 2010 at 11:15 pm
(49) Devang says:

I am an Australian Citizen and a was born in india and had the indian passport, i was in India in december and was given a toursit visa for six months expiring in may 2010, i got married in december 2009 and want to go visit my wife and help her sort out her visa issues for Australia from new delhi, and i want to go in June 2010. Do u think i will be granted an Enrey Visa or not

March 8, 2010 at 1:50 am
(50) goindia says:

Hi Devang, good news, yes if you’re married to an Indian citizen you’re entitled to an Entry Visa (X Visa). Apply with a copy of your marriage certificate, and you shouldn’t have any problems. :-)

March 9, 2010 at 3:22 am
(51) Devang says:

I spoke to the consultant at the consulate in Canberra, they guy said that since i was an ex india citizen and i submitted a copy of my indian passport with my Entry Visa application i should be able to get the visa, now what my concern is even though i am an ex indian citizen, and i am also married to an Indian citizen…what are the chances that the embassy says since you have the tourist visa until may we cant give you a visa until July 2010, while i have to go to India in june or else my wife’s application for Australia will become late. I am just worried about the way these people operate

March 9, 2010 at 3:45 am
(52) goindia says:

Since the new rule only applies to tourist visas, it should not affect the application and granting of your X visa at all as this is a completely different and separate matter. X visas aren’t subject to the new rule. Hopefully the visa processing centre will have themselves together enough to know that the rules are separate for tourist visas and X visas. If they do try and give you problems, ask to speak to someone higher up. Hope this helps!

March 9, 2010 at 3:49 am
(53) Devang says:

Okay so that means if i wanst an Indian ex national than i would have problems getting any visa, even Entry Visa…just for knowledge,wats the difference between entry visa and tourist visa…as far as i knw, entry visa is for the ex indian citizens only right?..really appreciate your help in this…Thanks a lot

March 9, 2010 at 4:01 am
(54) goindia says:

Hi Devang, no you’d still be able to get the X visa regardless because you’re married to an Indian citizen. Anyone, from any country, is entitled to an X visa if they’re married to an Indian citizen. These are the two main ways of getting an X visa — be an ex-Indian citizen, or be married to an Indian citizen. You qualify on both accounts, so don’t worry, you’ll be fine. :-) You could also apply for a PIO (Person of Indian Origin) Card. It’s valid for 15 years, and gives you all the rights of an Indian citizen except voting and purchase of agricultural land. It also means that you don’t have to have a visa to visit India.

March 9, 2010 at 6:37 pm
(55) Ketan says:

The Canadian consulate Website refers to Tourist Visa at $62 and Visitors visa (to visit friends and relatives) at $123 for six months. Is this a new category? Does that mean that if you have friends/relatives in India then you must pay more for the Visa?

Does the two months waiting period between two trips still apply for the Visitor’s Visa?

March 10, 2010 at 3:05 am
(56) goindia says:

Hi Ketan, Visitors Visa? This is a new one to me too! I’ve never heard of it before. I’ll have to investigate and let you know.

March 10, 2010 at 3:20 am
(57) goindia says:

Hi again Ketan, I couldn’t find any mention of a Visitors Visa. Could you please post the link. An entry visa is mentioned on the website below for $123 for up to six months. An entry visa is also known as an X visa. Could this be what you’re referring to?


March 9, 2010 at 8:33 pm
(58) Devang says:

Thanks for the moral boosting info there cant wait to get my visas…PIO/OCI…which one is better…but i reckon the application for the both takes ages

March 10, 2010 at 3:09 am
(59) goindia says:

Devang, good luck with it all! You’ll be fine, I’m sure. For a comparison between PIO and OCI (and even NRI, for those who are interested), have a look at this document. :-)


Oh, and yes, it takes around 8 weeks for the application to be processed. You can get an X visa within a week though!

March 10, 2010 at 8:55 am
(60) Ketan says:
March 10, 2010 at 9:00 am
(61) ketan says:

Thank you for a quick reply.

Here is the link:


Category Fees in Canadian Dollar
Tourist Visa (valid up to 6 months) $62
Transit Visa (valid for 15 days) single/double entry $31
Conference / Volunteer Visa Upto 6 months $123
Upto One Year $183
Upto Five Years $306
Student Visa $115
Visitor Visa (For visiting friends and relatives)

(i) Entry visa is extendable in India at the discretion of authorities
(ii) Change of purpose not allowed Upto 6 months $123
Upto One Year $183
Upto Five Years $306
Employment Visa Upto 6 months $23

March 10, 2010 at 10:08 am
(62) goindia says:

Ah, when they say Visitor’s Visa they are actually referring to an X visa (entry visa). This is evidenced by the Note, where it says “Entry visa is extendable in India….”. And since an Entry Visa is only generally available to ex-Indian citizens or foreigners married to an Indian citizen, that would account for the visiting friends and relatives bit. India at its confusing best! ;-) The reason why an Entry visa costs more than a tourist visa is because it doesn’t have as many restrictions. For example, it can be extended in India (whereas a tourist visa can’t) and it’s not subjected to the new tourist visa rule requiring a 2 month gap between visits.

Hope this helps. :-)

March 10, 2010 at 11:08 am
(63) Ketan says:

Thank you for clearing the confusion….

The VFS global Services, the outsourced agency for Visa application in Toronto, however maintained that if are going to see a relative in India and apply for a Tourist Visa (cheaper than Visitor Visa), the Customs officer in India at his/her discretion may deny you an entry.

March 10, 2010 at 1:08 pm
(64) goindia says:

But that’s nonsense! How would the customs officer know if you’re going to visit a relative or not? All your family could be abroad and you’re just visiting India as a tourist. For obvious reasons, the person you spoke to has no idea what they’re talking about! Many Indians travel to India on tourist visas.

Refer to these FAQ about tourist visas: http://www.mha.nic.in/pdfs/FAQ-TVisa311209.pdf

The first paragraph specifically says that tourist visas are granted to people who are visiting India to meet friends and relatives.

I can also quote you this paragraph, regarding people of Indian decent traveling with tourist visas, from the Indian Immigration website: http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/instructions_foreigners.htm

It says that Indians with tourist visas can return to India within the 2 month gap if pressing family need arises. Clearly it’s not tourism!

“In emergent cases (such as death/illness of close relatives, marriages/other functions in their immediate family, passengers travelling with infants, etc.) involving re-entry of Persons of Indian Origin, on tourist visa, within 60 days, the local FRRO on duty can exercise their discretion in allowing such passengers to enter into the country after getting convinced of the genuineness of their visit.”

Do disregard what the VFS global representative said.

March 11, 2010 at 3:22 am
(65) p says:

I have an indian student visa, multi-entry, and plan to leave India for a week. The new rules just affect the tourist visas, right? Any idea if I’ll have problems coming back to India after a few days abroad? Thanks!

March 12, 2010 at 3:06 am
(66) goindia says:

Hi P, yes that’s right. Tourist visas only. You should be fine with your student visa. :-)

March 12, 2010 at 11:27 pm
(67) Shilpa says:

i Am shilpa i submitted my B1 visa at embassy on 18 Feb 2010 to Italy till now therewas no response from the embassy how can i know the reasons for delaying in stamping

March 26, 2010 at 12:15 am
(68) Stephen says:

Hi there,

On a slightly different topic, what if I just want to be in India for more than the 90 days maximum stay stipulation as per my 6 month visa? I was planning to be in india form mid may to end of august, its a big country after all, does anyone know how i can facilitate this.


March 26, 2010 at 2:08 am
(69) goindia says:

Hi Stephen, this is a difficult one! If your visa says you can only stay for max 90 days at time, then it’s hard to get around it. Perhaps, the best thing that you could do would be to take a short side trip to a neighboring country, apply to get the 2 month gap between visits to India waived, then come back to India and see the remainder before flying home. I can’t think of any other way. Maybe someone else might have some suggestions.

March 27, 2010 at 10:30 pm
(70) Jo-Anne Proulx says:

My husband works in India and is on a 3 year contract. We are Canadian Citizens. We are legally married. My husband has a working Visa. Given the option of expat spousal Visa was not available on the India Visa Application Form in Canada, I am in India on a Tourist Visa. My husband and I are leaving India for a 3 week holiday. Does this new regulation mean that I will not be allowed back into the country. Is there anywhere in India where I could request the “2 month exemption/special request” prior to my departure. Is there somehow a spousal expat visa can be given to a canadian citizen. Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

March 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm
(71) goindia says:

Jo-Anne, that is strange. Spouses of expats who have an Indian employment visa are entitled to an X (Entry) visa for the duration of the spouse’s contract. You apply for this visa separately, after your husband’s visa is approved.

See dot point 12 here: http://in.vfsglobal.ca/faq.aspx

So, in answer to your question, yes you can get an X (Entry) Visa — which is what is provided to spouses. Do go ahead and apply for it outside India. Information about the documents you need to submit with your application is quite scarce on the Canadian website, so I’ve got some information for you from another website:


The main documents needed are your husband’s employment contract and also your marriage certificate.

Hope this helps!

March 28, 2010 at 9:21 am
(72) izaq says:

hi thr,
i was an indian citizen b4, now im british national, is it possible to get a visit visa to india if grandparents are in india with indian nationality.
eagerly waiting for your answer.


March 28, 2010 at 12:02 pm
(73) goindia says:

Izaq, you can get an X (Entry) Visa simply on the basis of you once being an Indian citizen. You are also entitled to a PIO (Person of Indian Origin) card on this basis. :-)

March 29, 2010 at 5:21 am
(74) Lindsey says:

Can anyone help clear this up for me?? i was in India for a month and then went to Thailand for a week and then returned to India after authorisation from the Indian Embassy in Bangkok for re-entry into India within the 2 month period. I did all the correct registration when i arrived in India and also on my departure. I arrived back in the UK on 21st March and need to know when i can apply for a new tourist visa and will my previous registrations affect it!! my current visa expires on 25th May – can i apply for a new visa as soon as it expires??

March 29, 2010 at 7:33 am
(75) goindia says:

Hi Lindsey, glad to hear that you had success gaining re-entry into India within the two month period. As for applying for a new visa, you must wait until one month after your current visa expires. You can apply sooner, but your application will have to be sent to the Ministry of Home Affairs in Delhi for approval. One more thing, even though you can get a new India visa after one month, by all reports you will still need to remain out of India for two months. I don’t see why your previous registration should affect things.

See Section 2 (VI) and Q5: http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/FAQ-TVis.pdf

March 30, 2010 at 10:25 am
(76) Smaeer says:

Im holding Indian Tourist Visa with DOUBLE entry. Last exit from India was Feb 21st 2010. Planning to go again on April 1st 2010. Asked in Sydney and they said that the rule is applied only for the multiple entry and not for double. I even checked the Indian immigration website and says “Foreign national holding Tourist visas with stay stipulation of 180/90 dyas AND WITH MULTIPLE ENTRY facility, there should be a gap of 2 months”.. ex-Indian, currently holding AUS passport and in Singapore now on a vocation.. wat do u think regarding this double entry stuff?

April 1, 2010 at 1:36 am
(77) goindia says:

Smaeer, this is an excellent point that you’ve raised! All documentation relating to the 2 month gap only mentions multiple entry tourist visas. Technically double entry, being more than one entry, is multiple entry… but these are in fact two different types of tourist visas (double entry and multiple entry) as you’ve mentioned. I’d say, give it a go and try your luck! Do let us know what happened.

March 31, 2010 at 8:29 am
(78) pl ny says:

hi, my daughter is 14month old, u.s citizen have 5yrs tourist visa she landed delhi on november 1 2009. now does she need to extend her visa after 6 month stay in india ,can she stay 1 yrs straight in india .or just need to register at FRO.

April 1, 2010 at 1:31 am
(79) goindia says:

Pl ny, actually, she will have to leave India after the 6 months because she has a tourist visa. It’s not possible to stay in India for more than 6 months on a tourist visa, and tourist visas cannot be extended in India. Have a look at the visa and it will probably have an endorsement written on it to the effect that says of 180 days or more are not permitted in India. Are you of Indian origin? If so, she should get an X(entry) visa, which will enable her to stay in India for more than 6 months at a time.

April 6, 2010 at 5:30 am
(80) Lynx says:

I just went to the Empost office which is now in charge of issuing visas in the United Arab Emirates where I am a resident. I wanted a six-month multiple entry visa and they told me that they only issue three-month single entry tourist visas now. Things are going from bad to worse, it would seem. Has anyone else faced a similar problem at other Indian visa issuing offices?

The changes are quite draconian; it’s a real shame.

April 6, 2010 at 7:40 am
(81) goindia says:

Hi Lynx, actually this situation is becoming increasingly common unfortunately. Many European countries can only get three month visas. When I was in Goa recently, someone from Russia told me that only two week tourist visas were now being issued to Russians (I haven’t confirmed that though). It’s really becoming tough. :-(

April 7, 2010 at 7:35 am
(82) Tanmay says:

Hi there. I had some concerns regarding the new policy on re-entry into India for foreign nationals. My wife plans on going to the US from Mumbai and returning within a month. We’re both US citizens and have moved to India from the US for my business reasons. We now reside in Mumbai and even have drivers licenses, a flat, etc… I have an OCI book/passport, however my wife has a Tourist visa but also has a permit booklet registered with the FRRO allowing her to stay in India for a lengthy duration (2 years or 3 I think). Will she be allowed to come back within the 2 month period or will she have to go to an Indian Embassy in the US and try to get a re-entry stamp? Thanks in advance.

April 7, 2010 at 9:55 am
(83) goindia says:

Hi Tanmay, are you sure your wife has a Tourist visa? People with tourist visas can’t be residents/stay in India for more than 180 days at a time. The FRRO doesn’t give those residents permits out to people on Tourist visas as far as I’m aware. Do check her visa and see because I’d be very surprised if it’s a tourist visa. More likely, it’s an X (Entry) visa. You can tell the visa type because tourist visa is marked “TV” and X (Entry) visa is marked “XV”. Do let me know! If it is an X visa, she can come and go as she wishes without any restrictions. :-)

April 7, 2010 at 1:26 pm
(84) Mr Aukland says:

I am a Norwegian citizen who has a tourist visa that expires on 15th of May. I last left India 15th Feb. I wish to go back on 25th May, but this is for a summer school (private not University eg.), so I will apply for Conference Visa which, as mentioned earlier, should go since new rules only apply to Tourist Visa’s. I will report how it goes, but could this be a trick: To join some conference/course like event and get something else than Tourist Visa? Also, at the Indian Embassy in Oslo the info on Entry Visa does not mention having “blood-connection” (NRI etc) with India:

“An entry visa is issued to a person visiting for professional work, meetings, study tours, or longer stay (other than for education, employment, journalism, commercial business or missionary work).”

The combination of beeing a “study tour”, but not for education seems wiered, but also very Indian..

April 8, 2010 at 4:13 am
(85) goindia says:

Hi Mr Aukland, indeed it’s possible to end up VERY confused trying to make sense of the information, because often it just doesn’t make sense! The Entry Visa is particularly elusive. Being of Indian origin or married to an Indian will get you one. But you can also get one for other reasons such as doing volunteer work, doing an unpaid internship, being married to someone who’s in India on an employment visa… or validly coming to India for a reason that doesn’t fit any of the other standard visa categories!! This includes short term courses. I think you should apply for an Entry visa rather than a Conference visa, since you’ll be attending a short course/summer school. Conference visas are suitable if you are visiting India to attend a conference, meeting, or seminar that’s NOT commercial in nature. Since you’re attending a private summer school, I think that makes it commercial in nature.

April 7, 2010 at 10:40 pm
(86) Tanmay says:

Dear GoIndia, thanks for writing. Yes I am certain that she is on a T visa (it says so on the Visa). Additionally, She was issued a “Registration Report & Residential Permit” booklet by the FRRO in Mumbai. In it, there is a hand written note which is signed by the issuing official which states:
“In lieu of T visa no. xxxx issued at…..the condition of each stay not to exceed more than 180 days has been waived” and that she is permitted to stay until Oct 2011. The same is written in her passport and a note is written on her Visa page. Hope this helps. So whats the prognosis doc? Can she come back to India without problems?

April 8, 2010 at 3:49 am
(87) goindia says:

Hi Tanmay, a very interesting situation indeed. I’d like to know how she got that hand written note… but I’m sure it’s another story! :-P I’m not sure that this doc can give you an accurate prognosis….I think you will have to consult a specialist! Perhaps the FRRO. Logically, the 2 month rule shouldn’t apply since she’s a resident but logically she shouldn’t be a resident on a tourist visa. I doubt the provisions of these new rules extend as far as to cover such an unusual situation. Who knows what an immigration officer might say on a whim! He/she may say “fine come in because you’re a resident”, or “no stay out for 2 months because a tourist visa is a tourist visa”! She could solve the problem by getting an X visa or applying for a re-entry permit while she’s out of India — but that’s if there is a problem. I have to admit this is out of my league! :-( Please, do keep me updated about what eventuates.

April 8, 2010 at 8:04 pm
(88) Renata says:

Dear Goindia, I am grateful for all the information found on this site, which throw light on what has just happened to me. I am a Czech citizen and a holder of an Indian 6-month multiple tourist visa. I have just returned from an unsuccessful attempt to enter India for the second time. I didnt observe the the 2-month gap, because I had not been notified about this rule. I managed to get to Instanbul, because the Turkish airlines staff in Prague were not informed well. In Instanbul I was stopped and sent back to Prague. Upon my return to Prague after 35 hours on the way I went directly to the Indian Embassy to clarify what was going on and find a solution to how to get to India (my boyfriend works in India and I would like to be there with him). I was treated in absolutely appalling way (surely one reason being the fact that I was a woman) and left with information that meant I had to remain separated from my boyfriend for an unacceptably long time until I was going to be able to apply for a new Visa again. Later, on the embassy website I find the possibility of applying for the Entry Visa and my boyfriend arranged for all the necessary company docs, so that I was able to apply for X Visa via an agency today in the morning. Do you think that could be any reason why they can refuse granting me this visa? I am not a spouse, only a girlfriend. Can this be a problem? The agency said that it could take 2 weeks before they issue the visa. Do you think it can really take so long if all the submitted docs are in order? And lastly, will they automatically cancel the tourist visa, which are valid till June? Thanx for your comments.

April 9, 2010 at 2:52 am
(89) goindia says:

Hi Renata, I’m so sorry to hear about your ordeal. It’s an appalling example of how badly people have been notified of the new rule. It must’ve been so traumatic for you. In regards to your X Visa, unfortunately there’s a very high chance that they could refuse your application because you’re not married. The X Visa is usually only granted to married spouses. That’s no doubt because India has a dim view of any relationship that isn’t marriage! It’s not like other western countries where engagements, or even live-in relationships, are recognized. The processing time for the X visa varies depending on where you apply. In some places it can be granted in under a week, but it all depends on the Embassy. I wish you the best! Please keep us updated as to what happens.

April 9, 2010 at 3:31 pm
(90) Renata says:

Thank you for your comments. In my boyfriend’s company, there are several cases such as ours, when the guys are in India with their partners, who have X visa and yet are not married. So, I wonder what the Indian officials decide to do in my case after my agitated and useless attempt to discuss my situation at the Embassy and my unanswered e-mail request to let me know what to do. They love to show power, so I guess they will be tempted to do so. I have already spent some time in India, so I have had the opportunity to learn their mentality. They always show their power whenever they have the chance to do so and when they are dealing with someone who is more powerful, they always behave like sycophants. And this happens on all levels of their hierarchical social system. So, the agency applying for my Visa had to assume the role of a sycophant. If I am denied the X visa, I will be the only one in my boyfriend’s company and this will cause panic amongst the others who are in the same situation, because they will soon need their X visa extended. So, let’s see what happens, I will let you know.

April 10, 2010 at 8:42 am
(91) goindia says:

Hi again Renata, unfortunately that frustrating mentality does exist, so does the fact that decisions are made on a whim from person to person — according to position and money. Technically, none of those people in your boyfriend’s company should be in India on X Visas if the rules were followed, but the fact that they are shows that everything is “adjustable”. I really hope that it adjusts in your favor this time! I’m sure the agent will know how to “deal with the situation” to get the desired outcome. ;-)

April 13, 2010 at 4:14 am
(92) Renata says:

My application was declined by the Embassy, bacause I am not a spouse

April 13, 2010 at 5:02 am
(93) Renata says:

I left India 10/03. Which is the earliest day I can enter India again on tourist visa? Is it 10/05 or 11/05? Thank you

April 13, 2010 at 3:27 pm
(94) goindia says:

Hi Renata, oh no, I’m so sorry to hear that. :-( I wonder what will happen to all those other people in a similar situation, on inappropriate X visas, now. I would say 11/5 just to be sure.

April 13, 2010 at 10:35 am
(95) gary says:

Hi, I am a US citizen and have a 10-year tourist visa. I am in India right now.

I would like to visit my friend in Singapore for about 4-5 days. Will I be able to come back to India?

April 14, 2010 at 2:42 am
(96) goindia says:

Hi Gary, it’s very subjective. If you have an onward air ticket out of India and a travel itinerary in India you may be allowed back in. One or two side trips to neighboring countries are supposed to be permitted under the rules.

April 16, 2010 at 4:16 pm
(97) Renata says:

I have some new info. Allegedly, there is a new consul at the Prague Embassy, who will no longer tolerate partners on X-visa if not married. And we were the first case. So, the others will be in trouble now. The company will try to prolong their visas in Mumbai and the potential new employees must be married, ridiculous…
In a way, it is a good news for me, because I don’t think anymore that it was just their whimsical revenge on me and that I have a good chance now to get at least another 6-month tourist visa before my boyfriend will be able to finish with India for good.
To make sure, I have read somewhere that I can apply for a new visa within less than a month after the expiration of the previous one, but it has to be approved of in Delhi. How does that work exactly?
And after I have been granted the new visa, do I still have to wait 2 months to re-enter India? I am not sure how it is meant to be (not sure if the Indian lawmakers are sure themselves ;-) ) . If you leave India the day when the visa expires, wait a month to apply for fresh visa, get it in a week and immediately fly to India, you’ll be there again before the end of the 2-month gap. I would love to hear that with new visa I don’t have to wait 2 months but maybe it’s not the case. Thank you.

April 17, 2010 at 1:34 am
(98) goindia says:

Hi Renata, I’m glad to hear that it’s not a personal thing against you. You can apply for a new tourist visa within a month of your old one expiring, but the application gets sent to the Ministry of Home Affairs in Delhi for approval. The Embassy where you apply will take care of that process. But from all reports, you have to remain out of India for two months anyway, which is silly and doesn’t make sense. Even if you go to all the trouble of getting your visa approved in Delhi, what’s the point if you can’t come back within 2 months?! The whole thing is very confusing, and I agree, I’m not sure if the Indian law makers know themselves or have even thought this through properly.

April 22, 2010 at 2:40 pm
(99) Les says:

Can you give me some advice? I have a 12 month tourist visa for visiting Goa that expires on 12th October 2010 – I have been informed that I cannot apply for a new visa until one calendar month after my old visa has expired which would mean I cannot apply for a new visa until 12th November 2010 – is this correct or can I submit a new application while my old one is still valid?
Any help much appreciated,

April 23, 2010 at 12:28 pm
(100) goindia says:

Hi Les, technically you can apply within a month but your application WILL be sent to the Ministry of Home Affairs in Delhi for review and approval. I think they would only give approval under extenuating circumstances but you can try your luck. They’re not the most efficient there, so it may be more trouble than it’s worth. ;-) Hope this helps!

April 26, 2010 at 12:23 pm
(101) Su says:

I am sri lankan national holding a canadian citizeship. A few months back we finalized our tickets for our vacation to India and then to Sri lanka. We are planning to enter India stay for a week and then fly to Sri lanka and return back to catch our flight to Toronto. as a Sri lanka national I get only single entry visa. At the high commision in Canada, i was told I can apply for a transit visa in Sri Lanka and in CGI in Sri lanka I was told they will not issue a transit visa unless it is for emergencies or specila cases.. It is extremely frustarting that the travel agencies don’t seem to know anything about htse new rules. We could have easliy chnaged our plans. Now we have to change the tickets which is extremely expensive. Has anyone had any experience at the CGI in Sri lanka

April 27, 2010 at 1:47 pm
(102) goindia says:

Hi Su, what is the CGI? Sorry, I don’t know that abbreviation. Have you tried contacting the High Commission in Colombo? They have outsourced their visa processing to VFS Global, so do check with them and see what they say. You should be granted a transit visa. As far as I can see you’re eligible, and that is just nonsense what the CGI is saying. The whole purpose of a transit visa is for transiting at an airport… not emergencies or special cases! The new visa rules apply to multiple entry tourist visas, so that excludes you. Even if the rule did apply, you’re permitted to visit neighboring countries and still be allowed to re-enter India.

Have a look at the following websites:


April 28, 2010 at 7:38 am
(103) Raphaelle says:

Hi, just wondering if you could help me. I’m a British Citizen and applied for a one year multiple entry visa to do some voluntary work in India and get some work experience. I knew I had to leave after 180 days but thought I could just do a quick run over to Sri Lanka. Now that I’m here I’ve just found out about the 2month rule. Does this rule also apply to those on this kind of entry visa? I can’t seem to find information about this anywhere…I’m in India now and not sure whether it’s worth my registering and seeing if they can let me stay over 180 days. Any info would be much appreciated!

April 28, 2010 at 9:55 am
(104) goindia says:

Hi Raphaelle, when you say you have a one year multiple entry visa, you haven’t mentioned what kind of visa it is. Is it an X (Entry) visa? If you’re in India to volunteer for a year, you should have an X (Entry) visa rather than a tourist visa. (You can check what it is on the visa, whether TV for tourist visa or not). If you do have an Entry visa instead of a tourist visa, the new rules don’t apply to you and you’ll be fine. I’m guessing if you have to leave India after 180 days then you must have a tourist visa though? If you have an X visa, you can register yourself and you don’t have to leave after 180 days. If you do have to leave, you can try applying for a re-entry permit. Or if that fails, an X visa. For that, you’ll need a letter from the organisation you’re volunteering with. It should be on company letterhead with their business/NGO/government registration number somewhere on it. They need to request a 6 month Entry visa for you, and state that your work will be unpaid.

April 29, 2010 at 1:13 am
(105) Raphaelle says:

Hi, thanks for that info. I’m on an X (entry) visa, I’m just slightly confused though as on the vfsglobal internet site under visa fees it lists the cost for a one year entry visa but states that there is a maximum of 180 days per visit. http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/visa-fees.aspx

On my visa itself it says ‘registration not required if continuous stay on a single visit does not exceed 180 days’. I’m guessing it means I should just register regardless of the info on the vfsglobal site?

April 29, 2010 at 6:05 am
(106) goindia says:

Hi again Raphaelle, ah, that’s great you’ve got an X visa. Yes, do go ahead and register and you’ll be able to stay in India for the whole year without leaving, no problems. The VFS site is very misleading.

May 5, 2010 at 11:05 am
(107) Jeff says:

I hold a 10 year multiple entry business visa and have been to India for business many times with long stays (up to 10 weeks). I no longer work actively (early retired) for the company nor am associated with the Indian vendor. I have been invited to a colleague’s wedding and want to go. Can I use this visa, or can I get a change of purpose to visit family and friends? What are the options?

May 7, 2010 at 10:37 pm
(108) Harry Andrews says:

My problem is a little different. I was given a 12 month tourist visa which expires middle of October this year (before all this started ) thinking I would renew this October and return the same month. In UK now and what I want to know is – is it possible to re-new before my current visa expires – say in September so I am able to return in October or will I have to wait until middle of November then apply which would possibly make it December when I am able to return to India.
Thank you

May 8, 2010 at 1:33 am
(109) goindia says:

Hi Harry, you can get your visa canceled at the Embassy before it has expired. This will allow you to get a new visa in October.

Hi Jeff, technically you can’t use the business visa for that purpose, but you most likely wouldn’t have a problem gaining entry to India with it. If you want to go by the book and follow the rules, if you’re no longer using the business visa, you should get it canceled and apply for a tourist visa.

May 12, 2010 at 5:09 am
(110) Lee says:

Hello goindia! In the Times of India 2009 12 24 article in which I learned about the new visa regulation requiring a two month absence from India before returning on a Tourist Visa it was stated that this only applied * IF * one had remained in India 90 days or more. The inference was clearly that * IF * one left India before 90 days the requirement that one remain out of India for the two months would * NOT * apply. Is this correct? I have found no other reference anywhere to this TOI reported condition. I was a US citizen living happily in India on my 10 year tourist visa making one-day visa runs every six months. If the “90 days or more” rule applies then one could still make the old-style visa runs even returning on the same day (as I usually did) but now based on a 90-day cycle rather than a 180-day cycle. Is the TOI reference correct? Or is it a mistake, and if a Tourist Visa holder leaves India after ANY length visit re-entry in less than two months is not permitted? (I note special permission for re-entry in less than two months as part of a travel itinerary) Thanks for the help and all the info on this site!

May 13, 2010 at 2:06 am
(111) goindia says:

Hi Lee, you’re welcome, I’m happy to assist! :-) The Indian Ministry of Home Affairs has issued a clarification about the new visa rules, subsequent to that article in the Times. As stated in Section 3, Q 2 of the clarification (refer to link below) the new rules are designed to prevent visa runs like the one you were doing. It is theoretically possible to leave India and come back within 2 months if you visit a neighboring country for the purpose of legitimate tourism. However, you need to provide evidence of legitimate tourism, such as travel all being on the one itinerary, and pre-booked flight out of India and back to your own country. For example. If you’re a tourist visiting India from the US, and you also want to take a side trip to Nepal or Thailand or Sri Lanka, then return to India, travel some more, and catch a flight back the US — then this is possible if you book all the flights on one itinerary as evidence of your travel plans. If you’re a US citizen who’s already in India, and you decide to go to a neighboring country for a few days or a week (visa run), and return to India without any fight booked back to the US, it won’t be possible. You can apply for re-entry to come back to India within 2 months, but a very good reason must be given, such as a family emergency.

So, the 90 day rule doesn’t really exist. It’s a bit more complicated than that. You can’t leave India and come back within 2 months without proving that it’s for tourism to a neighboring country.


Hope this helps!

May 14, 2010 at 5:36 am
(112) Kristina Bergqvist says:

I have been in India two weeks. I have to attend a wedding in my homecountry this coming week and then some important meetings in another country. Then I have to come back to India again for 4 weeks.
I just heard about that this rule may affect my visa. (4months tourist with double entry). So what should I do? Can I also ask for that special permission and where??

May 15, 2010 at 10:46 pm
(113) goindia says:

Hi Kristina, you can apply for a re-entry permit from the local Indian Embassy in your country. Good luck! It’s such a nuisance I know.

May 16, 2010 at 10:14 am
(114) Lee says:

Hello Sharell Cook,

Many thanks for the clarification on the misimpression I got from reading the Times of India article on leaving India in less than 3 months to avoid the be-away-for-at-least-two-months-before-coming-back rule. As you point out, the exception does not apply to any of us who are effectively living in India on our extended period visas most gratefully granted US citizens. We will need to spend on the present rule at least a quarter of our time (two months out of every eight) out of the country. This is most valuable information and permits me to plan accordingly. I note that all efforts to find out the true picture elsewhere had failed. You were the right source and shared generously. Thanks for your time and timely reply! Om shanti!

May 17, 2010 at 7:42 pm
(115) Tristan says:

Hi there,

I have a query about the new rules. I am a British and Swiss passport holder. I am going to India this summer. I will also visit Nepal. I understand from the current regulations, that if I leave India, I can come back before the stipulated 2 month period if I present evidence such as a ticket for an outbound flight. I have a flight leaving on the 10th of September.

However, my work plans for September to December may fall through, in which case I would probably have to return to Nepal to work there. In December I would have to return to India in order to make my way to Istanbul for work and I am hoping to go overland. What visa should I apply for? The bureaucracy seems to have massively overcomplicated things. Why?

May 17, 2010 at 10:48 pm
(116) goindia says:

Hi Tristan, that’s the bureaucracy for you! They like to make things as difficult and as confusing as possible. ;-) The main reason for tightening up the rules is because of people using their tourist visas to live in India and go for visa runs to other nearby countries.

As for your visa problem, I just need to clarify the facts. You’ll enter India as a tourist in the summer, then go to Nepal, after which you will come back to India. Then depending on your work, you’ll either fly home out of India in September, or return to Nepal from India to work until December. Then, you’ll pass through India again, on your way to Istanbul? Is this right?

May 18, 2010 at 7:05 am
(117) Tristan says:

Hi goindia,

Cheers for the speedy reply and yes, you are spot on.

May 19, 2010 at 3:03 am
(118) goindia says:

Hi again Tristan, no problem, happy to help! A 6 month multiple entry tourist visa should cover you. According to the rules you shouldn’t have any issues re-entering India both times, because the first time will have been for tourism to a neighboring country, and the second time you’ll have been out of India for more than 2 months. To ensure you won’t have any problems re-entering India from Nepal the first time, you can apply for a re-entry permit from your local Indian Embassy on the basis of tourism to a neighboring country. The immigration officers do have authority under the rules to let you in without it, but you never know how it will go on the day! You’ll need to provide supporting documents such as itinerary and ticket bookings for Nepal to get the re-entry permit.

May 19, 2010 at 7:20 am
(119) Tristan says:

Awesome! Thanks for all your help, you have saved me a bundle of time!

May 20, 2010 at 4:49 am
(120) Devang says:

Hey there
Just a qucik question, i have been give an entry visa into India, under that how many times can i enter and exit India in the period of one year and do i need to register with someone there after 14days of my arrival?

May 20, 2010 at 7:34 am
(121) goindia says:

Hi Devang, if it’s a multiple entry X visa, you can enter and exit as many times as you want. You only need to register with your local FRRO (Foreigners Regional Registration Office) if you’re going to be in India for more than 6 months (180 days) at a time. :-)

May 24, 2010 at 3:45 pm
(122) M. Raja says:

Hi there,

I recently visited India on a Tourist Visa in May and checked off both Toursim and Business as the purpose of the visit on my immigraiton form (primary visit was for Tourism – visiting my uncle; secondary reason was to meet a colleage for a quick meeting).

Upon departure I got the 2 month stamp on my passport. I have to now go back in June on business. I am in the process of applying for the Business Visa through the Indian Visa outsourcing company. I have all my approval letters and all other paperwork ready to go. Assuming I get the Visa, I am still concerned that Indian Immigration will question my visit back in May and may not let me in. Is this a valid fear? Or because I have a valid Business Vist the Immegration office will have no choice but to honor a valid visa?

Thanks for your help!

May 25, 2010 at 2:08 am
(123) goindia says:

Hi Mr Raja, I can understand your fear because immigration can be a bit temperamental. ;-) However, there shouldn’t be an issue with your new visa — you should be allowed in without any problems.

May 28, 2010 at 1:47 pm
(124) Marisa says:


I have a U.S. student who is participating in an internship program in Sanand, Gujarat. She has a six month, multiple entry tourist visa (valid March 25, 2010 to September 24, 2010). She just arrived May 22nd. She is working with this organization until August 1st when she will travel to Nepal to visit a friend for a week, and will then return to India to until her departure date of August 17th.

She was speaking about these travel plans with a fellow U.S. intern who mentioned this particular “2 month rule”. The other student’s Indian visa (which is supposedly the same as my student’s visa) was stamped with this rule, but my student’s was not stamped with this rule.

Does my student have any options that will enable her to still take this tourist trip to Nepal for a week and then still be able to return to India? Based on some of the answers provided on this forum, I’m hopeful that there are some options.

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!


May 29, 2010 at 2:48 am
(125) goindia says:

Hi Marisa, in reality it actually doesn’t matter whether the tourist visa has that “2 month rule stamp” or not…. people’s experiences have indicated that the rule will be applied the same regardless! :-( The two month rule isn’t applied to tourism to neighboring countries (such as Nepal) though, if the traveler has an itinerary to prove that it’s actually tourism related and they have an onward flight out of India. 2-3 such trips to neighboring countries are permitted under the rules. Immigration officers have authority to allow such travelers back into India within 2 months, if they can show the required documentation. However, if your student wants to be on the safe side, she can apply for a re-entry permit at the Indian Embassy in Nepal. Hope this helps! :-)

June 2, 2010 at 1:17 am
(126) NW says:

Hi –
I was issued a 10 year multiple entry business visa through work on Jan 2009. I worked in India for 3 months last year. I went back to India at the end of April 2010 as a tourist. I plan on going back again at the end of June. Do I need to get a tourist visa or can I keep using my business visa?Also, will the 2 month rule apply to me now that I am not going to India for work? Help please!

June 2, 2010 at 1:31 am
(127) goindia says:

Hi NW, technically you need to travel on a tourist visa since the point of your visit is tourism (although you’d probably still be allowed in on the business visa). Just to clarify, when you visited India in April, what visa did you use? Business or tourist? If it was your business visa, the two month wait won’t apply if you get a tourist visa. However, it will apply to subsequent visits on tourist visas. Hope this helps!

June 2, 2010 at 1:53 am
(128) NW says:

In April I entered on a business visa. Do I need to apply for a tourist visa for my June visit or can I just use my business visa again?

Thanks for the help.

June 3, 2010 at 4:47 am
(129) goindia says:

NW, if you want to follow the rules, you need to apply for a tourist visa. But as with your travel in April, it’s unlikely that you’ll be prevented from entering India on your business visa. It’s up to you what you want to do! :-)

June 2, 2010 at 4:32 am
(130) Devang says:

Hi there,
Just a quick one, i am an Australian Citizen, i have been granted entry visa for one year which is a multiple entry, i want to go to india in december and exit in few days(to east africa) and re entry in few days to go back to perth…will the immigration stop me

June 3, 2010 at 4:50 am
(131) goindia says:

Hi Devang, yes, they probably will unfortunately. How much time do you want to spend in India after your re-entry before heading back to Perth? If it’s 3 days or less you can get a transit visa to cover it.

June 13, 2010 at 10:49 am
(132) james says:

my wife is a British Citizen and we wish to live in India together, however VFS have advised that we have to be married for 5 years until she is eligable for an x visa or pio card. They have advised she can only have a 1 year tourist visa which means she would have to leave every 180 days and wait 2 months before returning to India – Is this really the case? How can we live in this manner?

June 14, 2010 at 2:43 am
(133) goindia says:

Hi James, that certainly is NOT the case at all. I don’t know where they come up with such nonsense from! As long as you can prove you are of Indian origin, she’s eligible for an X visa immediately after marriage, and a PIO card one year after marriage (trust me on this, my husband is Indian and I’ve been through the whole procedure but not in UK. Initially they tried to give me a tourist visa too). ;-)

I’ve located some information about X visa eligibility from the Indian Ministry of Home Affairs website in Delhi (the authority that makes the rules!). I suggest you take it with you to VFS and ask to speak to a superior officer.


Hope this helps! Good luck!

June 14, 2010 at 3:41 am
(134) James says:

Thanks so much, we have been really worried about this, VFS told us several times that this was the case. I really appreciate your help! It’s been difficult to find a straight answer on this one until now!

June 19, 2010 at 4:20 pm
(135) md says:

Hi, I just came back from india on May 29. I am actually planning on studying in school there so in order to stay and study in India I applied for an oci card while I was there. The oci card was taking a while to finish processing so I came to Canada to get my passport renewed as it was gonna expire in a while. My oci card has now been granted in India but I don’t have the sticker because I was in Canada when it got granted,so I will have to go back to India to get my sticker. However I need to go back to India before July 28 because that is when my final admission for the school is. Since i have to go before july 28, it will not have been two months since i’vee been back from india and if I go the consulate general to get speical permission to go, will they give it to me since I’m planning on going back to India now on a vistor visa for studying although I am going to get my oci once I reach India.

June 20, 2010 at 7:44 am
(136) goindia says:

Hi MD, if you go back to India on a visitor’s visa (that’s an X type Entry visa, right?) you won’t have to worry about the 2 month gap at all. It only applies to people traveling on tourist visas. :-)

June 20, 2010 at 7:12 pm
(137) MD says:

when i went to India in march I actualyl went on a tourist visa with multiple entry and my passport has a stamp that says I have to wait for 2 months before I go back, so should I go to my consulate general to get a vistor visa?

June 21, 2010 at 1:34 am
(138) goindia says:

Hi MD — Yes, get a visitors visa to get around the 2 month requirement!

June 21, 2010 at 2:10 pm
(139) MD says:

thank you so much for help, just want last question do you know how long the process of getting my tourist visa cancelled and getting a vistor visa would takee.. thanks again for your help

June 22, 2010 at 12:39 am
(140) goindia says:

Hi MD, you’re welcome. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you the time frame for sure because it will depend on the Embassy where you apply. Generally, it’s possible to get a visitors visa within a week (well, that’s the case where I come from anyway!). :-)

June 23, 2010 at 1:08 pm
(141) mel says:

I applied for a 6 month tourist visa but may have to change my dates of travel to the extent that my new dates (for the same length of time, so not exceeding 6 months at all) go outside the deadline of my current visa by 2 weeks, so I couldn’t simply wait for it to expire and reapply after 2 months. How do the new rules affect me? Would I be able to get a replacement visa and cancel the first?

June 24, 2010 at 12:57 am
(142) goindia says:

Hi Mel, yes you can get your visa canceled and get a new one from your local Embassy. :-)

June 24, 2010 at 8:59 am
(143) Justin says:

Hi… So I am in India right now on a 6 month tourist visa and the visa is up August 8th I have been here since March 14th. Will I be able to fly to Thailand and renew my tourist visa or can I change it from Tourist to employment visa in Thailand ?… Without the 2 month waiting period?
thank you

June 27, 2010 at 5:04 am
(144) goindia says:

Hi Justin,

Yes, you can get an employment visa in Thailand (make sure you have all the required paperwork — have a look at the VFS visa processing website: http://www.ivac-th.com/ )and that would be the preferred solution. Then you won’t have to worry about the waiting period. You’ll have to wait at least one month before applying for another tourist visa otherwise.

June 26, 2010 at 11:43 pm
(145) Vijay Parpia says:


My son is a USA citizen and he has a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa to India which expires on 22nd Jan 2019. Both me and my wife are Indian citizens holding India passport and USA green card. The last time my son visited India was in November 2009. He will be visiting again in July 2010. Can he travel on his 10year multiple entry visa now or do we need to get an entry visa for him?


June 27, 2010 at 4:55 am
(146) goindia says:

Hi Vijay, yes, no problem at all. He can travel on the tourist visa now. He only needs to be out of India for two months at a time between visits.

August 1, 2010 at 12:29 pm
(147) Ani says:

In reference to the Mission/Post you can get the re-entry permission if you are a multiple-entry visa holder and need to re-enter India before expiration of the 2 month rule, does anybody know if one can get permission at the Airport per se? I am flying to delhi, staying 2 days, then out for 9 days, then back again for 2 days before the return flight to the US. Hence it would be very convenient to try and secure the permit before I exit India on the first go around.

thanks in advance for any insights/experiences anyone can share

August 1, 2010 at 12:49 pm
(148) goindia says:

Hi Ani, which country are you flying out to for 9 days?

August 1, 2010 at 6:14 pm
(149) Ani says:

Singapore; I have an email out to the HC at Singapore asking if I can get it done there. Wonder if in Delhi it could be wrapped up on the same day?

August 2, 2010 at 1:11 am
(150) goindia says:

Ani, to save all the fuss, why don’t you just get it done at your local Indian Embassy before you leave home? It would be MUCH less hassle. :-) There isn’t an option at the airport unfortunately.

August 1, 2010 at 11:48 pm
(151) Marisa says:

I am a Canadian applying for a 6 month double entry tourist visa and will be going to India at the end of the month for 3 weeks and then will go to Europe for 2 months and then would like to return to India for the remainder of my visa. For some reason, the consulate is saying that I need to show all my itineraries in order to get a double entry visa…is this normal?? I will be following the 2 month re-entry rule. They seem particularly sticky and have even made me get a new passport saying mine was too ‘damaged’ (which was not even that bad!!). This whole situation just seems ridiculous to me and I only hope I will get everything sorted in the next couple of weeks before I leave…

August 2, 2010 at 1:48 am
(152) goindia says:

Hi Marisa, so sorry to hear that. It is indeed ridiculous. The norm used to be that Multiple entry visas (not double) were issued as standard, with no need to show your itinerary. I can’t speak for Canada but it’s my experience where I come from (Australia). They definitely seem to be overzealous.. :-(

August 2, 2010 at 7:52 am
(153) Milou says:

I am a New Zealand citizen who has been living in the UK. I procured a Double Entry Tourist Visa, as I informed my visa agency that my itinerary was India-Nepal-India. The agency told me that the 2-month gap between visits to India is only for the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa – and that a Double Entry Tourist Visa would be fine for the India-Nepal-India itinerary.

The Indian embassy erroneously issued me with a Multiple Entry Tourist visa. The agency sent my passport back, and the embassy corrected this by cancelling the first one and issuing a Double Entry Tourist Visa. The cancelled Multiple Entry visa has a stamp mentioning the 2-month no-visit rule; the Double Entry visa does not.

I arrived in India a few days ago – the customs man asked me a few questions about my travel plans. On answering these, he said I would need to stay out of India for 2 months in order to come back in again, and stamped a ’2 month’ stamp next to my visa.

- Is he correct? I thought I had covered my bases pretty well by checking numerous times that a Double Entry visa would be okay. Is this a case of an uninformed customs official? My second entry to India (in November) is only for a day or two, and only to catch my flight out of the subcontinent (to Egypt, if that’s relevant).

Any help would be much appreciated, as I would be very angry if after all this I am denied returning to India (only to leave it) after having some serious homework on the matter!

Thanks in advance

August 2, 2010 at 8:35 am
(154) goindia says:

Hi Milou, oh what a nightmare! Actually, just to add to the confusion, to the best of my knowledge, none of the above are entirely correct. In reality, the rule is applied to “all tourist visa holders” (refer to the FAQ from the Ministry of Home Affairs: http://www.mha.nic.in/pdfs/FAQ-TVisa170510.pdf) This includes both double and multiple entry tourist visas. (Double is apparently counted as multiple entry for this purpose). HOWEVER, since you’re going to Nepal (which is classified as neighbouring tourism) you DONT need to stay out for 2 months — so the gap doesn’t apply to you. The conditions are that you have an itinerary and travel documents to show your flights and travel plans. Now, the immigration officers at the airports in India do have the authority to let you back into India if you’ve only traveled to a neighbouring country (such as Nepal). (Refer Section 3 I and II on the FAQ). But, in practice, they don’t always do that! You can take the chance that they will let you in. Otherwise, you can apply for a re-entry permit in Kathmandu. (Which again may or may not be a straight forward process). If I were you, I’d take the chance…. because it is most certainly legitimate. Print out a copy of the FAQ as back up in case you’re questioned by anyone. And make sure you have an itinerary and tickets pre-booked to substantiate your travel plans. Hope this helps!

August 2, 2010 at 11:06 am
(155) Ani says:

Ah well, I leave tomorrow so don’t have time to get the permit in time. I’ll just have to try the Sing HC or then reroute my return. What a pain-in-the-@#% … Wonder what the logic is behind the rule. They cite “abuse”, but isn’t a multiple entry visa supposed to grant the holder multiple entries??

August 3, 2010 at 5:40 am
(156) goindia says:

Ani, unfortunately, like a lot of things in India, it doesn’t make sense. There isn’t much logic to it at all. Fair enough if they want people to stay out of India for 2 months after every 6 months (so they can’t readily do visa runs and live here), but I have no idea why they want to penalize people with valid multiple entry visas of durations of six months or less.

August 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm
(157) Marisa says:

This is all so frustrating!! I originally planned to volunteer in India for about 7 months and had gotten what I thought were all the required letters. I must have called the call centre about 20 times, only to hear different things from everyone. One thing in general though was that I needed an invitation letter with my volunteer position’s information. They also said that I can bring a letter from the government saying that this organization needs volunteers, but only if there was one (“if any” they kept saying). I took this as optional and since I am pressed for time now, did not want to go through all the Indian bureauracy to get this. Once I went to the consulate, the woman told me immediately that volunteer ‘x’ visas are VERY difficult to get and this ‘optional’ letter is actually required. She then told me to just apply for a tourist visa. Is this normal for getting a volunteer visa? Is it really that difficult??

I have a feeling this woman has something against me or something! Especially with saying my passport is too ‘damaged’ (even though I have received several other visas in it, including an Indian one since it was ‘damaged’). I just can’t believe this is happening. I just want to visit my boyfriend there whom I haven’t seen in over a year and my flights are already booked. It is really a shame that there are so many barriers around getting a visa there when it is for legitimate reasons. I’ll just keep my fingers crossed that I get a double entry tourist visa at least. :(

August 3, 2010 at 7:59 am
(158) goindia says:

Hi Marisa, ah it is sooooo frustrating. Especially the lack of clearly defined document requirements. There is ALWAYS something they don’t tell you, or you find out not to be the case when you apply. I don’t know much about Volunteer visas, having never applied for one myself. I suspect that the situation varies according to country, Embassy and person though. Hopefully you do get that double entry visa!

August 12, 2010 at 12:36 pm
(159) avinash sudhakaran says:

thankyou for reply .but please suggest a way through which she can come to india for 6 months.is applying for business visa very difficult and expensive?can’t she come here to work or study(yoga e.g,)?please suggest a way

August 13, 2010 at 4:07 am
(160) goindia says:

cant she come here to work or study(yoga e.g,)?please suggest a way

Hi Avinash — she can come here to study yoga at an approved institution (yoga visa), and also volunteer at an approved organisation (employment visa).

August 18, 2010 at 6:51 pm
(161) Vicky says:

I’ve just returned from goa a week ago, I was there from 31st of may to 12th august. I want to go back in december to spend christmas over there, but my current visa doesn’t expire until november. Do I have to wait 2 months from when I return to get my new visa, or is it 2 months from when my current visa expires?

August 19, 2010 at 12:04 pm
(162) goindia says:

Hi Vicky, it’s 2 months between visits to India. But you have to wait for 1 month after the expiry of your visa before applying for a new one. If this is going to be an issue for you, try and get your current visa canceled at the Embassy.

August 22, 2010 at 10:56 pm
(163) TJ says:

Hello, i am a us citizen and have a 10 years multiple visa for india. i am planing to go visit india in Oct 2010 and stay there for about 4 months. During that time i plan to go visit bangkok, Thailand with friends for 4-5 days. if i make that trip will i be able to re-enter india? Should i get any paperwork done before i leave USA?

August 24, 2010 at 10:12 am
(164) goindia says:

Hi TJ, you can apply for a re-enty permit from your local Indian embassy if you have an itinerary stating your travel plans. You should have no trouble getting re-entry permission on the basis of tourism to a neighboring country.

August 26, 2010 at 1:16 am
(165) Sara says:

Hi GoIndia,
Recently I have applied for a 6 month multi entry visa and was denied. Basically, I have found a yoga school I want to study with and registered with them, booked my flights, etc…gave all my paperwork to the embassy in China (I am a US citizen but living here) and was called that it has been denied because the school is not registered with the Indian Government. But the school is very much legit and well known. I gave them EVERYTHING..invitation letter, detailed itinerarys, email correspondence, etc. I don’t know what to do. I tried asking for a yoga visa but there was none and they urged me to apply for a tourist visa, to which i was denied. What are my options? I am really freaking out because this is all planned out and everything. Any advice you can give me would be very much appreciated. I want to visit ‘Incredible India’! :( (this does not accurately represent how badly I feel at the moment)

August 26, 2010 at 2:42 am
(166) goindia says:

Hi Sara, you must be feeling absolutely dreadful and so stressed out. :-( Just so I understand the situation, you applied for a tourist visa on the basis of studying yoga? And it was denied? If so, why don’t you try applying for a 6 month tourist visa on the basis of simple tourism? Surely, you can’t be denied that. US citizens are entitled to 6 month tourist visas to India, aren’t they? As for the yoga visa — it’s actually a student visa endorsed for studying yoga — there is no separate yoga visa. However, if the yoga school that your planning on studying with isn’t registered with the Indian government, it’s unlikely that you’ll be granted this type of visa. As a last resort, you could demand that the school refund your fees, book with a registered yoga school, and apply for a student yoga visa for that school. I’m so sorry to hear that you’re going through all this.

August 26, 2010 at 5:43 am
(167) Sara says:

Thank you for your response.
You are correct. At the Indian consulate in Shanghai, they have never heard of a yoga visa and I can’t apply for a student visa because I am not enrolled in a school. So they said my only option was to apply for a tourist. The school is absolutely registered with the Indian gov’t and American alliance. I wasn’t clear what the problem was but the man I spoke with kept saying it wasn’t on the list, it wasn’t on the list. My school has said that is weird and they have had many foreign students come with no problems. If I show the embassy a copy of a previous students visa(with the name of the school), would that work? Also, would they grant me a 6 month tourist visa after I just applied for it before and got rejected, without showing that I will be at this yoga school? Thank you for your help! I determined to get a visa one way or another..

August 31, 2010 at 8:56 pm
(168) AS says:

If a foreign national owns a flat in India (for many years) and wants to continue living there and has enough money to support himself without working (senior citizen) is there a visa that will allow this without the 6 month re-entry/2 month gap problem. Previously, life was lived there on a ten year tourist visa with brief vists to Sri Lanka every 6 months. We wish to follow the laws just uncertain about what is the best and most economical path. Home IS India.

September 1, 2010 at 4:35 am
(169) goindia says:

Hi AS, unlike some countries, unfortunately India doesn’t have any such visas for people who wish to retire here. And to make matters worse, the government has tightened visa eligibility for other categories of visas (apart from tourist visas) too. Previously, if you held property here, you MAY have been eligible for an X visa but now these visas are only issued to persons of India origin, their spouses, or spouses and children of people here on employment visas or business visas. The bottom line is that India doesn’t want people to come and live here. :-( The only option is to perhaps set up a business and get a business visa. Or volunteer at an NGO and get an employment visa.

You could try asking the question on the IndiaMike.com forums to see if there are any suggestions/ ways around it:

October 3, 2010 at 9:33 pm
(170) Sarah says:


I have a SINGLE entry tourist visa that expires on the 28th October 2010. Unfortunately due to an oversight on my part I am only entering India on the 9th October as I had planned on leaving India to enter Nepal and obtain a second tourist visa while in Nepal. However I am only learning about the “new rules” now!

Does anyone know if it will be possible under the new rules for me to go to Nepal and obtain a new single entry visa and return to India within a month. All the information seems to refer to multiple entry visas. I will only be in India for 19 days on my current visa and will only want to return for a further 2 weeks after my visit to Nepal.

Any information greatly appreciated!


October 4, 2010 at 4:08 am
(171) goindia says:

Hi Sarah, I believe that you will still have to wait for a month to apply for a new visa as per Section 2 V of this FAQ.


Nepal has become quite strict about re-issuing back to back tourist visas, so I think you’ll definitely have to wait. You might want to check the http://www.indiamike.com forums and see if there’s more information there.

October 23, 2010 at 2:13 pm
(172) Blair says:

Help! I am in India RIGHT NOW on a multiple entry visa and, dummy that I am, I had never heard of the two month reentry restriction until I came through immigration and got the ‘no reeentry’ stamp. I’ve got further travel scheduled to Sri Lanka, Malaysia, China, Nepal and then back into India (over the course of about 2.5 wks), I had planned to be in India for four days before my flight leaves out of Mumbai. I have flights already booked from Nepal into India and out of India. Will I be able to get a rentry permit in Nepal while I’m there? What exactly consitutes an ‘intinerary’? Do I need to show anything other than my preexisting plans to fly from Nepal->India and India->USA?

October 25, 2010 at 5:20 am
(173) goindia says:

Hi Blair, oh no! An itinerary is a print out of your flights and hotels… you would need to show your flights to the neighboring countries as well as back home to the US. Immigrations officers at Indian airports do have authority to allow you back into India without the reentry permit in case of tourism to neighbouring countries, but you can apply for the reentry permit in Nepal (Kathmandu) just to be safe. I’ve heard varying stories about people’s success in getting it there. If you have any problems, and don’t want to risk trying to come back without the reentry permit, you can try getting a transit visa for India (from Nepal) if you’re going to remain in India for 72 hours or less. This might mean you having to come back to India from Nepal a day or two later, but it is an option if all else fails.

October 27, 2010 at 4:56 am
(174) jheris says:

Im a filipino citizen residing here in dubai and i have an indian girlfriend,we are planning that ill be going to india by february 2011. but as of now i still dont have any idea what do i need to obtain to enter india,or what kind of visa do i need to go there.and will the time be enough for me to obtain my indian tourist visa until february 2011 comes?

thanks ^_^

October 29, 2010 at 6:34 am
(175) goindia says:

Hi Jheris, you’ll need to get a Tourist Visa. Here is the website where you can apply in Dubai: http://www.ipavsc.com/

It should also have all the information you need about applying. Usually the visa should only take a week or two to be processed, so you have plenty of time.

Happy travels. :-)

October 29, 2010 at 10:04 am
(176) Blair says:

Thanks goindia!

I left India today and the immigration officer claimed I would be able to reenter the country by presenting my outbound itinerary (which I did for him). Hopefully this works! But just in case, I double booked a second flight to India which I can use on a transit visa to make my outbound flight. [crosses fingers!!!]


October 29, 2010 at 2:04 pm
(177) goindia says:

Hey Blair, you’re welcome! :-) It sounds like good news but you never can be too sure, it depends on who you get on the day unfortunately. But I’m feeling positive for you. Do let us know how you get on.

November 2, 2010 at 7:27 am
(178) Tony says:

Hi GoIndia, I had to make a quick visit to India from the states recently for my brother’s unexpected death and funeral. Now our family wishes to visit Israel (for 10 days ) and return to India before I leave back to the states next month. I have a multiple entry tourist visa valid for 10 years expiring only by 2014.

However I heard about this whole 2 month gap between visits to India. I’m currently still in India and I was wondering how to request the special permission from the mission/embassy I read about earlier and wondering if thats possible from right here in India. If you know anything I can/should do so that our family can all visit Israel and get back without any complications, please let me know thanks!

November 3, 2010 at 2:46 am
(179) goindia says:

Hi Tony, that’s really unfortunate about the circumstances of your visit, very sorry to hear. My condolences to you and your family. As far as I’m aware the re entry permission has to be requested before you enter India — from Indian embassies abroad. If there’s any exceptions, the Ministry of Home Affairs (Foreigners Division) in Delhi would be the place to inquire. Otherwise the permit should be obtained from the Indian Embassy in Israel. Make sure you have a copy of your itinerary/flight details to show your plans to fly out of India, and any evidence to prove your brother’s death. Sorry, it’s a real nuisance, I know. Wish you the best!

November 3, 2010 at 3:01 am
(180) Tony says:

Thanks GoIndia appreciate it. I see that your saying that I should request permission from the Indian Embassy in Israel. However I also came across this one site that says that if that can’t be done, I would also be able to get a special permission from any immigration officer in any immigration desk upon entry back into India. I read this information from the following link :


Could you please let me know if you know whether or not this site is reliable and if the exempts given in the answer for Q:2 toward the end of the first page and into the second, is legit?

November 3, 2010 at 9:22 am
(181) goindia says:

Hi Tony, yes it is reliable. It’s the official information of the Indian government. And the information/exempts that you refer to are also legit. BUT the question is, what is neighboring country tourism. Nepal, Thailand, and Sri Lanka are usually classed as India’s neighboring countries…not Israel. It is very subjective. If you were going to any of those 3 countries, and had an itinerary showing all your flights etc, then I would say that the Immigration officers do have discretion to let you back into India without a re entry permit. I can’t say with any certainty how they will view a trip to Israel though. I would be inclined to say make sure you get a re entry permit from the Israel Embassy. The Indiamike.com forum is usually a great source of information, so you might want to sign up and ask your question there. Someone might be able to give you a more definitive answer. Otherwise, try asking the Ministry of Home Affairs, who are responsible for making the rules. :-(

November 4, 2010 at 11:54 pm
(182) Rohit says:

Hi I am a US born citizen whose parents immigrated from India. In the past when I have visited India I have always used a tourist visa.

I was surprise to find note on the travisa site that the section on tourist visa indicates that persons of Indian origin (defined as parents or grandparents born in India) and their spouse and children must apply for an entry visa which is more expensive.

Is this true?

November 5, 2010 at 9:15 am
(183) goindia says:

Hi Rohit, it is true. Tourist visas have new restrictions and now require a 2 month gap between visits to India. This has inconvenienced a lot of people of Indian origin who travel to India frequently on tourist visas. Hence, these people are now being instructed to apply for X visas, as these visas do not have the restrictions. Blame the Indian government rules! :-(

November 5, 2010 at 2:36 pm
(184) Rohit says:

Thanks for the info. The requirements for my “non Indian spouse” state that in addition to marriage certificate, she must have a “copy of spouses Indian passport, or naturalization certificate that shows previous nationality is Indian.” I have neither of these since I am a US born citizen.

Seems like they have an inconsitency between this requirement and their definition of a person of Indian Origin. Any advice?

November 6, 2010 at 2:32 am
(185) goindia says:

Hi Rohit, a bit confusing for sure. How will you then prove you’re of Indian origin to apply for the X visa? Parent’s birth certificates or old Indian passports? I’m assuming your wife could provide the same information as you to validate your Indian identity. Indian departments aren’t known for their consistency unfortunately. It’s best to direct your question to the Embassy concerned, so they can tell you exactly what is needed. Do let me know what happens!

November 6, 2010 at 6:39 pm
(186) Rohit says:

This what I found out by calling travisa ( the information on their website concerning my wife is incorrect)

I need:
(1) Copy of marriage certificate for my wife
(2) Copy of my birth certificate
(3) Copy of one of the following from one of my parents
(a) Certificate of Naturalization
(b) Any Indian passport (can be old/not current): 1st 3 pages and last 2 pages

My son needs copy of his birth certificate, then (2) and (3) above.

The person was helpful. He also said to look on the bright side: at least my future grandson wont have to go through this hassle since he wont be considered of Indian origin.

The multiple ironies of this situation would be funny if it didnt create the hassles it does.

I have to go through the trouble of proving I am of Indian origin so I can be treated worse than someone on non-Indian origin (they could simply get a tourist visa as a US citizen).

India is discriminating against me because I am of Indian heritage.

India is spending a lot of money promoting tourism from the US yet making it harder to visit.

Unfortunately, getting all the documentation in a timely fashion is not easy as my parents are elderly and may have trouble finding the old documents ( my father moved to the US in the 1950′s). I may have to find somewhere else to go for my short holiday visit.

November 7, 2010 at 6:45 am
(187) goindia says:

Hi Rohit, I agree, it’s completely absurd. Just goes to show, you can run but you can never hide from Indian bureaucracy! :-( I’m not surprised that the information on the website was wrong. There usually are discrepancies between what they state and what’s actually the case. I’ve been through it all… my husband is Indian and I have a PIO card. At least he lives in India and has an Indian passport, so it wasn’t too bad. But still. Is there any chance that they will give you and your family a tourist visa if you can’t get your documentation together? Surely they must!!

November 18, 2010 at 6:26 am
(188) Sarah says:

Interesting thread! I hope you have advice for my case as well.
I live in Belgium and am holding a 6 months business visa expiring end of February 2011.
I have to go on a business trip to India in January 2011.
I am also going to India as a tourist from 27th Feb to 8th March 2011.
1. Can I apply for tourist visa in February 2011, while my business visa is not expired yet?
2.If not possible, can I apply for a business visa in February 2011, while my previous visa is not expired yet?
3. Can I enter India on 27th Feb with a tourist visa, only 1 month after my business trip to India?
Thanks in advance.

November 18, 2010 at 9:15 am
(189) goindia says:

Hi Sarah, yes you can apply for your tourist visa in Feb. Your existing business visa will be canceled under these circumstances. Yes, it’s also possible to enter India on a tourist visa only one month after your business trip. Business visas don’t have the same restrictions as tourist visas. ie. you don’t have to stay out of India for two months after visiting for business purposes. The two month gap between visits only applies to all travel on tourist visas. Happy travels! :-)

November 19, 2010 at 2:16 pm
(190) pratap says:

I am a Person of Indian Origin and a naturalized US citizen. I have a valid 10 year multiple entry India Tourist Visa expiring in 2018. How do I transfer my India Visa from my expired US passport to my current renewed US passport

November 20, 2010 at 3:24 am
(191) goindia says:

Hi Pratap, you can get that done at your local Indian embassy in the US.

November 20, 2010 at 9:46 am
(192) Kiko says:

Hi, I’m Spanish, I have a one year tourist visa which says that I can’t stay in India for a period longer than 90 days and that after leaving the country, I have to spend at least 60 days in a foreign country before re-entry again. So I have three questions.
1.- Is there any way for me to stay in India for the hole period of the visa without leaving the country?.
2.- If after 90 days in India a visit a neighboring country (as Nepal, Sri LanKa or Bangladesh) should I wait for 60 days before re-entering the country or may I come back earlier. If so, when?.
3.- If, while having a tourist visa I receive an offer for working as a volunteer in a NGO (I am anthropologist), may I change the type of my visa and stay here. If so, how?.
Thank a lot for the information.

November 21, 2010 at 6:08 am
(193) goindia says:

Hi Kiko,

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) No, you must leave after 90 days if it says so on your visa.
2) If you travel to a neigbouring country, you can re enter before the 2 months if you can show that your travel is for tourism purposes. You need to show an itinerary with fights and hotels etc., as well as your flight out back home of India. I guess you can come back to India when ever seems reasonable. There’s no set time frame. It will need to look like you are visiting a neighbouring country for tourism though.
3) It’s not possible to convert your tourist visa to another type of visa in India under those circumstances. You’ll need an employment visa (specified for voluntary purposes) to work at an NGO. That can only be obtained in your home country (Spain).

Hope that helps!

November 26, 2010 at 11:54 am
(194) Natalie says:

Hi GoIndia,

I am travelling to India next January and plan to stay a week there before moving onto Malaysia and Singapore before returning back to India 2 weeks later.

Originally my husband and I applied for a double entry tourist visa as advised by the VFS Office. Unfortunately they issued me a single entry while my husband was issued a double entry visa. We went to the Indian consulate in Toronto and they amended my visa by striking out the words ‘Single’ and writing ‘Double’ above it. It was signed by the consulate general.

Will this suffice as a valid visa change? Also under this new rule of not being able to re-enter India within 60 days, will the double entry tourist visa suffice?

I seem to be getting told different things from the VFS office but when I asked at the Indian consulate they said there should be no issue re-entering India.

Is there anything I should do when I arrive in India to prevent being refused re-entry?

Many thanks,


November 26, 2010 at 11:32 pm
(195) goindia says:

Hi Natalie, yes, it is very confusing. Everyone has a different opinion. :-( Tourism to neighboring countries is a legitimate reason to leave India and come back with in the two months. In order to be allowed entry you need to prove that you were traveling for tourism and that you need to come back to India on you way home. So you’ll need to provide copy of your itinerary, hotels etc. And onward flight out of India. Regarding the visa change, it should be okay since it’s been signed. If you’re really worried about not being granted re-entry to India, you can apply for a re-entry permit in advance from your local Indian embassy/VFS. It will be affixed to your passport. Good luck! :-)

November 29, 2010 at 12:43 am
(196) Mary says:

I have a question. You said an entry visa to India is given only to an ex-indian citizen or the spouse. My daughter is american and my son-in-law is Indian. They plan to go live in India. Does that mean I can’t ever go live there with them? Do I have to only visit with a tourist visa?

November 29, 2010 at 10:38 am
(197) goindia says:

Hi Mary, that’s a really interesting question! Unfortunately, I think your only option is a tourist visa. To get confirmation of this you could also ask the question over at the http://www.indiamike.com forum. There are some very knowledgeable people there.

November 30, 2010 at 8:44 am
(198) Natalie says:

Hi Go India,

Many thanks for clarifying. When I went to the consulate to get my visa changed, we did enquire whether we needed to submit a special permit for the re-entry stamp but they told us it was not necessary.

Should I be presenting our itinerary (flights, hotel bookings etc) to prove that we are visiting neighbouring countries upon my first entry into India or when I re-enter on my way back?

Many thanks,


November 30, 2010 at 9:50 am
(199) goindia says:

Hi Natalie, you would only need to show the itinerary on your re-entry on the way back.

December 2, 2010 at 12:53 pm
(200) Linda says:

Hi, your thoughts have been very helpful. I was hoping to fly into India on a multiple entry 6 month visa, stay about a week, travel by bus to friends in Nepal, trek in the mountains with my friends, then return by bus to India about 6 weeks later, then fly out of India about 2 weeks later after doing some touring there. Will this work with the new rules? Thanks.

December 3, 2010 at 2:34 am
(201) goindia says:

Hi Linda, you’ll be fine since Nepal is a neighboring country. Just make sure you carry a copy of your itinerary and flight details out of India. :-)

December 8, 2010 at 9:59 am
(202) Discriminated says:

I am an ex Indian national, now a US citizen. It is extremely disappointing and unfortunate that India chooses to charge more money for visa (twice as much) for half the duration to ex Indian nationals vs. US nationals???
Ex Indian nationals can’t get tourist visas either???
In addition to the steep “passport cancellation fee”, $40 to get a new Indian passport, but $175 to cancel a passport, give me a break!
I won’t be going to the ****** country ever again, the socialist/communist Congress government can kiss my @ss!

December 13, 2010 at 3:53 pm
(203) catarina says:

Hi there. Goindia, you have been so helpful on here. I’m about to leave on a trip to India this weekend volunteering, returning to Canada on Jan 30. My plan is to return to India as a tourist on March 12 for a wedding.

Is there any way I could get around this 2-month gap problem? For example, can I get the first visa as a business one, and the second one a tourist one?

Is there anything I can do??

December 14, 2010 at 10:48 am
(204) goindia says:

Hi Catarina, you’re welcome. If you’re leaving this weekend have you got your visa yet? There is very little time left! You should definitely get a tourist visa (not enough time to get a business visa, plus it’s not the right type of visa) but also apply for a re-entry permit. Indicate that you’ve been invited back to India for a wedding (and provide a copy of the invitation if you can). Just explain to them your reason why you’re wanting to re-enter within 2 months and they should be understanding. The 2 month rule is directed at keeping out people who want to live in India on tourist visas, and also those going for visa runs. You reason for coming back is legitimate, so hopefully the Embassy will be understanding.

December 14, 2010 at 1:51 pm
(205) catarina says:

Thank you, that is very encouraging!
I do leave this weekend, but to Thailand. (India not until the New Year). So I was going to get my India visa in Bangkok. This is ok to do, right? Do you know what the turnover is, generally?

As for indicating about the wedding, at which point do I do that? When applying for the initial visa? Or when I am home again between trips? I’m just not sure when or how to apply for the re-entry permit. (But I agree that is a great idea!!)

Any thoughts/tips?

December 15, 2010 at 5:34 am
(206) goindia says:

It’s always best to apply in your own country but you can get an Indian visa in Thailand. The turn around time is usually around a week I believe, although no specific time frame is given on their website for non-Thai nationals or non-residents: http://www.ivac-th.com/

There is some new information posted on the website though: http://www.ivac-th.com/news.html

26/11/2010 With effect from 29th November 2010 onwards, Embassy of India, Bangkok will normally issue Tourist visas for Single Entry valid for 3 months:

Given this, if they only grant you a single entry visa, you’ll have to apply for your another visa back home. Hopefully, they’ll approve it on the basis of your wedding plan, but there can’t be any guarantees unfortunately.

December 15, 2010 at 10:58 am
(207) catarina says:

oh dear. thank you for alerting me to this! if i get a one-time visa, are they likely to give me another visa when i’m home?

also, i just saw that the visa application in bangkok is now online. do you know anything about this?

December 16, 2010 at 12:42 am
(208) goindia says:

There are no guarantees about getting another visa (all circumstances are different), but it doesn’t hurt to try, especially in the case of a wedding. :-)

Unfortunately, I don’t have any experience with the online application process. Perhaps check the http://www.indiamike.com forums. They have lots of information there. I think it will be fairly straightforward though. Fill in the form, then submit documents when you go to the visa processing center.

December 24, 2010 at 10:22 am
(209) Mary says:

Hi dear Goindia,
I am a girl from iran and engaged to an indian boy … he visted my country soem monthes back to go through the official process. the process was done and after some monthes, we got the permission for marriage from gov. now we are planning for wedding on Feb last. but there is one problem. he will come only 1 week before wedding and after we get the marriage certificate and get it translated, we have maximum 1 week to stay here. and as far as i could know, the X type visa may take longer time to be granted. yet, i was thinking about going with him on tourist visa and then apply for the official processes in india. but as i see here, the tourist visa cant be converted to any other kind and then i will have to be back after 3 months n then wait for 2 months here in my country … what is ur suggestion for us? i am almost puzzled … if i have the marriage certificate, cant i apply for PIO or X visa or any kind of long term or permenant visa after I enter india?

December 25, 2010 at 5:58 pm
(210) goindia says:

Hi Mary, yes you can go to India and marry him on a tourist visa. It’s possible to convert a tourist visa to an X visa in India on the basis of marriage but you will need to go to the Ministry of Home Affairs (Foreigner’s Division) in Delhi to start the process. They will give you an extension of your tourist visa until the process is complete. :-)

February 13, 2011 at 7:42 pm
(211) Eddie says:


My girlfriend has a 6 month tourist visa and has been in India since Jan 19th, 2011. Her original itinerary has her returning from New Delhi back to the U.S. on May 2nd, 2011.

Here is the confusion:
She is planning on changing her original itinerary and adding a 2 week trip to visit Bali, Indonesia. She would then fly back to New Delhi from Bali and take her original flight back to the U.S. scheduled for May 2nd, 2011. This will technically break the 2 month gap rule as her return to India will be in about 2 weeks.

Her intent to return to New Delhi is ONLY to catch her original flight back home. She will NOT be leaving the airport or staying in New Delhi.

In this type of situation, would her proof of return (ticket from New Delhi to U.S.) be sufficient to be allowed re-entry into India?

OR, would a trip to the FRRO in New Delhi be recommended so that she can get approval from them before leaving India for the Indonesia trip?

Please advise.


February 13, 2011 at 10:42 pm
(212) goindia says:

Hi Eddie, she should be allowed re-entry to catch her flight. Make sure she has detailed itinerary and flight details with her.

February 22, 2011 at 4:21 am
(213) India in April says:

I need help. I am from the Philippines and will be traveling to India in April. I cannot find the answer online. Do I need ‘proof of funds’ to get a visa approved? I only have return tickets and not hotel bookings because I intend to go around Mumbai and maybe sleep over with some friends in between hostels. I am getting worried, do I need conformation documents from hotel for the Visa or are the return tickets enough? Please help.

February 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm
(214) goindia says:

Hi India in April, no you don’t need proof of funds for a tourist visa for India. Please don’t worry. No confirmation from hotels is needed either. :-)

February 25, 2011 at 8:10 pm
(215) suhas bhat says:

hello i am us citizen and my wife and two kids too. i will be travelling to india on june 4 th and will be in us on july 4th 2011 from bangalore mean time we are planning to visit dubai for six days from june 23 rd to 29 th 2011 my us visa is mutiple type x valid for five years my wife and kids are 10 years mutiple t type will there be problem travelling to dubai.please advice

March 19, 2011 at 1:10 am
(216) leela krishna says:

hey..my passport expiry date is still 5 months more..can i now attend for visa to usa

March 26, 2011 at 9:43 pm
(217) Question says:

I thought I want to clarify what I understood from reading all the postings:

I already bought a RT ticket to Delhi from the US for a vacation, and now I am thinking about visiting Nepal for a week from Delhi within this given vacation time. In this case, I am not required to have the special permit if I can present the immigration guys with my itinerary that indicates my flight back to the US. Am I right?

But do you think it is risky for me to travel to Nepal when India have a rule that is inconsistently applied? (My understanding is that every immigration officer execute the rule differently?)

Please let me know!

March 27, 2011 at 2:58 am
(218) goindia says:

Hi Question, yes, you understand correct what you’ve read. I think you should take the trip to Nepal. The rule has been around for a while now, so it is being applied more consistently. If you are really concerned, take a print out of the FAQ of the Ministry of Home Affairs with you, and present it at immigration if you encounter any issues.


March 30, 2011 at 9:24 pm
(219) Smita says:


I was wondering about this two month rule. My mother who is Indian National, but holding a green card, resides in US. Her and my father just returned from India on Mar 3, 2011. Unfortunately, my father passed away on Mar 20 and we need to return to India at the end of April for his last rites. Do you think this rule applies to her? Any information will be helpful?

March 31, 2011 at 3:05 am
(220) goindia says:

Hi Smita, I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. :-( If she has a tourist visa, yes, the rule does apply to her. However, given the circumstances, she can apply for an exemption in the form of a re-entry permit. This can be done at the Indian Embassy where she got her visa in the US. It should be granted without any issues. Alternatively, if your mother holds an X visa, the rule doesn’t apply. She can also get an X visa and then will be allowed back into India within the two months, as another option.

April 9, 2011 at 8:29 pm
(221) Jude says:

Hi Sharell,

Me and my family would like to have my girl friend visit India from the Philippines. I have already booked her round trip air ticket for a 3month stay in India. I had checked on the Indian Embassy website for all requirements for a tourist visa and they have mentioned 6month passport expiry, photo’s and round trip ticket. But in the visa application form in the 2nd page towards the right center they have mentioned tourist visa requirements need a bank statement, sponsor letter etc. This wasn’t there earlier when I visited the website a few months ago. So kindly suggest if you have any idea about this new requirement implemented in the Philippines by the Indian Embassy.
Thanks in advance and looking forward for your reply asap.


April 10, 2011 at 10:09 am
(222) goindia says:

Hi Jude, the requirement is no doubt to ensure that the visa applicant has enough funds to support herself in India, since the Philippines is a poor country and more and more girls are coming to India for a “better life”. It’s best you get in touch with the Indian Embassy there to find out exactly what the visa application procedure is now. Best of luck!

April 12, 2011 at 2:43 am
(223) Elizabeth says:

Hi Goindia,

Apologies if my question has been asked and answered already, but I didn’t see it when I scanned the questions. I have been granted a six month multiple entry visa for India. I submitted a very rough itinerary with my application, and the visa officers did let me know that I would need to wait 60 days between leaving and re-entering, so that seemed very clear. However, on my visa they’ve written “multiple entry within 60 days authorised as per itinerary submitted to consulate”. I may be reading this wrong, but does this mean they’ve waived the 60 day rule?

Many thanks,

April 13, 2011 at 7:26 am
(224) goindia says:

Hi Elizabeth, yes I think it does mean they’ve waived the rule. Lucky you! :-) I do know of some other people who have had it happen too. I think it all depends where you apply. Make sure you travel with your itinerary to support it though. Happy travels.

April 28, 2011 at 5:38 am
(225) Emily says:

Hi Goindia,

I’m traveling to India in July and going to book my flights return from Delhi, but would like to visit Nepal. Will this be a problem with the new visa regulations if we only leave and come back into India once? I’m considering flying out from Delhi sometime in october.

May 1, 2011 at 2:50 am
(226) goindia says:

Hi Emily,

No, it won’t be a problem as long as you have a detailed itinerary that you can present to immigration on the way back in to India. There’s more information here:


April 28, 2011 at 9:09 am
(227) Karolin says:

Dear Goindia, do you know which law I can refer to in order to verify if there is a maximum waiting time for visa decision? I have been waiting for a decision for 8 months now and would like to know if this can be indefinite or there are any deadlines? thank you

May 1, 2011 at 2:51 am
(228) goindia says:

Hi Karolin, what type of visa have you applied for and where did you apply?

May 15, 2011 at 7:20 pm
(229) J.K. says:

Hi GoIndia,

Is it possible to work about the two-month requirement by applying for a transit visa? I will be traveling to Taiwan for a week and then returning to Delhi to flight right back to the US. I will need to claim my baggage but not actually exit the airport.

What are the chances that they reject a permit for re-entry? Do India consulates usually grant transit visas?


May 16, 2011 at 12:36 am
(230) goindia says:

Hi JK, yes, you can get a transit visa, that’s a perfectly valid option. Transit visas are routinely given for stay of up to 72 hours. :-)

May 18, 2011 at 10:34 pm
(231) Deep says:

Me and my husband are of indian origin and have Indian passports.

My son is a US citizen. He has a tourist visa valid for 10 years. We came back from India end of April and he will travelling again to India with my mom in June 1st week. I came to know about 2 month rule today. He may stay in India for more than 6 months. So, is it better to get an entry (X) visa for him. Is he eligible to get entry visa. Your response is greatly appreciated.

May 20, 2011 at 12:49 am
(232) goindia says:

Hi Deep,

Yes, definitely do get an X visa for him. He is eligible because his parents are of Indian origin. He can’t stay in India for more than 6 months on a tourist visa, but will be able to on an X visa. It will get around the 2 month rule as well. Only issue is that you might not have enough time to get the visa, so do apply immediately.

May 30, 2011 at 2:55 pm
(233) Ravi Shankar says:

Perfect. Nobody’s perfect but the Indian bureaucrats are perfect idiots. I don’t understand the 2 month rule. What prevents someone from coming after 2 months and creating chaos. Thanks, God I am out of India and don’t have to put up with such idiots.

June 4, 2011 at 3:32 am
(234) Jaisal says:

Hi there,

My wife (Canadian) and I got married 3 years ago in Canada and she came back to India with me in December 2010 on a Tourist Visa (thats what the VFS centre in Canada suggested). We couldn’t get her visa extended in Delhi (MHA) due to the ridiculous amount of bribe they ‘implied’ would be needed to get the job done. Nevertheless, she left India for Canada before her visa expired.

The question: Can she apply for an X-Visa now, from Canada? Does the 2 months rule apply here for her?

by the way very informative thread – thank you everyone.

June 6, 2011 at 2:59 am
(235) goindia says:

Hi Jaisal, in short the answers to your questions are yes, she can apply for the visa, and no the 2 month gap rule won’t apply. She should get the visa with a minimum of fuss in a week or so if all her documents (marriage certificate etc) are in order. :-)

June 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm
(236) elizabeth says:

I received my 5 years X visa today thinking I don’t need to wait the 2 month gap for en-entry. But on the bottom of my new X visa nit says. ” No Re-Entry permitted within 60 days of exit from India. What is going on?

June 16, 2011 at 12:47 am
(237) goindia says:

That is very strange. The 2 month gap is specifically only for tourist visas. It is possible that the person issuing the visa is clueless about the rules (wouldn’t be the first time). Can you get in touch with the Embassy and ask them the reason? :-(

June 23, 2011 at 3:30 pm
(238) Sooru says:

Does Indonesia account as a neighboring country? We are 10 year tourist visa holders currently on a 4 week visit to India. We are planning to hop to Bali for a week and then return to India on our way back to the US.

We are planning to present all the travel itinerary and reservations at the point of entry since our visit to Indonesia was part of the same itinerary. Hopefully, the 60 day rule does not get us!

Has anyone tried this recently? Any experiences getting back into India?

Since we are in India, there is no way to get a re-entry permit and visits to FROs does not help. Am I right?

July 19, 2011 at 11:01 pm
(239) Mzgie says:

I would like to ask is there any way to actually change Visa on Arrival to Tourist Visa? I’m planning on just getting there with Visa on Arrival then change the visa to Tourist Visa; is it actually possible?

Or if you’re planning on working in India but haven’t found a job yet, what kind of visa do I should actually apply? Thanks so much =)

July 20, 2011 at 2:15 am
(240) goindia says:

Hi Mzgie, unfortunately no, you can’t change your visa type once you have arrived in India. If you want to work in India, you need to come with an Employment Visa. However, you can only get an Employment Visa if you already have a job offer with an Indian based company, and it will be paying you more than $25,000 per year. If you come to India on a Tourist Visa and find a job, then you’ll have to return to your home country and apply for the Employment Visa there.

July 21, 2011 at 10:42 pm
(241) Tanvir says:

Hi Goindia,

My neice holds a british passport (indian origin), she recently travelled to India on tourist visa with 6 months multiple entry to visit relatives. From there she is visiting me in Japan for 2 weeks. (we were unaware about the 60 days no-entry rule). Now she will be returning to indian for few days and flying back to London from india.She has all her tickets for return booked. Will she be allowed re entry. Please advice I am too much worried.

July 22, 2011 at 6:50 am
(242) goindia says:

Hi Tanvir, honestly it all depends on the immigration officer at the time. I can’t say for certain one way or another. However, she does have a number of things in her favor:

1)She has all her travel booked on the one itinerary (make sure she carried a copy of this itinerary with her).
2)She only plans to be in India for a couple of days.
3)She is only returning to India to catch an onwards flight on the way back to her own country.

If she is let back into India, she will have to register herself with the FRRO though. http://goindia.about.com/od/visas/ht/How-To-Register-At-The-Frro-When-Re-Entering-India-Within-2-Months.htm

There is one way around it. If she’s only going to be in India for 72 hours or less, she can get a transit visa from the Indian Embassy in Japan.

Best of luck.

August 12, 2011 at 1:19 am
(243) Tanvir says:

Hi Go India,

My neice managed to get reentry permit from the Tokyo embassy. I had to submit only a simple application along with the travel itinery. The Visa officer at Tokyo embassy was very help ful in guiding through this. I hope this information helps other who get stuck in such situation.

August 13, 2011 at 2:10 am
(244) goindia says:

That’s great news Tanvir! Thanks so much for the update. :-)

September 6, 2011 at 3:59 pm
(245) Tabitha says:

Hello Goindia, I am planning to return to the U.S. from India on December 29 (my flt.leaves Delhi on Dec. 29). What is the soonest I can re-enter India? I am a U.S. citizen with a 10-yr. tourist visa. I would like to be back by Feb. 29 for an event that begins March 1, 2012. Much appreciated.

September 18, 2011 at 5:56 pm
(246) Lesley says:

Hi Goindia,
My son is currently in India travelling on a Tourist Visa. My husband is meeting him in India for the last 3 weeks of his trip, and they will be travelling together during the month of November and then returning to the UK together. However, a sad complication has arisen – my father-in-law is terminally ill and dying and my son wants to come back to the UK for a week or two and then return to India. In these emergency circumstances would he be able to apply for a Re-entry Permit? If so, would it be best to apply in Delhi before he comes back to the UK, or in London once he is back in England? If he can apply before he leaves India, where in Delhi should he go to apply and what documentation should he take with him? The hotels, flights etc. for the trip in November are all booked so he can provide proof of them. Thank you so much for your help with our question.

September 19, 2011 at 10:16 am
(247) Lesley says:

Related to the above question about emergency family circumstances outside of India, I forgot to say that my son is on a Single Entry Tourist Visa which expires at the end of January 2012. Thank you again for any help you can give us at this difficult time.

September 20, 2011 at 2:53 am
(248) goindia says:

Hi Lesley, I’m so sorry to hear about the sad situation. As your son has a Single Entry Tourist Visa, he will need to apply for another visa to return to India — so the processing will have to be done in the UK. I recommend that you get in touch with the visa processing centre there and ask them if the circumstances will be sufficient to waive the 2 month gap and other issues (such as applying for another visa back to back). There’s a good chance that it will be. Wishing you luck!

September 24, 2011 at 2:30 pm
(249) Lesley says:

Dear Goindia,

Thank you so much for your help. We’ll let you know how it goes.


September 26, 2011 at 4:47 pm
(250) satoko says:

Hi there.
I got the indian visa May 4th.2011 for 6 months in US.
(expire is Nov.3rd)
I went to Mysore and goa and came back here on July.28th.
I am planing to go to Delhi on Oct.23rd and back to here Oct.30th.
So Can I go into india again ? that is no problem?
I am confusing then Please let me know …

Thank you for your trouble.

September 26, 2011 at 8:11 pm
(251) goindia says:

Hi Satoko, if your have a multiple entry visa, then yes, you can. The rule is that you must stay out of India for at least 2 months between visits, which you will have done. So, it’s fine.

September 26, 2011 at 11:02 pm
(252) satoko says:

yes! I have a multiple visa :)
Thank you for your help,Goindia.

September 29, 2011 at 1:14 pm
(253) Harry says:

Well I had a 10 year visa and had just recently visited India in July 2011. But for some reason i had to go again in August. Knowing about the 2 month rule and everyone telling me not to go, i took the challenge. I travelled thinking i might talk to the manager and make some excuse. But guess, what i walked in a like a king. No one asked me anything.

October 10, 2011 at 6:40 pm
(254) Satoko says:

Hello again, Goindia.

I am Japanese and I have been living America for 4 years now.

In Japan, There was change of the document submitted since Oct.1st 2011. And many Japanese is confusing to get the visa even tourlist visa.
I just checked the requirements of document on Travisa outsourcing but there is no change at this time.
I got the visa on May in US so Do you think it is no effect on my visa?

Some Japanese tell me you should confirm about this.

Would you kindly tell me what you think


October 12, 2011 at 12:40 am
(255) goindia says:

Hi Satoko, if you are living in the US, I wouldn’t be concerned about it. Each Embassy in each country has their own requirements. If you already have your visa, then it shouldn’t be an issue for you either.

October 12, 2011 at 4:29 pm
(256) satoko says:

Thank you for your help, Goindia!

Much appreciated :)

October 27, 2011 at 2:45 pm
(257) joy says:


October 27, 2011 at 3:42 pm
(258) goindia says:

Hi Joy,

Unfortunately, the Indian Embassy is only issuing 3 month tourist visas now. You may be able to get a 6 month one if you go for an interview and can give a good reason why you want it.

26/11/2010 With effect from 29th November 2010 onwards, Embassy of India, Bangkok will normally issue Tourist visas for Single Entry valid for 3 months:
This is applicable for both Thai and Non Thai Nationals.

Thai Nationals- For longer duration of Tourist visas they may be required to appear for an interview or submit additional documents as decided by the Embassy.

Buddhist monks/nuns holding Thai passports intending to visit India for pilgrimage:
Six months multiple entry Visa is granted without the need for an interview.

Non Thai Nationals- For longer duration of Tourist visas they have to appear for an interview and produce additional documents for justification. The decision to issue vests entirely with the Embassy.


October 27, 2011 at 6:31 pm
(259) stuart says:

Hi All my dilemma as I have found out today re: non entry within 2 months:

(Without checking 1st)

I have a return booked from London-Delhi 16th Dec- 3rd Jan

Within this time I have a flight booked from Mumbai to Brisbane, and Kuala Lumpur to Delhi (re-entering within 2 months)

What do you think are the chances of them ‘going easy’ on me and let me re-enter?


October 28, 2011 at 1:12 am
(260) goindia says:

Hi Stuart, I take it that all this travel isn’t on the same itinerary? And how long will you be spending in India when you return before you fly back to London?

Regardless, you can solve the problem by applying for a re-entry permit. Here’s the info from the VFS website in the UK:

Re-entry into India within the 2 month restriction for tourist visas: http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/news.html

In case of requirement to visit India within 2 months, permission should be sought from the High Commission of India, London or the Indian Consulates at Birmingham and Edinburgh directly without going through the outsourcing agency VFS Global (UK) Ltd. Applicant may fill up application from, one photograph, application stating reason for re-entry within two months with supporting documents/travel itinerary etc and a fee of £9/-(Inclusive of £2.00 Consular Charges). Where permission is accorded in such cases, registration with the local FRRO/FRO would be required within 14 days of arrival in India. Request form can be downloaded through the website:


Processing time of the request will be 3-4 working days. However, those applying for fresh Tourist Visas, who after initial entry into India plan to visit another country and re-enter India before finally exiting, could be permitted more than one entry, as the case may, be subject to their submission of a detailed itinerary and supporting documents along with application form.

Don’t stress too much. It will work out for you, I’m pretty sure.

November 1, 2011 at 1:34 am
(261) Nicola says:

Is it possible to obtain a transit visa (valid for 3 days) and enter Delhi by air and depart India, to Nepal, by road? Or is a transit visa only for entry/exit by air?

Also, is it possible to obtain a transit visa within 2 months of departing India on a tourist visa?

November 2, 2011 at 4:29 am
(262) goindia says:

Hi Nicola, as far as I’m aware, yes you can get a transit visa within 2 months, and yes you can enter and depart from any point.

November 9, 2011 at 11:13 pm
(263) David says:


I’m a British national currently on a Business Visa, which should be extended to accommodate my assignment ending in March 2013.

My girlfriend plans to join me in February 2012 for a year – what would the best strategy be for her to come here and return home every so often i.e July and Christmas?

My parents recently visited me and my father managed to get a multiple entry Tourist Visa for one year – he attended an interview in Edinburgh to get this. Would this be the most viable option?

November 10, 2011 at 12:10 am
(264) goindia says:

Hi David, a tourist visa is her only option. However, currently although it’s possible to get a multiple entry visa, it’s not possible to stay in India for more than 6 months at a time. In addition, there must be a 2 month gap between visits. So once she has departed India, she would have to stay out for 2 months before coming back. I believe that this rule is to be abolished soon though, as it’s the source of a lot of frustration for tourists.

November 10, 2011 at 11:13 am
(265) David says:

Thanks for the advice!

Great news on the two month rule – is that a western or Indian soon though?! :-p

November 11, 2011 at 1:03 am
(266) goindia says:

Hi David, Indian no doubt!! ;-)

November 16, 2011 at 3:13 pm
(267) Leigh Stenson says:

OK I just need a quick answer Our plan was to fly to Kolkata( from UK) and then go onto Bangladesh for 10 days and then travel by road/rail to Nepal therefore reentering India before returning to India after about 3 weeks to fly home from Kolkata. This was to be done on 6 month multi entry visas
Will we be able to do this?

November 17, 2011 at 1:02 am
(268) goindia says:

Hi Leigh, yes, it’s okay. These are neighboring countries. Just carry you itinerary/flight details with you.

November 17, 2011 at 4:18 am
(269) asterix says:


I have a US passport and entered India from USA on a tourist visa in Oct. 2011 to visit my parents. I left in a 5 days to Israel on a business trip, but had to reenter India a week later as my dad was hospitalized. I obtained a reentry permit from the Indian consulate in Israel.

Now I am back in the US and want to visit my dad who is still recovering in December during Christmas.

Do I need to apply for another reentry permit?


November 17, 2011 at 10:40 am
(270) goindia says:

Hi Asterix, yes, you will need to as it’s a separate trip. Hope your dad makes a full recovery.

November 24, 2011 at 11:54 pm
(271) Rufus says:

I am a UK citizen currently in Bangladesh. I want to travel through India to Nepal and then go back into India after only one month. Is this possible? I don’t have and flights/transport booked.

I am unsure I can even get my Indian visa here (although I did a few years ago). Should they be able to issue me a tourist visa here?

November 25, 2011 at 3:33 am
(272) goindia says:

Hi Rufus, you could try to get an Indian visa in Bangladesh but I don’t think its readily possible anymore according to the information on the High Commission Website: http://www.hcidhaka.org/visaFor_foreigner.php They only seem keen to accept applications from foreigners who are residing in Bangladesh.

November 27, 2011 at 8:41 am
(273) John says:

My wife and I are traveling to India and Nepal. We are flying into New Delhi on Dec 31 at 7:30 pm. We will leaving the next day (Jan 1) for Kathmandu at 10:55 am. We will be in Nepal for nearly 2 weeks. Then, on Jan 15, we will fly back to Delhi and spend about a week in India on our tourist visa.

On our original flight into Delhi, will we need to stay in the airport for 15 hours in order to ensure our entry into India on Jan 15? Or can we stay in a hotel on Dec 31st in Delhi? This 2 month rule between visits is very troublesome and confusing.

November 28, 2011 at 4:10 am
(274) goindia says:

Hi John, there is a transit hotel that you could stay in in Delhi airport. However, the issue that you may have is that your bags may not be checked all the way through to Nepal so you’ll have to clear customs and immigration to collect them, and check them onto your flight. However, it’s okay for you to re-enter India after Nepal as travel to neighboring countries is permitted if you can show it on your itinerary as part of the same trip.

December 3, 2011 at 6:25 am
(275) R says:

My friend she is an Austrian National and she wants to visit India in feb 2012 .She already visited India in month of oct 2011 her visa is getting exp in Jan 2012.Then she is again applying for visa to come in Feb2012

Is she needs any invitation from family or friends to be here in India for 2 months on her tourist visa .
and she did mention that if it is an friend he should be married.
if a tourist visa is valid for 6 months then why she need an invitation to stay for 2 months .
can u pleas help me in this

Thank you

December 3, 2011 at 2:12 pm
(276) goindia says:

Hi R, I’m sorry, I can’t help you. The Indian Embassy in Austria would be the place to inquire, since they are issuing the visa. I haven’t heard about any of those things.

January 8, 2012 at 10:11 am
(277) helen says:

Hello, please help, I’m finding the whole visa thing a little confusing. I am flying to India on 7th Feb staying a few weeks then planning on a couple of weeks in Nepal – although I don’t have the Nepal flights booked yet. Plan to fly back in to INdia for a couple more weeks before coming home to London on 30th April. I have my return flight booked, just not the Nepal flights. Will I be OK on a regular tourist visa or do I need to apply for a double entry visa? Thanks in advance Helen x

January 9, 2012 at 3:42 am
(278) goindia says:

Hi Helen, in regards to a “regular tourist visa”, if you mean single entry tourist visa, then it won’t be okay. You will need a double entry visa as you will be entering India twice. Do indicate on your application that you plan on visiting Nepal, and submit your itinerary with Nepal flights if possible.

January 20, 2012 at 12:54 pm
(279) blackpearl says:


i have a double entry visa and im going there for the 2nd time. i have already obtained the special permission from the embassy of india in my country.

my doubt is that the person in charge told me that i have to register at frro.since my stay would only be for 2 weeks in india,can i register at delhi’s airport or i have to go to the frro office in delhi.

if so, what are the documents required.its kind of irritates me because any contigencies will definitely disturb my itenerary.

kindly plz advise.thx

January 23, 2012 at 10:29 am
(280) goindia says:

Hi Blackpearl, you can find out more about registering with the FRRO here:


January 24, 2012 at 6:26 am
(281) Raj Singh says:

I don’t understand why anyone would want to stay in India for more then a couple of weeks at a time let alone “remaining in India long-term”.

Its a lovely country to visit for a quick holiday but the bureaucracy and corruption make a horrendous place to be for more than 2 weeks at a time.

January 28, 2012 at 2:13 am
(282) kumarmaroli says:

can a minor girl travel to UAE without parent.whats the procedure

January 28, 2012 at 6:26 am
(283) goindia says:

Hi Kumarmaroli, I’m sorry I can’t help you with that question. I only deal with India related travel. Try asking the airline or travel agent. They might be able to tell you the procedure.

January 28, 2012 at 4:50 am
(284) mike says:

any changes of the visa rules as of 2012
bkk, thailand still only issues 3 months single entry or are they back to 6 months ? thanks

January 28, 2012 at 6:29 am
(285) goindia says:

Hi Mike, their website says they’re issuing 6 month visas.


Validity: Embassy of India, Bangkok will normally issue Tourist visas for Double Entry with 6 months validity.

February 3, 2012 at 3:30 pm
(286) swanny says:

hi,just read raj’s comment long stays in india.i have to disagree.i spent 10 weeks there last year and it wasn’t nearly long enough.am returning on 7th of feb for a longer stay.it takes a good 3 weeks to acclimatize

February 4, 2012 at 6:36 pm
(287) tima says:

Dear goindia,

Thanks so much for the helpful discussion. I have a question. I am leaving for a one-month trip to Delhi with a 5-year multiple entry tourist visa. I would like to spend one weekend during that month in Dhaka, Bangladesh, to visit a friend. Can I do this with the two-month required gap before reentry? If I leave Delhi to spend the weekend in Dhaka, will they let me back into India after just 3 days? Or will I be denied because I have to have a 2 month gap before I reenter the country?

I have already bought a round-trip ticket from the USA to Delhi, so I can’t pass by Dhaka before or after the one-month trip. Will I be able to spend the weekend in Dhaka within that month without an issue? Please help! Thanks so much for your response– my trip is in less than a week!

February 4, 2012 at 10:24 pm
(288) goindia says:

Hi Tima, a trip to Dhaka is fine as it’s a neighboring country. Tourism to neighboring countries is permitted. Just make sure you take a copy of your itinerary to show immigration officers.

February 22, 2012 at 11:03 am
(289) Jil says:

i got some information on post 211, which was about, if reentry is permitted within the 2months-gap, when it is just a stopover.
Actually there are some airlines, which only allow you boarding, when you have the connection flights with the same airline, means you don’t need to go to immigration and your luggage is checked through till your homeport. (e.g. Indigo Airline, check the homepage for details). There were people in Bangkok not allowed boarding the Airasia plane, although having tickets from India directly to their hometown.
I don’t think all of the airlines staff are familiar with all the strange indian immigration laws, but it can be quite risky, if you don’t have a reentry-permit.

February 22, 2012 at 12:36 pm
(290) goindia says:

Thanks for that Jil. The sooner this rule gets relaxed the better. It’s been a couple of years since it was introduced now, and it’s still causing confusion and chaos. :-(

March 9, 2012 at 8:28 am
(291) akilios says:

i got transit in Mumbai.. but i ddnt put Mumbai into the visa.. wt will happn?

March 10, 2012 at 9:04 am
(292) Shashank says:


My wife visited India with a 1year tourist visa and she is of Ukrainian origin residing in Mumbai with my family. Her stay has exceeded 180 days.
I am currently in Africa. Mumbai Airport authorites did not allow her to fly to Africa as per 180 day rule.
Please advise what I will have to do in this case. It would be great if details are provided soon like where she can get her visa regularise and get exit form to leave country.

Thanks and regards,

March 10, 2012 at 9:39 am
(293) goindia says:

Hi Shashank, she will have to go to the Foreigners Regional Registration Office in Mumbai to get it sorted out.

The FRRO Mumbai office is situated at
3rd floor, Special Branch Building,
Badruddin Tayyabji Marg,
Mumbai 400001.
Telephone Nos. For Registration & Visa Enquiry 2262-0446, 22620111 – Ext. 270.
For PIO & OCI Enquiry 022-2262-1167
(The Landmark is that it’s in The Times of India Lane and the nearest railway station is C.S.T on the central line. It is also approachable from the St. Xavier College by the lane beside it.)

WORKING HOURS: The FRRO Mumbai office is open from Monday to Friday between 09.30 am to 01.00 pm for processing of all cases such as registration, extension etc. and on every 1st, 3rd and 5th Saturday’s till 12.00 pm. However, it is closed on Public holidays.

March 10, 2012 at 10:13 am
(294) Shashank says:


Many thanks for you quick reply. Only one thing that is worrying me is, if this exceeded stay can cause any kind of ban on her to visit again.

Thanks and Regards,

March 10, 2012 at 11:24 am
(295) goindia says:

You’re welcome. Unfortunately, I’m not exactly sure what they’ll do about it, although there will definitely be a fine. Do tell me what happens.

March 14, 2012 at 12:50 pm
(296) NLD47 says:

My husband is indian citizen and residing in India . I am a US citizen with 10 yr tourist visa and a five year resident permit as I need to stay with my mother who is not well.
I need to visit the US for some urgent work for three weeks. Does the two month rule apply in the case of my proposed visit given the fact i have five year resident permit valid upto Feb 2013.

March 15, 2012 at 9:55 am
(297) goindia says:

Hi NLD47, where did you get the resident’s permit from (which FRRO)? Strictly speaking, if the rules are to be applied properly, residents permits cannot be issued to people who have tourist visas. Some smaller FRROs don’t follow the rules properly and do issue them though, but it’s not the way things are supposed to be done. It is the visa that over rides the residents permit, and is the superior document. I really don’t know how this irregularity will be treated, I’m sorry.

March 16, 2012 at 5:24 am
(298) KONG says:

Hi, If i holding a 1 year india Business Visa from Malaysia. If i leave India, will i able to enter india after 1 week?

March 17, 2012 at 12:54 am
(299) goindia says:

Hi Kong, is it a multiple entry visa, and have you registered with the FRRO in India? If so, you will be able to leave and return without any issues.

March 17, 2012 at 10:25 am
(300) Shashank says:


I would like to share my experience.
My wife visited FRRO, he asked her to visit local police station and request a NOC kind of letter from them. Same day she visited the local police and got it. Be prepared to provide valid reasons for your delay :)

Next day she went to FRRO. He said everything is fine. Now for us to complete exit formalities you need to pay a fine which was around 2010/-
and provide us tickets of your departure.
This fine rules differ for different countries one belong. Thats it she is with me now.

Thanks for all your help

Thanks and Regards,

March 17, 2012 at 2:19 pm
(301) goindia says:

I’m so glad to hear that, Shashank. What a relief for you. And thanks very much for sharing your experience so that others can benefit.

March 25, 2012 at 3:06 am
(302) ann says:

i have stayaed in india on travel and student visa since 2006 i have all of that time been wit my indian partner.i have travel visa at present which expires nex t month…we have decieded to marry will i be able to change my visa status without going back to uk…………..

March 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm
(303) goindia says:

Hi Ann, yes, you’ll have to have a civil/registry wedding, then go to the Ministry of Home Affairs, Foreigner’s Division, Jaisalmer House, Mansingh Rd, New Delhi and apply for the visa conversion there.

April 27, 2012 at 8:48 pm
(304) Priyank says:

Hi go india,
My wife and i are citizens of India (hold indian passports). My 16 month old son has recently aquired the british passport. We are planning a trip to india on the 20th of May for family visit and i had applied for a double entry tourist visa for my son since we were planning to go to Hongkong for tourism purpose for a week from delhi and come back to delhi. Stay there for 11 days and then fly back to London. The india embassy refused to give double entry as they say Hongkong is not a neighbouring country and gave my son a six month multiple entry tourist visa. We have already booked our holidays and flights to hongkong. Not if they dont allow my son to re-enter india within 2 months, i dont know what to do at this stage.
Please can you advise what i should be doing?
Many thanks

April 28, 2012 at 12:52 am
(305) goindia says:

Hi Priyank, I’m so sorry to hear about your situation. The Indian Embassy have really made a mess of things. They are right, Hong Kong is not a neighbouring country, so this could definitely pose an issue when trying to re-enter on a tourist visa. However, the Embassy did not solve anything by issuing your son a 6 month multiple entry tourist visa, instead of a double entry tourist visa. The same restriction still applies, as it’s a tourist visa! They should know this! I really don’t know how the officials at the Embassy can be so stupid/negligent at times. :-( The problem can easily be solved by getting your son an Entry visa, which he’s entitled to because of his Indian heritage. The visa costs a little bit more, but it has no restrictions on it. Tell the Embassy that you want the tourist visa canceled. You still have time to apply for an Entry visa for your son, if you hurry. It should only take a week. And see if you can speak to someone high up at the Embassy — they have clearly messed up in regards to the tourist visa situation.

April 28, 2012 at 5:25 am
(306) Priyank says:

Thanks very much for your quick reply. A few more questions.
Can i apply for a re-entry permit on the current valid visa from London itself before commencing the journey to India? Will they endorse it on the passport from here? Since this is for tourism purpose and not for emergency situation, can i still apply for the reentry permit before commencing the journey?
Since the cancellation procedure of the current visa is not clear and even if i manage to get the multiple entry tourist visa cancelled, they might ask me to wait for another 1 month before i apply for the entry visa for my son. You might already know how stupid the rules are.
Or should i be apply for a reentry permit from the FRRO offices in India once i am there and before we have to fly out to hongkong? Will they accept our request there in India or will they say that go to your home country and apply for a re-entry permit? Just make us run pillar to post.

Sorry about so many questions but these guys have put me in a very difficult position. I am extremely disappointed with how the visa system works in India. The lady in the VFS london did not tell me about the entry visa that we were eligible for when i was applying for double entry visa even after knowing our whole itenarery in detail and knew i am an indian citizen.

Really appreciate your help in this matter.
Many thanks

April 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm
(307) goindia says:

Hi Priyank, it’s really unfortunate, I just think they don’t want to help people. :-( You can apply for a reentry permit in India, but the process will take up two days and I believe the Ministry of Home Affairs in Delhi (Foreigner’s Division in Jaisalmer House) is the only office with the authority to grant it. You’d have to go there early in the morning, have an interview and discuss your case, return in the evening to collect an envelope with a letter containing the verdict/instructions, then take it to the FRRO the next day to be processed. I don’t believe any FRRO has the authority to issue reentry permits. They simply follow MHA instructions.

You can apply for a re-entry permit at the Indian High Commission in London. They handle re-entry permits, not VFS, and yes they can approve it. You should tell them what happened at VFS and how they didn’t give you proper advice there, and hence the reason why you need the re-entry permit. Show them evidence of having booked your trip already. I think the High Commission should have much more sense than VFS (which are consistently known for being unhelpful) and give you better treatment, since you are an Indian Citizen.

Please do let me know the outcome. And if all else fails, I’ve heard of people easily getting reentry permits at the Indian Consulate in Hong Kong. No running around and only one hour required.

May 8, 2012 at 4:11 pm
(308) Ray says:

I have a Tourist visa with Multiple entry, issued in Feb 2009, expiry Feb 2014. I have not been back to India since my last visit in November 2009. I have now planned to return for a month mid-June, and wanted to know if my visa is still valid? I am confused only because everyone says they issue only 6month Tourist visas!
Would I be better off confirming the validity with my local consulate?
When did they change the maximum validity for Tourist visas?

May 9, 2012 at 9:02 am
(309) goindia says:

Hi Ray, yes, your visa is perfectly valid if it doesn’t expire until 2014. US citizens can commonly get 10 year tourist visas under special agreement with India. This facility isn’t available to citizens of other countries. However, it’s only possible to stay in India for 6 months at a time on any tourist visa, including 10 year tourist visas. Hope that clears it up for you! Have a great trip. :-)

If you need written assurance, have a look here: https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/consular-fees?id=1

May 26, 2012 at 11:05 am
(310) Salva says:

Hi, I have a 6 months double entry visa, issued in Bangkok. I´m from Spain. There is no a 90 days limit stamp. Can I stay more than 90 days in India?

May 26, 2012 at 8:43 pm
(311) goindia says:

Hi Salva, yes, if the 90 day stamp isn’t there, you can stay for 6 months no problem.

May 27, 2012 at 4:24 am
(312) Salva says:

Thanks a lot!

June 9, 2012 at 3:18 am
(313) Ashish says:

I am a Nepali passport holder but have a green card and live in the U.S.
I was I Delhi for 5 months and returned to the u.s on may 9 th.2012 Now I have an emergency and need to fly back to India again on jun 12 2012.
Since Nepali nationals do not need visa to enter India I am confused does the 2 month rule apply to me too. I had a friend in the same situation before and the airlines did not let him fly right from San Francisco.

June 9, 2012 at 11:18 pm
(314) goindia says:

Hi Ashish, no the 2 month rule doesn’t apply to you. You can freely come and go in India with a Nepali passport. The only explanation for what happened to your friend is that the airline is unaware of the rules, or there was some other reason why they didn’t let him fly.

June 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm
(315) Asish says:

Thank you very much.

June 12, 2012 at 1:28 am
(316) GD says:


I read through several of your comments and seem very helpful. We recently got US citizenship and got our Indian Tourist visa. We are planning to visit Thailand for a few days from India and then return to India and then fly back to US.
The tourist visa guidelines says that we can travel to neighbourning countries if it’s on the same itenary. While reading your comments I had two questions:

1. I have booked my Indian tickets separatelu and Thailand trip will be through a different agency. As long as I have my tickets booked to Thailand before arrival to Indian will it be considered same itenary?

2. I saw another person’s comment of being denied double entry visa as Hong Kong is not a neighbouring coutrny. Is Thailand not considered a neighboring country?

The very fact that the site says we “MAY” be allowed re-=entry sounds too riskly as we will be leaving kids back in India.

Your advice is highly appreciated.


June 12, 2012 at 2:30 am
(317) goindia says:

Hi GD, Thailand is definitely a neighboring country, along with Sri Lanka and Nepal. I don’t see a problem with you being allowed re-entry into India. “Same itinerary” is elaborated to mean “if the itinerary shows visits to India and other countries as part of the same trip”. I think you can safely say that it’s all part of one trip. It also looks favorable that you’re going to be flying back to the US soon after your Thailand visit, and not planning a prolonged stay in India.

If you’re really concerned, you can inquire about getting a re-entry permit before you leave the US, although I don’t think it will be necessary.


June 14, 2012 at 4:04 pm
(318) M 4 India says:

i’m a german citizen and i wanted to know if someone knows about the visas to india from the berlin embassy. will i need to go out of india after 90 days or after 180 days .i’m asking about 2 kinds of tourist visas -6 months and 1 year. thanks………………..

June 17, 2012 at 3:27 pm
(319) chats says:

My situation is the same as GD. But I also heard that a person was refused re-entry in bangkok by the airlines since he did not have a re-entry permit. I am trying to find if Thailand is considered a neighboring country but fidning no information.
Will the imiigration officers at the airport in India provide any stamp or letter that says re entry is permitted when you enter India for the first time.
Just like GD we will be flying back to the US one week after returning from Thailand.
I am just worried that my son (who has a tourist visa) will be denied boarding the flight . Any informatiion on this will be helpful. I am so very worried/

June 18, 2012 at 1:47 am
(320) goindia says:

Hi Chats, yes, it is considered to be a neighboring country — although the Indian government has typically not provided any definition of neighboring country. Unfortunately, incidents of confusion do arise when airport staff aren’t aware of the rules.

However, you can see that Thailand is included as a neighboring country on the VFS Global website (Indian visa processing center) in the UK: http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/touristvisa.html

It’s in the section under Double Entry Tourist Visa:

Re-entry on a double entry visa is allowed only from the neighbouring countries*. i.e Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Thailand etc.

No, unfortunately, immigration officers won’t provide you with a stamp allowing re-entry. If you’re at all concerned, you should apply for a re-entry permit before you leave your country (available from the same place you got your visa).

June 18, 2012 at 7:43 am
(321) Chats says:

Thank you for a quick response. Unfortunately we cannot apply for a reentry permit since it takes time and we have to leave next week.
If we take the itinerary and print out of such information as visits to neighboring country does not require a re entry permit, the airport staff might consider it?

June 18, 2012 at 8:17 am
(322) goindia says:

I think you’ll be fine actually. These days, airport staff causing issues are the exception not the rule.

July 7, 2012 at 6:13 am
(323) Eranji says:


A friend of mine ( Israeli ) , with a multiple entry 6 months tourist visa left India two weeks ago to Israel and then came back a week later to Delhi and they let her in…!
( without needing to wait 2 months )
The emigration officers told her that she would not be allowed in a month
ago but now things have changed…!!!

Is it true..?

July 7, 2012 at 2:01 pm
(324) goindia says:

Hi Eranji, the Indian government has been talking about relaxing the 2 month gap rule for a while now (see here: http://goindia.about.com/b/2012/01/28/when-will-the-2-month-gap-on-indian-tourist-visas-be-removed.htm ), but I haven’t heard and can’t find any official announcement about it! I’ll write a blog post about it and see if anyone else has any information or experiences regarding it.

July 14, 2012 at 7:40 am
(325) Anneli Gasiorek says:

Hi there.

I am planning to travel in India from September 23rd to the first week of february – so a bit over 4 months. Then I am travelling in other countries for 3 months and my flight home is booked for May 2nd.

This however totals over 6 months. Does that mean I will not be able to re enter India on a 6 month visa even though I have not been in the country for a total of 6 months?

Many thanks – I have 24hours to cancel my flights so a response would be appreciated very much.

Email: anneliamelia@hotmail.com

July 15, 2012 at 4:55 am
(326) goindia says:

Hi Anneli, it depends on the duration that your tourist visa is valid for. If it’s valid for more than 6 months, then it will be okay. If it’s only valid for six months, then it will have expired before you return to India. (A six month tourist visa is valid for 6 months from the date of issue).

July 18, 2012 at 1:11 am
(327) VoA says:

Hi Goindia

I entered India on an VoA and departed on June 20. I am planning a trip for early August. Will I be able to enter through a regular tourist visa or does the 2 month gap apply even though I’m traveling on two different visas? Your advice is much appreciated.

July 18, 2012 at 2:31 am
(328) goindia says:

Hi VoA, the visa on arrival is a type of tourist visa — so yes, the gap will still apply unfortunately.

July 26, 2012 at 3:14 am
(329) Luke says:

Hi GoIndia,

I have a double entry visa which states “re-entry from Nepal”. It looks like I’ll have more time to visit other neighbouring countries, so I was wondering whether I could, for instance, fly out of India into Thailand and from there go to Nepal before going back into India? Or am only allowed to go into Nepal through India?

July 26, 2012 at 10:38 am
(330) goindia says:

Hi Luke, that’s strange that they’ve put that specification on it. Did you tell them that you were going to Nepal and returning to India from there?

August 1, 2012 at 1:38 am
(331) Alain says:

hello i am going from India to Nepal for the first time as a Canadian, and my friend is Egyptian, we are going to stay for 2 months so as to go back to india WE Hope… we are on a smale buget and we are wondering if u have tips on via s and places to stay and eat!

August 26, 2012 at 9:28 pm
(332) Tony says:

Hi GoIndia

I have a 6 month tourist visa with multiple re-entry for 180 days issued in the UK.

I’d like to spend more time in India but understand that I’d have to leave the country after the 180 days. In order for me to stay in the region and return to India can you advise if it’d be possible to go to Nepal for the 2 month gap (I’d be more than happy to experience Nepal for 2 months), then return to India and, if so, what would I have to do?

Thanks heaps in advance.

August 27, 2012 at 2:24 am
(333) goindia says:

Hi Tony, yes you can do that. You’d need to apply for a new Indian visa from the Embassy in Kathmandu to return to India.

August 27, 2012 at 7:21 pm
(334) Tony says:

Thanks Goindia – that’s great news.

One last question: Are you aware of any difficulties for a UK national obtaining a new Tourist visa for India from Nepal?

Once again, thanks.

August 28, 2012 at 7:53 am
(335) goindia says:

Hi Tony, there shouldn’t be a problem. However, it will take a couple of trips, a lot of waiting in line, and you may not get a 6 month visa as it will be your second Indian tourist visa. It may only be a 3 or 4 month visa.

Here’s more (official) information about the process: http://www.indianembassy.org.np/visa.htm

And some useful non official information: http://ryanbeales.blogspot.in/2012/03/getting-your-indian-visa-in-kathmandu.html

September 25, 2012 at 7:58 am
(336) Jas says:

HI Go india,

I have a have just returned from india on the 4th of September 2012, and my tourist visa has expired on the the 7th of September 2012 .
I have to now return to India for my wedding on 2nd of November 2012 the flights out are on the 26th of Oct 2012.
I have been informed that i must apply for a Entry Visa, is this correct will i still need a seperate re-entry stamp. Plus i am proving my Indian Origin by submitting my Grandmothers Passport will this be adequate ?



September 26, 2012 at 12:10 am
(337) goindia says:

Hi Jas, if you’re of Indian origin then an X visa is suitable for you and it will enable you to get around the rules related to tourist visas. You don’t need to get a re-entry stamp or anything like that — it’s only for tourist visas. The visa processing agency should have a list of requirements/documents on their website necessary for you to prove your Indian origin. Birth certificates might be required.

October 8, 2012 at 10:52 am
(338) Bruno says:

Hi GoIndia, I will be attending a 4-month brahmachari course in India and would like to stay for 1-2 years to learn yoga/meditation at an ashram. How can I stay for 1-2 years? I have documents of acceptance into the 4-month course but how would I justify the remaining time? At the end of the 4-month period I will be a brahmachari (monk in training) and will be living at the cost of the ashram and doing daily volunteer work. Thanks!

October 9, 2012 at 5:30 am
(339) goindia says:

Hi Bruno, what you want to do is difficult because unfortunately, the Indian government doesn’t encourage foreigners to come for extended periods. You can get a student visa for the 4 months, but after this there isn’t really a visa that will allow you to remain. Volunteers usually come to India on an employment visa (for volunteer purposes) but I’m not sure if your ashram would qualify for this, as applicants generally need to be volunteering at an NGO that’s registered in India and they require a letter of invitation/proof of appointment from the NGO.

Also try asking your question on the Indiamike.com forum — there are lots of knowledgeable people there who might be able to help you.

October 8, 2012 at 2:42 pm
(340) Paul says:


I appreciate everything you do here. I left India in 1973 and became a Canadian citizen in 1980. I did not surrender my Indian expired passport and over the years I lost it. I am reitred right now and would like to spend some time with my aging sisters.
OCI appears to be tedious and time consuming. someone recommended a multiple entry 10 yr visa. your thoughts

October 9, 2012 at 5:19 am
(341) goindia says:

Hi Paul, getting a tourist visa will be the most straight forward and hassle-free way to proceed. You will be allowed to stay in India for up to 6 months at a time, with a 2 month gap between visits.

October 25, 2012 at 1:44 am
(342) Kerry says:

I am wondering if the 2 month wait period has been relaxed yet? We had to leave India 3 weeks ago as my father passed away. Now we need to return very soon for 2 weeks. Our 6 month multiple entry visa is still valid but of course we have not fulfilled the 2 month wait period.

October 25, 2012 at 8:33 am
(343) goindia says:

Hi Kerry, unfortunately it hasn’t. However, you can try applying for a re-entry permit based on your situation and unforeseen circumstances. Very sorry to hear of the sad passing of your father.

October 25, 2012 at 7:25 pm
(344) Kerry says:

Thanks Goindia. We will try that. Now I have another question about this. Our visa finishes on 22 Nov. We would like a bit longer to be able to finish the things I need to do there (dental work). What are the chances of getting a visa extension at the same time as re entry?

October 26, 2012 at 1:17 am
(345) goindia says:

Unfortunately, I would say no chance, as tourist visas are generally non-extendable. However, you could apply for an extension in India on the grounds that you had some emergency dental work come up, that you needed to get attended to. You would need to go to the Foreigners Regional Registration Office in that area. Extensions of up to a couple of weeks can be granted for medical issues. Otherwise, if you overstay, you’d have to pay a fine and get an exit stamp in your passport. This is also done at the FRRO. It would take a day.

October 26, 2012 at 1:50 am
(346) Kerry says:

What about our chances of getting a new visa right now? here in Australia? Getting the extension does seem a bit risky, what sort of risk are we taking?

October 26, 2012 at 9:45 am
(347) goindia says:

Hi Kerry, you’d have to apply to get your current visa cancelled. I’m not sure how it would work in regards to the necessary gap. You could ask at VFS and see what they say. How much longer do you want to stay in India for, past your visa expiry?

October 26, 2012 at 3:07 pm
(348) kerry says:

Just 2 weeks. I have now managed to get on to the VFS people and they have indicated that they will be able to give me a new visa because of the circumstances. I will go there first thing Monday with our applications and see if there are any hitches. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks so much for all your replies.

October 27, 2012 at 2:45 am
(349) goindia says:

Hi Kerry, that sounds really encouraging. I hope it works out for you! :-)

November 1, 2012 at 4:42 am
(350) Kerry says:

Hi Goindia,
In the end I gave up, cancelled my appointments and decided to wait until Feb to go. There seemed too much uncertainty. It would have involved a long drive to the visa office to find out if they were able to do it for sure and after reading your other posts I felt there still could have been a long delay in getting a new visa if it needed to be approved by Delhi. Thanks for your feedback anyway.

November 7, 2012 at 8:07 am
(351) reddy says:

my son who holds a british passport has a tourist vusa valid for 6 months.
we went to india on aug 1 and back to UK on oct 26.
now we are planing to go to india on dec 5th and he will have to stay there for another 7 to 8 months.
can you pls suggest wht visas i need to apply?

November 8, 2012 at 10:58 am
(352) goindia says:

Hi Reddy, if your son has Indian heritage (if he, his parents, or grandparents were born in India) he should apply for an X Entry visa. He will need to register with the FRRO in India for stays over 6 months.

November 28, 2012 at 10:53 pm
(353) Omkar says:

I have a 5-years multiple entry tourist visa. I’m currently in India. There is the stamp “Each stay should not exceed 90 days”. I had not realized this stamp earler, and my 90 days are coming full very soon (in 7 days). I had planned to stay in India for 5½ months, and have my return flight booking in february.

I have understood that the 60 days rule has been relazed a bit. I have been reading all these comments, studying the forums and thinking what to do – but still it remains very confusing. I found some info here:

Now it seems that the possibilities are the following:
1) Visit the local Superintendent of Police and apply for extension
2) Visit FRRO office in Delhi and apply for extension
3) Apply for re-entry permit in FRRO and travel to Nepal for some time and come back, and hope they let me in.

I have a medical certificate stating that I am under medical treatment and it is not advisable to interrupt the treatment. I would like to know whether anyone has any recent experience on this – using either visa extension, or visiting neighbouring country to get another 90 days in India.

November 30, 2012 at 10:38 am
(354) goindia says:

Hi Omkar, if you are getting medical treatment, take your documentation to your local FRRO/FRO and apply for an extension there. An extension can be granted for medical reasons.

December 20, 2012 at 3:08 pm
(355) P Shah says:


Me and my family (wife and two kids, 5 yrs and 3 yrs) have US passports but me and my wife are born in India and kids have borned in the USA. Me and my wife have OCI card (dual citizenship for India) and my kids have x-entry tourist visa for 10 yrs. During our 1 month of stay in India in January, we are planning to go to Singapore for a week. I assume it should be okay since me and my wife have OCI, but can you confirm if that’s true? Also would it be a problem for my two kids to have a re-entry within 2 months? Trip to singapore is completely tourism related and trip to india is completely family/tourism related. Your response is appreciated!

December 20, 2012 at 6:16 pm
(356) goindia says:

Hi P, it’s not an issue anymore, the two month gap restriction on tourist visas was recently removed: http://goindia.about.com/b/2012/12/03/2-month-gap-on-indian-tourist-visas-removed.htm

The restriction also never applied to OCI cards, so don’t worry about it! :-)

December 23, 2012 at 12:42 am
(357) Lee Stevens says:

Hello, I’ve read through a lot of question/answers on the re-entry visas.
My question may be very simple but can’t see any other questions like it.
I may be travelling to Indian for just 1 week.
Can I obtain a visitor visa at the airport upon arrival or do I have to apply ahead of time. It may be short notice before I leave so I just need to know asap.

December 23, 2012 at 6:48 am
(358) goindia says:

Hi Lee, it depends on your nationality. More information here: http://goindia.about.com/od/visas/qt/Indian-Tourist-Visa-On-Arrival.htm

December 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm
(359) Devkumar says:

I heard that in India, you have to pay an income tax on all the income from throughout the world, if you stay more than two months in India.

Is it true? do they need an income tax clearance certificate?


December 30, 2012 at 4:58 am
(360) goindia says:

Hi Devkumar, no that’s not true at all. You have to be a resident first before you pay income tax, and for that you have to spend more than 6 months continuously in India.

December 31, 2012 at 12:03 am
(361) anand says:


Thanks a lot for all your help. My kids are born in the US and have been issued a 10 year multiple entry visa(type T) expiring 2021. We are planning to come to India and leave the kids with the grandparents for a period of approx 1 year? Is it possible to do so or will they be allowed to stay only for a maximum of 180 days.

January 1, 2013 at 1:40 pm
(362) Nurma says:


I am British citizen who has been born and brought up in London. I married Indian Citizen. I can not get long term visa because my parents were born in Bangladesh but they do have British passport. I have applied for long term visa but it has been rejected each time and I have been to India 4 times on a 3 months visa.
I gave our marriage certificate and my husbands Indian passport but still get rejected. I was told that I can only get 3 months visa by the VFS. I want to stay with my husband for long term as my husband can not come and settle here in UK.
What can I do?

Thank you

January 7, 2013 at 4:07 am
(363) Niki says:

I have searched for what must be equal to one work week trying to deal with this visa problem.
My friend just married an Indian and went to the Mathura FRRO office and he told her her X visa cannot be converted and she had to go back to Sweden.

From what I have seen here and from Sharrell, this is wrong information, isn’t it?
I also am about to marry an Indian and I have a tourist visa.
I need to know if I CAN OR CANNOT convert my Tourist visa to an X visa!!
Where can I go to get real information? Is there a government web site or office?
Luckily, I am in Dehli.

January 7, 2013 at 7:16 am
(364) goindia says:

Hi Niki, yes, it’s most definitely WRONG information. Some FRRO officers do a fabulous job of not knowing their job and giving out incorrect information. The Mumbai FRRO website tells the truth:



This visa is usually granted for the sole objective of sight seeing, recreation, casual visit to meet friends and relatives etc. This visa is non extendable even in the case of Indian origin. Those who are on 5/10 years Tourist visa can stay in India only up to 180/ 90 days continuously (as per stipulated period).

However, following cases would be referred to MHA, New Delhi for extension and visa conversion -

(A) Tourist visa may be converted to X visa, if a foreigner who has come to India on Tourist visa marries an Indian national during the validity of his/her Tourist visa. Such conversion would be considered subject to fulfillment of following conditions:

(i) submission of a copy of registered Marriage Certificate, and

(ii) report from the concerned local Police station about their marital status which will inter-alia include his/her antecedents, confirmation about their living together and security clearance.

Delhi FRRO should also be aware of this. It tends to be the small FROs that are clueless. I also married an Indian and applied to get my tourist visa converted to an X visa here in India, so I do know from personal experience that it’s possible! ;-)

February 16, 2013 at 9:45 am
(365) May says:

I am a candian citizen and I am traveling to india next week and unfornatly my travel agent put a single entry into india but I will be traveling to Thailand for two weeks in may then be coming back to india. Will I be aloud back in to india. Is it possible to change to double entry when I get to india?

February 17, 2013 at 2:36 am
(366) goindia says:

Hi May, unfortunately you won’t be able to re-enter India on a single entry visa. It’s also very unlikely that they will change your visa to double entry in India, and even if they did it would be a lot of hassle and possibly take days of your time. Your best option is to try and get it changed before you leave (not much time I know) or apply for another visa in Thailand (Bangkok).

March 3, 2013 at 5:41 am
(367) gopalB says:

can any one advise me what is the consequence of some one on a tourist visa overstaying for a few days or weeks ? wil he/she face any problem to exit ? Official website of Indian Immigration Department in their FAQ section state as under:

Q What length of overstay can be condoned by FRROs/FROs?
FRROs/FROs cum Superintendent of Police can regularize overstay up to three months beyond the validity of original visa (including tourist visa) in case of reasonable grounds of delay. However, an overstay fee of US$ 30 (equivalent amount Rs. 1395/-) is charged.

Apart from this, visa extension fee of US$ 40 (equivalent amount Rs. 1860/-) is also charged.

Can one get this exit permit at the Airport at the time of departing , by paying requisite fees ? because when I approached the offices of FRRO /FROs seeking exit permit in advance ,they did not know about this, and just said it is not possible to “Overstay” on tourist visa. ”
If that is so, why is this FAQ answered as above ?

March 7, 2013 at 2:03 am
(368) goindia says:

gopalB, typically, you will be told many different things by government officers. Many simply just don’t know the correct answer. However, I doubt anyone would advise you in advance that you can overstay your tourist visa and get an exit permit. It’s not recommended and you really should leave before your visa expires. The reality is that some people don’t/can’t though. Exit permits can’t be obtained at the airport at time of departure. You need to go to the FRRO in your area, pay the fine, and get it done there. It will take up around a day of your time. And it can’t be done in advance.

March 20, 2013 at 9:18 pm
(369) imken says:

Hello. Wonder if someone can help with this. I’m german, UK resident. I got a 6 months multiple entry visa, expiry 18th March. I left India 7th January. Currently on Bali.
I’d like to get a new multiple entry visa for April, but am not sure if I’m allowed to enter the country already or if I’ve got to wait until 18th May (2 months from stamp date, rather than when I left the country date). And where it’s easiest to get it.

Also, where is it easiest to get it? Would I have to go back to the UK or to Germany, or could I get it on Bali or any neighbouring country?

Hope someone can help :)

April 8, 2013 at 3:42 am
(370) ramesh says:

first of all let me thank you for you sincere approach to help all.

my request is
i am a sri lankan passport holder planing to visit bangkok on a visa on arrival. from bangkok i like to come to india on a tourist visa, since i can’t apply from my home country , can i get indian tourist visa from bangkok if i apply immediately on reaching ?

your reply will be very helpful for me

May 10, 2013 at 2:12 am
(371) AJ says:

Hello Guruji,

I hope this medium help but I can’t imagine our country doesn’t have any easy access to the information for foreign nationals.

I came back from UK and after a year my girl friend came here to see me (she is a british citizen holding uk passport). During her visit unfortunately my mom passed away and she had to extend her visa. We couldn’t find any solid information about going around. Later on my dad found it could be done with PI of our district as we didn’t have any FRO / FRRO office here in Gujarat (specifically Nadiad). Also found about X visa and looking at our commitment towards each other we dicided to get married in the Registrar office. We then applied for extension of visitor visa months ago and all the formalities are done. The guys here were helpful and said they will get all the things sorted to send it to Gandhinagar and then Delhi. Its been over a month and final papers are yet to be recieved. On confirming the PI they say all the formalities are done and we don’t need to worrry as the application was registered in the time limit of my gf’s visitor visa. So she can stay and will get a X visa now.

We were glad less hastle for us. But looking at my work schedule and mon no more she feels lonely. We thought if she could work as a teacher in international school in free time but have no information about how can it be done. Also after reading at your blog she can’t get Employment visa. Can you suggest some option. Also if there is any information of contacting the visa department to know more about the exemptions.



May 11, 2013 at 7:58 pm
(372) goindia says:

Hi AJ, unfortunately, the Indian government doesn’t make it easy for foreigners to live and work in India — even after marriage to an Indian citizen! Here’s more information on employment visas and exemptions: http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/work_visa_faq.pdf

Hope it helps. Another alternative is that she could find an NGO to volunteer at. That would help keep her busy.

May 12, 2013 at 5:52 pm
(373) sadhna says:

These rules have been reversed in 2012.

May 12, 2013 at 9:06 pm
(374) goindia says:
May 20, 2013 at 6:09 am
(375) Melody says:

I have a six month tourist visa to India. If I visit Kathmandu but book a flight home that STOPS (connects) in Delhi or Mumbai, must I stay out for six months? Will they allow me just to land in Delhi and continue on my flight to new york?

May 20, 2013 at 10:49 pm
(376) goindia says:

Hi Melody, depending on the airline, check whether the flight requires you to transit through immigration or not. However, if you have a six month multiple entry tourist visa, you’ll be able to re-enter India anyway, no problems. (There used to be a two month gap between visits, but that was abolished last year and didn’t apply to tourism to neighbouring countries such as Nepal anyway).

July 23, 2013 at 1:17 am
(377) Gladis S says:

Hello, I’ve been reading this forum, and it’s wonderfully helpful, thank you!
I have three questions regarding visa process, and I will seriously appreciate your help, because I’ve been searching for them crazily and I haven’t found anything yet:
I went to India this year, from February 21st to July 3rd. I entered the country in Tourist visa (6 months validity, it expires on August 6th) and I got married with my boyfriend, whom is an Indian citizen. I came back to Mexico (I’m mexican) to change my visa for an Entry one and to finish some other personal business, but I don’t know if I have to apply for change of visa before the tourist one expires (from tourist to an entry one) or just wait until my visa expires (August 6th) and directly apply for a new one, I mean to say, an entry one.
*Do you know what are the requirements for the Entry/X visa?
*Also, can I study my master degree with the X visa?
Thank you so much! :D

July 23, 2013 at 7:55 am
(378) goindia says:

Hi Gladia, you can apply for an X visa before your tourist visa expires. You’ll need to provide evidence of you being married to an Indian citizen. The place where you apply for your visa should be able to tell you the exact documents that they require. Unfortunately, you can’t study on an X visa. It’s a residential visa only. No working or studying is allowed. If you want to study, you should apply for a Student visa. After a year of marriage you can apply for a PIO card in India, which will enable you to work and study in India.

August 5, 2013 at 12:55 pm
(379) craig wooly says:

Hi I wondered could you give me some advice. I only work about half a mile from the Indian commission in Birmingham and wondered can I apply for my visa and my wifes if I have the relevant online application forms to hand along with photos etc for the both of us or does my wife have to attend as well

Thanks Craig

August 10, 2013 at 4:10 am
(380) Bipul Kumar says:

Me and my Philipina Girl friend is getting married in India. Wanted to what are the procedure if she wish to change her citizenship and become citizen of India after marriage. As we intend to live in India together.
Please assist. Thank you.

August 10, 2013 at 8:08 am
(381) goindia says:

Hi Bipul, it’s not possible for her to do that. The Indian government does not allow it. She can get an X type residential visa, and then a PIO card one year after marriage.

August 17, 2013 at 3:04 am
(382) kajani says:

Hi, I was traveling with my uncle to India, who is due to get married in a few days time. He has permanent residence passport from the UK. He had all the relevant paperwork and visa to hand too.
He was however, refused entry into India and was not given any explanations.
What’s should we do to get him back into I dia so that he is able to get married.

Awaiting reply. Many thanx

August 17, 2013 at 7:25 am
(383) goindia says:

Kajani, I’m sorry I can’t help you with that. I don’t know any of the facts. Plus, the information you’ve given is quite confusing. What is a “permanent residence passport” from the UK? I don’t know of any such thing. If your uncle is a citizen of the UK he will have a UK passport, and that’s it. You also haven’t started what type of visa for India he had. The situation sounds suspicious, like he’s been blacklisted for some reason.

August 26, 2013 at 5:46 pm
(384) john says:

Hi I am planning on traveling from US (I am a US citizen) to India this October with my family. I have a 10 years tourist visa which I got last year and planning on staying from Oct 24th to Dec 11th which is less than 180 days. But I am also planning on going to Nepal for a brief visit during this time.
My tourist visa says “Registration required within 14 days of arrival in India for the visa valid for more than 180 days. Not valid for prohibited/restricted and cantonment areas. Tourist visa non-Extendable. No entry permitted within 60 days of last exit from India on T visa”

Will I be able to enter back to India from Nepal since I have to fly back to US from Delhi.


August 27, 2013 at 1:46 am
(385) goindia says:

Hi John, don’t worry, you’ll be fine. The two month (60 day) gap is no longer in effect. Besides, when it was, there was an exemption for travel to neighboring countries — of which Nepal is one. Just make sure you have an itinerary of your onwards flight from Delhi. Happy travels!

August 28, 2013 at 7:38 am
(386) John says:

Thanks. I got my visa last year and I will need to get visa for my wife and 4 year old soon. Is it a good idea to mail the application along with the passport since we live far from the Indian Consulate and ask esp. to have multiple entry without 60 days mentioned in the visa.

August 28, 2013 at 11:59 am
(387) goindia says:

Hi John, if your wife and son need visas, I suggest you apply asap and depending on which office is closest to you, you may need to go there in person. It could take a while as there are a few issues going on at the moment: http://goindia.about.com/b/2013/04/16/changes-in-indian-visa-outsourcing-problems-ahead.htm

September 2, 2013 at 3:18 am
(388) Coral says:


This is a different matter, but someone has told me that in order to enter India, I must have already got my return ticket. I do not have this as I’m not sure when I want to return or indeed if I want to carry on travelling the world. Is this correct information?

September 2, 2013 at 6:51 am
(389) Relyn Fernandez says:


Im Relyn from Philippines in I have friends to India n I like to visit them all.

I just want to know if how should I do to visit my friends n India n how much its cost to the Indian Visa…
Please can u answer my question…
Tnx n God bless.

September 7, 2013 at 7:26 am
(390) Alona Joshu says:

Hi.Im Alona/ iM ukrainian/ married to Indian 3 years/ Have PIO card/ 2
years old son – hes got indian passport/ We want my ukrainian parents
to stay with us in India/ Can they get X visa for 1 year wich can be
extended without leaving India/ My husband and I are ready to take on
all the costs of their stay stay with us/ thanks a lot…

September 7, 2013 at 7:52 am
(391) goindia says:

Hi Alona, I’m sorry, the Indian government doesn’t allow that unfortunately. :-( Sadly, the Indian government is anti-immigration. X (residential) visas are only available to spouses and dependent children.

October 3, 2013 at 9:41 am
(392) Ramnath says:

I hold an OCI Card which allows me to live in India. I usually stay a week or two and long to leave that terrible place. Its cities are littered with trash, drains clogged, traffic without rules is in perpetual gridlock, slums galore, corruption institutionalised……….and lovely people but long-suffering thanks to bad ‘leaders’ since 1947.

Sadly, India (my home country) is now a nation competing with parts of Africa for a race to the bottom – except for its I.T.sector.

Why people from OECD countries would want to live in India for more than a couple of weeks – at best – is beyond me. There must be a mass market for “punishment tourism” out there.

October 10, 2013 at 12:15 pm
(393) helen says:

hi we’ve just returned from goa end of September I have a6month multipul entry visa which runs out 15th feb im wanting to go back beginning of jan for3weeks mayb4…will my visa allow it?

October 18, 2013 at 4:55 am
(394) lois says:

I traveled to Delhi for work purposes last month and therefor have a Business visa valid for 1 year with multiple entry.
Next month I am traveling to Goa for a holiday – will i have trouble entering on my business visa?
Thanks in advance for your help.

December 26, 2013 at 8:37 pm
(395) vikash says:

Hello GoIndia.

I plan to go Mumbai from London (British) in Mid/late January 2014 for two weeks
In thoses two weeks, i wish to go Thailand for 6 or 7days from Mumbai.

Can i return to UK via Mumbai after i fly back from Thailand,
without leaving Mumbai Airport?

Can the Airline collect my lugguage for me and transfer to UK bound flight as it be a different airline from India to Thailand.

Or do i need to clear Immgration to collect & checkin for UK flight?
Do i need a Transit Visa?
I have a 5 year X VISA, Multi entry.

Vikash Mistry

December 26, 2013 at 11:03 pm
(396) goindia says:

Hi Vikash, if you have a five year multiple entry X visa, you don’t need any other visa — it will still be valid. I don’t know whether the airline can transfer your luggage, that’s something you will have to check specifically with them. Happy travels.

February 8, 2014 at 3:06 pm
(397) priyanka says:

hi ! if i m going on tourist visa to india in feb 2014 after how much time i can apply for next tourist visa.

February 8, 2014 at 3:29 pm
(398) priyanka says:

can i take laptop, lcd and any other electronics item to india from pakistan?

March 18, 2014 at 2:44 am
(399) Rajee says:

Hi, um from Bangladesh. Is there any rule of entering in India within 1 or 2 month after issuing tourist visa?

March 18, 2014 at 4:26 am
(400) goindia says:

Hi Arun, you can enter India when ever you want to after the tourist visa is issued up until the date of the visa’s expiry. However, do be aware that validity starts from the date the tourist visa is issued, not the date of entry.

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.